External DVD drive on the xoom xoom?

supremekizzle

Reaction score
Do any of you think (or know) if it would ever be possible to use an external dvd drive on this tablet? I would like to use it to watch movies but think I will just buy a netbook if a tablet realesed in 2011 doesn't even have dvd compatibility.

chcougar1

Reaction score
Do any of you think (or know) if it would ever be possible to use an external dvd drive on this tablet? I would like to use it to watch movies but think I will just buy a netbook if a tablet realesed in 2011 doesn't even have dvd compatibility.

Well considering it IS 2011 and everything is going digital...probably not

ctxx24

Reaction score

everything is going digital? what a stupid answer...ya thats why

chcougar1

Reaction score

What is your answer then? That is my only guess. Companies want you to buy/download the movies directly from the app to the tablet

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why bother to 'carry' around a DVD drive and have to connect it? IF you already have the DVD just rip it and either stream (if your home) or copy the movie to a microSD... DVDs (including BRs) are a dying tech... why mess with all the physical crap. If you don't have the DVD yet (i.e. future releases) by a digital version and have it everywhere you go (again, including on your SD card).

If you're really attached to your archaic/dying media the Xoom has USB ports so if you are so willing and capable you could write drivers for it (probably some linux guys out that could do it for you) but I wouldn't count on it being readily available.

chcougar1

Reaction score
Why bother to 'carry' around a DVD drive and have to connect it? IF you already have the DVD just rip it and either stream (if your home) or copy the movie to a microSD... DVDs (including BRs) are a dying tech... why mess with all the physical crap. If you don't have the DVD yet (i.e. future releases) by a digital version and have it everywhere you go (again, including on your SD card).

If you're really attached to your archaic/dying media the Xoom has USB ports so if you are so willing and capable you could write drivers for it (probably some linux guys out that could do it for you) but I wouldn't count on it being readily available.

Thank you. I still buy physical movies but realize technology is changing to digital

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I still buy physical movies but realize technology is changing to digital

I can understand still buying the physical disks but if want to carry them you're better off with a larger laptop with a DVD drive. The idea(l) of a Tablet is it being small and portable. Having a 10" table tethered to a external drive is kind of.... well... And 32G micro cards are coming down so you could rip several disks to take with you w/o the clutter.

If you want to buy some cheap DVD's I'm offloading my last ~150 that I've finally ripped an put on my media server (I now have 400+ movies and TV shows I can access from ANYWHERE, no disks needed:icon_ banana:)

ctxx24

Reaction score
Wow I apologize for being rude. I just read what I wrote I was wasted....all I was trying to say was I don't think 2011 is the reason it wont take a drive ...8 yegar bombs 2 tequila shots and 6 beers and I was online shoulda been out. P.s. no I don't wana buy dvds I only have blurays..and movies on my pc.

turtlerck

Reaction score
I don't think you can use an external dvd drive on a tablet, I never heard it.

I always use the dvd ripping software to convert dvd my devices then play it in HD video formats, you can refer to this guide.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
u can rip DVD to Xoom compatible formats for enjoying.

Yes you can and DVD catalyst works great for ripping DVDs to xoom or any phone format for that matter.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

kennyc

Reaction score

Not really. Most/many movies are now being made available by streaming at Netflix, Amazon, Google, etc.

Maybe they'll release a bluetooth dvd player though eh?

tasedandconfused

Reaction score
IF YOU DOWNLOAD ANYMOVIE IN MP4 TO CAN PLUG YOUR ZOOM TO YOUR PC GO TO YOUR MOVIE FOLDER ON YOUR XOOM AND COPY IT OVER. WORKS GREAT. I SEEN MOVIES FROM PIRATESBAY CHANGED FORMAT TO MP4 AND TRANSFERED TO MY XOOM. LIKE COPYING AND VIDEO FROM A THUMB DRIVE TO YOUR PC. SAME CONCEPT.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

galaxybror

Reaction score
Yes, i also agree with that you can have a DVD ripper, i don't want to pack a DVD driver on my journey
and i think, after ripping DVD, you can store it in your TAB, you just needn't carry your DVD driver everytime
to me,it's troublesome indeed!