Extreme Lag

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by SrulDog, Jul 13, 2011.

1. SrulDog

SrulDog New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I just switched from an Incredible running CM7 to the Droid 3. Aside from the sheer disdain I have for Blur right now (I know people are saying it is much better than previous Blur versions, but this is my first Blur experience and I must say I think it sucks), my phone is EXTREMELY LAGGY.

Often times, after using an app or looking through my app drawer, it takes 5 to 6 seconds for the home screen to populate. wth??

Anyone else have an extremely laggy droid 3? With a dual core 1ghz there is absolutely no excuse for this!1

notes - I tried restoring data from my Inc to the D3 using MyBackup and it did not work - maybe it messed something up?

I have an animated backgroud. Could this be the culprit?

2. hobby31

hobby31 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    This sounds like the same thing that the X2 is notorious for. I have the X2 and it did this until I ran the supercharger script. I believe both phones have the same dual core processors and I think moto isn't utilizing it right. My X2 runs a lot better after supercharging but at times apps just close themselves and other random stuff. You can try looking in the x2 forum for the supercharger script thread. I believe it should work on the d3 also.

3. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Supercharger script won't work since the DROID 3 hasn't been rooted yet.

Turn off your screen animations and get rid of the live wallpaper. It should help some

Liberty Gingercomb v.09

4. SrulDog

SrulDog New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the feedback. silly that they would allow two dual core phones to make it to market with such bad lag. perhaps blur is the culprit?

I got rid of the live wallpaper and started using launcher pro. Not only do i not have to deal with Blur, but the lag seems to have drastically improved. I do encounter a glitch when I turn on the screen by sliding the keyboard out, but i'll go bother federico morales about that ;)

5. b00mb00mchuck

b00mb00mchuck Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I had some slow problems the first couple days... then I thought.. all those apps that reinstalled from the market when I synced the phone ... ??? ... so I dumped everything.. started over.. just downloaded the ones that I use frequently.. all the others are still there in the market if I need them "purchased"... why not use the market as app storage for stuff I hardly use anyway..

Point is... it really helped.. some of those cheap crappy games and stuff were really screwing me over always running in the background and I suspect not playing well with D3 2.3.4

As of now... no lag... no problems... no freezes.. no force closes.... nice

6. NoBloatware

NoBloatware Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Gotta plug Go Launcher EX, free in market. When the latest "update" for the Droid came out the powers made the home launcher laaaaaggggggg. Truth:
    - home replacement app causes original launcher to NOT RUN and is WAY BETTER
    - "they" are dragging Android down so you feel compelled to upgrade continuously obviously

7. SrulDog

SrulDog New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I started using launcher pro and things are soooo much better. Any reason to go with launcher ex over launcher pro?

Also, ill never buy a touch screen again. I wrote this with no typos in under a minute. Go d3 keyboard!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

8. islander90

islander90 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed I have a tiny tiny bit of screen redraw when going back to home but it's not enough to bother me. I loaded the Blur Bookmarks widget at one point and the redraw lag was crazy. Threw the widget in the trash and it was right back to normal. So number of widgets or type of widgets might be a bit slow with the Blur homescreen setup

9. aramos87

aramos87 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Launcher Pro , ADW Launcher/ex and GO Launcher Ex are all good launchers to use, they all rid your phone of almost all transition lag and its alot smoother than Blur (obviously). As far as which one to use, its all on preference, GO launcher and ADW have better theming then Launcher Pro, but LP also has bad ass widget theming. I say try them out and see which you prefer. Personally I like GO launcher.

10. AZDroid09

AZDroid09 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been really testing what this phone can handle during my 14 day return window. I loaded it up with lots of widgets, apps that update frequently with push notifications and alerts. The killer seemed to be adding a live wallpaper, then I was frequently getting home screen redraws. Sometimes just the Quick Contacts widgets needing to reload contact pics, other times completely blank screen that had to reload all widgets and app shortcuts. The redraws still recover much more quickly than my OG Droid. Switching to a regular wallpaper was a big help, the Forest wallpaper was just using too much memory.

I'm thinking this is more of a RAM problem than processor problem, really wish they had given this a gig of RAM.

11. aramos87

aramos87 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Yeah I totally agree with you on that 1GB of RAM wouldve been better, but this phone just shouldnt be as laggy as it is with the processor it has. I have been doing the same and trying to use it to the max within my return window, and with all of the lag, the bloat, and the constant reboots I have to say I might be taking another trip back to Verizon sometime this week. I might as well hold out for the Bionic.

12. AZDroid09

AZDroid09 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had no reboots, would love to remove the bloat, live wallpapers are more gimmicky than they are useful so if it performs well without it I am cool with that.

I know that every device has its issues. My son has the TBolt, more RAM, but his constant reboots are ridiculous, even after the update that was supposed to fix it. I'm still undecided about returning this and waiting/hoping the Bionic will be better. But logic tells me that the Bionic will be more expensive and probably have issues too.

13. aramos87

aramos87 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah the price on the D3 is unbeatable, especially if you have the upgrade price or corporate price which makes in only $149.99 which is what I paid, and the Bionic is definitely going to be an expensive phone. Most Verizone 4G LTE phones right now are running from about $250-$300 (2 yr price). And its definitely safe to say that it will have its issues, so I guess i can say I am in the same boat as you.

14. AZDroid09

AZDroid09 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I got mine for $169, but then if I return it have to pay the $35 restocking fee...

15. aramos87

aramos87 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah maybe I will hold on to mine a bit longer, maybe and OTA update will fix our issues...