EXTREMELY Confused..Help please?

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by Haseo34, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Haseo34

Haseo34 New Member

Well currently as of today, I have FINALLY decided to root my droid 1!
    I was on 2.2 Froyo. FRG22B and all.
    I rooted and decided to buy ROM Manager Premium, downloaded a Kanergrade Iron Man theme..it works. But I am confused.

I see all these things about downloading themes. and roms. and kernals. and matching kernals with your kernal.

What is the first thing I should be looking for?

What do i look for mainly to download? I see downloads for kernals, for roms. What the hells the difference? What exactly should I be looking for and in what order?
  2. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

I'm not rooted, but I suggest SetCPU to change your clock speed.
  3. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

usually wanna put the ROM on first then either the theme or kernel.

just search for froyo kernels.

kernels are mainly to overclock your processor while ROMs will change the whole look of your phone.
  4. kook

kook Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I'd first look at the ROMs features/benefits/drawbacks to see what would best suit you.

I would then look at the themes that are supported for that particular ROM. Choose the one that you like best and install it.

As far as kernels, I would test them out and decide which one works best on your phone. Fromt he endless threads about kernels, there is only one certainty...Everyone's phone likes different kernels.

I would look at support for ROMs and stability. Nothing is worse than installing a ROM that is forgotten about from the DEV and there is no support for your questions.

Hope this helps....good luck.
  5. Haseo34

Haseo34 New Member

I appreciate the fast help :) It helped a lot! Thankyou :D
  6. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

The way it was explained to me is that a kernel is the component between your processor and CPU. "Overclocking" cranks up the speed of your CPU but be careful, each phone is different. What I mean by that is that MY phone could run best (performance, battery life, and stability) at 1GHz but YOURS may run best at 800MHz. Google and these forums can teach you ALOT! As far as an "order" goes, most ROMs will have its own kernel pre-installed but may not run well with each device. Usually, any order would be: ROM, kernel, then theme, with the last two being variable. It takes some experimenting to find the right kernel and clock speed to work best with your device but, I assure you, its WELL worth it! :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App