Extra Battery and Charger

gravity

Reaction score
I am considering ordering an extra battery and battery charger with the Droid, and am wondering if anyone here uses these.

I've never used an extra battery with a cellphone before, and I'd like to know how/if it holds the charge. Does it need to stay on the charger until you're ready to use it? How does this work exactly?

samredman

Reaction score
I bought an extra battery, I charged both up in the phone one by one removing a fully charged one and putting in my wallet (I have the long kind where you don't fold your bills) which has a nice place just right for the battery. When one goes down, I pop the charged one in (and store the depleted one in my wallet). It seems to hold the charge just fine. When I get into a place where I have a charger access, then I just repeat that cycle. Works great for me.

thatguychuck

Reaction score
The battery chargers are 20 bucks (also ordered from Verizon.) This is the setup I have also and is really the most convenient. The batteries hold the charge just fine, I run one dead and then pop it back in the charger whenever I get home.

OP
G

gravity

Reaction score
Thanks, Chuck. :) The battery charger looked portable to me... as if you would leave the battery in the charger when on the go. Is this the case? Can it be connected by USB as well?

thatguychuck

Reaction score
I suppose you could leave the battery in the charger for "on the go," but I usually just keep mine in my pocket. I figured as long as my pocket isn't full of other stuff it should be just fine. This is the same setup I had on my Storm and didn't have any issues.

FYI, the battery charger does not actually connect to anything on it's own. It comes with a wall charger for the phone, and that is what plugs into the battery charger. The charger has a much longer cord than the USB one that came with the device, so at 20 bucks it's actually a pretty good deal.

I haven't tried to charge a battery via computer and usb cable, but I suppose it would work as long as it can pull enough juice from the computer.