External Keyboard for Droid?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by knightshade, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Spartan

Spartan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Pairing wasn't that difficult had I just looked at their website first. My Droid recognized the keyboard right away, but I couldn't get it to connect. Didn't realize you needed to connect thru the KeyPro application. Once I did that it worked.

2. Erich_F

Erich_F Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see why not. Bluetooth functionality is not affected by the docks.

3. Erich_F

Erich_F Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. I think I will get one of these for short trips...then I can leave the Laptop at home. I really just need a keyboard to keep up with my all my forums. :icon_ banana:

4. Erich_F

Erich_F Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, how's the KB working out for you so far?

I'm about to bite the bullet for one.

Thanks,

5. Spartan

Spartan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So far its working well. Haven't really put it thru its paces yet as I haven't been on any business trips yet this year. I do think it will be great not having to drag my laptop thru airport security. I'll know more in a few weeks.

6. trpster

trpster New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got the Freedom Pro keyboard yesterday, and even though I'd read Spartan's pairing comments, I still flailed a bit before getting it working. This post is intended to help others who get external keyboards.

As Spartan indicated, you must first get KeyPro to connect with the keyboard before Bluetooth pairing. Their website provides clear instructions on how to accomplish this.

Following that, you must execute the Bluetooth pairing, and here is where I encountered a problem. Following the pairing process the Bluetooth pairing screen indicates "Pairing but not connected," even though the KeyPro app still says "Connected." Apparently, as long as KeyPro is connected, you are good to go.

The KeyPro website (actually MyMobileGear.com) then describes that you must tell the Droid to accept input from KeyPro in the setup section, but the picture on their web site doesn't match my Droid's setup screen; no matter, you just have to find it.

The final piece of the puzzle is telling an application to accept entry from KeyPro rather than the Android keyboard, and this is accomplished by a long press on the entry window; a window will pop open with a dialog box where you can select "KeyPro."

All of this is (except the "Pairing but not connected") is covered well in the KeyPro website, so plan to review it before attempting to connect an external keyboard. And thanks to the developer for creating the driver; with a foldable keyboard and a Droid, you really can leave your laptop at home.

7. InvalidUserID

InvalidUserID New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Received my keyboard today (Freedom Pro) and like it.

Pairing was pretty straight forward; however, one piece of instruction could be better clarified. As previously mentioned, to get the Droid to accept input from the app/keyboard you need to navigate to the setup section. I didn't find it initially.

On the Droid (v2.0.1) it can be found it here:
    Settings>>Language & Keyboard>>Text Settings>>Keypro [check box]

I spent ~5mins trying to figure out why I couldn't input any text, despite being paired & hearing the sound emulation.

Other than that hiccup, this is an awesome app and definitely money well spent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[Palm Tungsten T with Ultra-Thin Keyboard pictured for comparison.]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Erich_F

Erich_F Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is awesome stuff, guys...thanks for posting. What vendor did you get your boards from?

Thanks,

9. InvalidUserID

InvalidUserID New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't want to be spamming any links, but if you go to the developers site he lists a 15% off coupon code.

It's $89 - 15% = $76+free shipping
    [9.75% tax in Ca, thanks Arnold :mad: ]

Cheapest price on Google $89+shipping.
    Seems like a decent deal.

10. Spartan

Spartan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I was lucky, found my Shasta Keyboard on Ebay. NIB $34.99 with free shipping.

11. rod

rod Member

Ratings:
    +2
    late december i purchased this keyboard : https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27685

[​IMG]

just wanted to let yall know that after a loooong wait, it finally arrived. free shipping across the pacific? im impressed. however, i'm not too knowledgeable abt bluetooth. ive had a rough day dealing with inspectors and subcontractors, so maybe ill do more research trying to get it to connect tomorrow. ill give yall a write-up about how it works once i get it up and going.

i will say right now that i like the style, feel and size of it. i wanted something that i could lay on my couch with my feet up and the keyboard in my lap, and this thing feels like its perfect for that.

12. andulinde

andulinde New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Very nice thread.

What do the Send/End buttons on the Freedom Pro keyboard do for the Droid? Can you set those to open the phone app/dial, and hang up a call?

Search tags for this page
anyone interested in creating an interface for the palm wire
attachable keyboard for android phones
attachable keyboard for droid razr
droid razor compatable keyboard
droid razr external keyboard

droid x external keyboard

palm universal wireless keyboard android
palm wireless keyboard android
palm wireless keyboard driver for android
stowaway shasta bluetooth keyboard android