External Microphone for Video

tomophojo

Reaction score
Hi, I have been testing a Motorola Droid phone for possible use in a live internet streaming capacity using the Qik service. The video quality is quite surprising and impressive, however the audio could be better.

Does anyone know of a way to use an external microphone, either wired or wireless (Bluetooth) , that can be used in place of the built-in microphone? I would like to be able to place a microphone on a person and be able to either live stream or record a video clip.

Thanks for your help!
Thomas

OP
T

tomophojo

Reaction score
Externam Microphone for Video

I did try with a Bluetooth headset which was paired & working for phone calls, however I couldn't find any sort of setting or preference within the video app or in the Qik app to be able to select audio sources/microphone.

Perhaps a future software upgrade would take care of that??
Thomas

eziopinza

Reaction score
Thomas

I'm looking for the same thing...any luck with the mike situation?

OP
T

tomophojo

Reaction score
Hi, I haven't been able to find a solution yet for an external mic on the Moto Droid. I'm thinking (hoping more like it) that in a few months the dev guys will do a software upgrade to--at the very least--be able to select the Bluetooth headset as a audio source. That would be mondo awesome.

TM

bmccall17

Reaction score
Microphone Quality boost!

The external mic solution needs to be discovered.. there are too many excellent mics out there that work wired and wireless on the Droid... something has got to work for improving the audio since that is what Live Streaming is ALL ABOUT!! Video is secondary to actually HEARING the talking picture, imo.
icon_%20banana.gif
Where you at.. Where you at?!

Guchi

Reaction score
this is what I was just researching and i ended up back here:icon_eek:
anyone have anything constructive?

jbakelaar

Reaction score
I also was searching for a better mic - the built in mic can't handle any sort of variation in tone and forget about it when the volume goes up. I'm pretty happy with the tumbtack mic I got. It was made for apple but it works on my droid, and it's worlds better than the built in mic. Just plugs right in to the headphone jack, don't ask me how it works, it just does. I've been able to stream and record rock concerts with it. It can handle diverse tone and volume. The only drawback i've found so far is that the phone doesn't make noise when the mic is plugged in and someone calls, probably since it plugs into the headphone jack.
Do a search for thumbtack mic and you should see choices. I went with the "switcheasy" brand. I hope this helps.....now can someone splain how I can tether and external video camera to my droid :)
Welcome to SwitchEasy

BrokerDon

Reaction score
Phono jack on Droid X does not seem to work w/ video

I use a Plantronics wired headset for phone calls with my Droid X, which works great. When trying to shoot video, while this headset is plugged in, the Droid insists on getting the audio from the onboard mic(s). The headset mic seems to be disabled while in video mode.

So I assume from this test that an external mic scenario for video just isn't going to work. Unless maybe a software change can allow selection of audio source.

jbakelaar

Reaction score
The A855 uses the switcheasy thumbtack mic for all sound input when its plugged in; including when recording or streaming video. I wonder if its a difference between the A855 and the X or a difference between the microphones?

patricman

Reaction score
Very close match to what I am looking for

But the thumbtack mic is really just the size of a thumb. Anything bigger and better like iRig Mic ? Gives me hope that this one might work even though it is also designed for iphone. Please help.