External speakers for Droid.

Mjaydakid

Reaction score
Are there any docks that include external speakers for Motorola Droid? I need a LOUD alarm to wake me in the morning. As loud as the internal speaker is, it can't overcome my apnea.
Hooking up powered speakers to it will do the trick but the SO wants the bedroom to stay "neat & un-cluttered" (whatever that means).

eliassami5

Reaction score
basically any computer speaker system would work, look for laptop speakers or notebook speakers with 3.5mm jacks. Logitech makes some nice looking black ones, there are also many ipod external speakers that would work with your DROID if you prefer the white look.

cuskit

Reaction score
I use Bose powered speakers at home (awesome and outrageously loud) but only for music. At my office I use Altec Lansing speakers - very good for the price. Both have the 3.5 plug necessary for the Droid.

Have you tried the rooster for your wakeup call? I use that and I think it would wake the dead! Not so much the volume as the shrieking sound of the rooster! I hate it, but it DOES the trick - gets me up every morning cursing! :cus: mikey :)

johall07

Reaction score
there is no dock because the charger port doesnt support sound (or at least thats what someone said in another thread i havent personally looked into it) so no matter what you are going to be plugging in a 3.5 mm so anything with that is what you are looking for

cyber3d

Reaction score
Motorola EQ5 Wireless Travel Stereo Speaker

This looks pretty cool. It's bluetooth so you don't need any cable connections. I think you should try it and give us a report!

click

4040.jpg

• Bluetooth wireless technology
  • Pocket-sized, sleek form-factor
  • SRS WOW HD™ enhanced stereo performance - this SRS thing really works!!!! It's great.
  • Speakerphone and controls for hands-free functionality
  • Noise-reduction and echo-cancellation technology for clear communication
  • Bass ports for improved sound
  • Discreet desk-stand
  • 3.5mm jack to connect to MP3 players
  • Micro-USB connection for charging and power- looks like you can use your computer to power the thing.

Last edited:

sheriffwoody

Reaction score
I bought one of these (the Motorola EQ5).. I love the bluetooth, workds great. I love that the charger is the same micro usb as the droid. Great battery life. Definitely sounds a lot better than the droids mono speaker. But no bass to speak of. Worth the $30 for sure! They have an EQ7, but it uses aa batteries, not built in rechargable like this one.

Would work great next to your droid on your nightstand to listen to some tunes or alarm clock. Works with phone call and pandora too! Has ff/rew buttons, play pause and volume.

Anyone know of a small portable boombox to hook in my droid for the beach, etc??

cuskit

Reaction score
I've been using my Bose Powered speakers hooked up to the audio output jack on my Droid. I have to tell you - when that "rooster" wake-up call goes off at 5:30 am in the morning - the whole neighborhood wakes up! Yikes! :) But that's what I need to be sure I get up (I'm not a morning person)! :) mikey

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hahaha too funny...

I agree that I wish there was a dock that you coudl just drop your phone into, however I use a case on my droid and I hate how even to put it in my car dock I have to take the back off. I didnt look into the home dock because I am sure I woudl have to uncase it yet again. I also just plug my phone into the wall, and my jack to some nice 15 inch speakers... Boom

cuskit

Reaction score
Hahaha too funny...

I agree that I wish there was a dock that you coudl just drop your phone into, however I use a case on my droid

Funny you should say that! Type the word MIKRADLE into the search here on the forums... ;) Of course - you still need to plug in the cable. If this helps.. :) mikey

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hooking up powered speakers to it will do the trick but the SO wants the bedroom to stay "neat & un-cluttered" (whatever that means).
As mentioned above, you'd have to connect anything to the headphone jack anyway. If you already have powered speakers, try looking into one of the BT audio gateways. Just connect it to the powered speakers and neatly tuck away all the cables. No need to plug in the Droid.