Exynos Galaxy Note 8 Rooted!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-note-8-universe-jpg.77933

There are still some benefits to rooting your Android device. With a rooted Android you have full SuperUser access to your device and can do things like add the popular AudioMod Viper4Android, change your phone's bootanimation, remove system apps, and more. The Galaxy Note 8 has been out now for a few weeks and we already have a root method for the Exynos versions.

The method is simple enough as long as you are good at following directions. There are a few major caveats to this root method. For one it will trip your knox counter. If you root your device with this method you lose Samsung Pay and secure folder forever. Even if you unroot you won't be able to get those two features back on your device. You won't be able to receive OTA's one your device is rooted. I know this is starting to sound like a anti depressant commercial. If rooting your device is worth losing those essential features you can find the full guide below!

via XDA

Attachments

• Galaxy-Note-8-universe.jpg
    Galaxy-Note-8-universe.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 3,998

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I saw the headline this morning, my first thought that came to mind was who is rooting these phones anymore?

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I saw the headline this morning, my first thought that came to mind was who is rooting these phones anymore?
LOL

Anyway, um...so hmm. I don't think there can be a root method without tripping Knox, because it's not only software but also hardware driven. Are there other Samsung devices with Knox, that can be rooted and keep it?

But Samsung Pay??? Dayum! that really puts a wrench in my eventual rooting plans.

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6
The reason that it was quick to root has to do with the Exynos system, which has an UNLOCKED boot loader. Now, let's see how long it takes with a Snapdragon system, which has a LOCKED boot loader.;)

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
it is not just samsung pay that would have issues in the past it was also android pay, netflix and any other service that requires some type of security or a need to check for drm.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
LOL

Anyway, um...so hmm. I don't think there can be a root method without tripping Knox, because it's not only software but also hardware driven. Are there other Samsung devices with Knox, that can be rooted and keep it?

But Samsung Pay??? Dayum! that really puts a wrench in my eventual rooting plans.

The Note 3 could be rooted without tripping Knox. Not sure about the Note 4 as I never owned that device. That was a lot of phones and years ago though and I'm sure lots of changes have been made to stop that from working.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Note 3 could be rooted without tripping Knox. Not sure about the Note 4 as I never owned that device. That was a lot of phones and years ago though and I'm sure lots of changes have been made to stop that from working.

So hope then.

Maybe these phone companies can just leave us "Modders" alone and let us root our devices if we want. Why?
1. It's my device!
2. Android is meant to be used by people who want customization. iOS is for those who want their OS to just work without having to think about customization; it is the way it is, love it or not.

Perhaps rooting needs to evolve. I think Android should evolve to a state where, you know how we have a developer option action, where you press the kernel version 7 times and what not, and it appears? Perhaps if you want root access on your device, you enable it in the settings menu simply by checking an option, and agreeing to what might happen if your phone is rooted. All software that get's installed with root permissions RUN SANBOXED.

Also, by giving us the ability to sandbox applications, I can save the data from the applications, using my own methods (Titanium Backup, etc). This way root applications don't have access to the the phone's general architecture, and things like Knox and Samsung Pay stay safe.

So many good ideas, so few people who care. LOL ;)

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8

some versions of note5 could be rooted too without tripping knox.