external microSD card.... went from 16GB and 32GB and FROZEN droid razr

jp233

Reaction score
BACKGROUND: device is a stock XT912 RAZR on ICS 4.0, unrooted and unmolested (and I hate ICS, after having it only barely over a month - I waited forever to "upgrade", want to go back to Gingerbread.... but I digress)

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade my 16gb removable card to a 32gb, but the phone just freezes constantly with all the data moved.

Note: I ONLY have raw data files on my removable SD card -- music, pictures, videos, etc.

I put the new 32GB microSD card into the SD Card adapter, and into my laptop. Then plugged the phone into the USB and moved all 14.2 GB onto the new 32GB card that way. The folder/file structure is the same. Then, unmounted the 16GB card in the phone, removed it, and replaced with the 32 GB card. The phone will find things in My Gallery etc, but will freeze and die. I've had to reboot ten times and just by pulling the 32GB card, the phone runs fine. I've gone back to the 16GB card which is full, for now.

The whole Internal vs. External SD card labeling in ICS is stupid, as I do have a bunch of Apps in the /mnt/sdcard section (288MB worth). I have the Camera set to place all camera files (pics & video) onto the External SD card. I thought since this is actually "Internal" (aka non-removable) storage that I would be able to move all the data the way I did and voila! I have a lot more storage space. I don't want to have to go through and delete music, and I'm simply going to continue to add files due to kid pics and video.

Do I need to re-format the new 32GB card FROMthe phone? If so - then would it still be recognized in my Windows7 laptop to transfer all the data files from the 16GB card?

Or, what did I do wrong and how do I do this?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do it backwards, place the 32GB card in the phone, and let the phone format it so Android can use it, put the 16GB in the adapter and in your computer, and proceed to move things over as desired.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Do it backwards, place the 32GB card in the phone, and let the phone format it so Android can use it, put the 16GB in the adapter and in your computer, and proceed to move things over as desired.
+1 on what he said.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Yep, that's what I did.
I've heard of some 32g and 64g sdcards not working in Motorola phones. It has something to do with the latency I think. The recommended is 5 or higher if I remember right. What is the make and latency of the card you are trying to use.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've heard of some 32g and 64g sdcards not working in Motorola phones. It has something to do with the latency I think. The recommended is 5 or higher if I remember right. What is the make and latency of the card you are trying to use.

Card speeds are measured in classes, starting at 2,4,6, and 10.

I have a Class 10 32GB card and works just fine. I also have a 64GB Class 10 card that DOES NOT work, but has nothing to do with class, just the fact that the 64GB is formatted as exFAT instead of FAT32 like the 32GB card is, and Android (at least ICS 4.0.X) does not like exFAT.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Card speeds are measured in classes, starting at 2,4,6, and 10.

I have a Class 10 32GB card and works just fine. I also have a 64GB Class 10 card that DOES NOT work, but has nothing to do with class, just the fact that the 64GB is formatted as exFAT instead of FAT32 like the 32GB card is, and Android (at least ICS 4.0.X) does not like exFAT.
Thanks macpro...I knew it was something...latency was the first thing that came to mind. I wonder if a class 4 that he is using is the problem? I know there was some discussion a few months ago on the Motorola Support Forum about the issue of "class" for sdcards.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Class 4 is pretty standard and should work without a hitch. Some phones have issues with Class 10 in the past, but Android has been doing a good job at keeping up with the SD Cards. Gingerbread and Froyo especially picky about the Class 10 cards. ICS should not have issues with Class 10 but most phones don't like the 64GB cards because of the different stock file system it uses.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Well...I don't have any other help to offer. If the phone will format the sdcard then I don't understand why it won't read it. Maybe a defective card?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well...I don't have any other help to offer. If the phone will format the sdcard then I don't understand why it won't read it. Maybe a defective card?

I'm thinking he just needs to reverse his process.

Usually have better luck and results if you let the phone format the card first, I've had issues in the past where I'll format in Windows first with stuff on the card before I put it in my phone and I'd run into issues here and there. Formatted from the phone, move stuff back on, and worked just fine from there on out.

OP
J

jp233

Reaction score
I'm about to go try and do it in the reverse direction... I'll erase the 32GB card in Windows first, then swap it into the phone and hopefully the phone will run long enough to let me format it.

This is a BNIB SanDisk 32GB SDHC card, Class 4.

On sale black friday style for $15.99 at MicroCenter, came with the card adapter too.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

OP
J

jp233

Reaction score
Put the 32GB card in the laptop. Erased all files. Unmounted the 16gb card and inserted the 32gb card. I even had the device on the Settings/Storage page so that I could immediately click "Erase SD card". It wouldn't even let me do that -- froze up instantly.

Then I hard rebooted it and put the 32GB card back in the laptop, and had Windows format it FAT32.

Put it back in the device and it seemed to be OK. Device said "checking SD card" and I was able to click on "Erase SD card". It did that and seemed happy.

Then I put the 16GB card in the laptop. As soon as I plugged in the USB cable to the device, it froze again!

I hard rebooted it again with it connected to the laptop via USB, and as soon as I could see the drive contents of the 32GB card in the device, I dragged all the files onto there. It will surely sit there for another 2 hours and move all this crap, and it seemed fine at first. Then I tried to swipe back one page to the home screen.... and it's not moving....

I'm just going to let it go and hopefully it was just being slow and not wanting to be messed with since it's taking on a ton of data in. I had quickly selected airplane mode so that it wouldn't be getting emails/etc while it was doing all this. But I walked away quickly because now I'm getting angry.

If this doesn't work, I'm taking the damn card back and I'll try another one, right there in the store. If that one doesn't work, then my phone is defective and it will sleep with the fishes. I really want a RAZR MAXX HD anyways but I really don't want to pay a dime for anything though, I'm so frustrated they came out with the Maxx so short after the RAZR, and my RAZR won't make it through one full day without charging and I don't use GPS or wifi during the day, ever.:angry:

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's weird... I can't imagine its the card, the but hey anything is possible. Try another 32GB card just to be sure its that card, cause that is really strange.