External Battery Charger

robrecht

Reaction score
Hi, all.

I bought 2 back-up batteries: a 2nd standard size battery and the bulky extended life battery.

Now I really need a couple of external battery chargers so I can keep the back-ups charged and ready to go. Anybody seen these yet?

I do have a Seidio Multi-Function Charger, but they don't yet have model specific part for the Thunderbolt.

I've also seen some of the super cheap things on eBay, oftentimes budled with 2 or 3 batteries for like $12. Obviously total junk. Since the batteries are 1500 mAh, I think most (if not all) of these are actually for the Sprint EVO 4G and won't even fit, even if I wanted to buy junk, which I don't.

Thanks, Robrecht

shortsxit

Reaction score
The multimedia dock can charge both types of batteries if you were thinking about picking one up.

Reaction score
Hi, all.

I bought 2 back-up batteries: a 2nd standard size battery and the bulky extended life battery.

Now I really need a couple of external battery chargers so I can keep the back-ups charged and ready to go. Anybody seen these yet?

I do have a Seidio Multi-Function Charger, but they don't yet have model specific part for the Thunderbolt.

I've also seen some of the super cheap things on eBay, oftentimes budled with 2 or 3 batteries for like $12. Obviously total junk. Since the batteries are 1500 mAh, I think most (if not all) of these are actually for the Sprint EVO 4G and won't even fit, even if I wanted to buy junk, which I don't.

Thanks, Robrecht

Yes, the Multimedia dock can charge your phone and a spare battery at the same time, and it even accommodates your extended battery as well as the regular size. It is not cheap at $60, but it could be worth it for your needs.

I would not advise buying anything battery-related for this phone from ebay that is not name brand. That would be a waste and might even mess up the phone.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi, all.

Thanks, Robrecht

Yes, the Multimedia dock can charge your phone and a spare battery at the same time, and it even accommodates your extended battery as well as the regular size. It is not cheap at $60, but it could be worth it for your needs.

I would not advise buying anything battery-related for this phone from ebay that is not name brand. That would be a waste and might even mess up the phone.

Wait the multimedia dock can charge extra batteries and the bolt at the same time?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Wait the multimedia dock can charge extra batteries and the bolt at the same time?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

It can charge both the phone (with a battery inserted) and 1 spare battery at the same time (2 slots total). I do not know which slot accommodates the extended battery, I just know that it is compatible with it, whether it only fits in the main or spare slot I do not know, it could be both or only one of them.

OP
R

robrecht

Reaction score

I hear ya. If the Verizon store had them in stock or available for order, I would have bought one with the 25% discount in a moment of weakness. I could understand the price if the so-called media dock had an HDMI port & cable, but $60 is ridiculous, even $45 (25% off). In the end, 'though, it really doesn't suit my needs because:

1) I want to charge 2 back-up batteries at the same time.

2) Dock and AC cord is a bit of a pain to travel with or set up in an all-day meeting, etc.

3) I also want external chargers to be able to be powered by USB ports on an external laptop battery/charger. This can be done in a briefcase or suitcase when I'm travelling.

OP
R

robrecht

Reaction score
Seidio is now shipping a Thunderbolt version of one of their larger 2-piece multi-chargers for $30:
http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/bd3-bcsi3htmec-bk.htm

If you already have one from an older phone, you can order just the ThunderBolt version of the charging plate with a microUSB cable for $13:
http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/bd2-bcscbu-htmec.htm

Seidio's shipping is on the high side, so consider ordering additional accessories at the same time. Note also they have a -15% promotion on their home page.

For the really cheap (and daring) you can now get the compact chargers without the ultraworthless batteries for $4.98 and free shipping from city_out or others for slightly more. I've used one of these before, but can't really vouch for their quality.
Desktop Dock Battery Charger For HTC my touch 4G/Merge - eBay (item 320670446018 end time Apr-11-11 19:55:52 PDT)

There's a US reseller of these who jacks up the price on the same charger, with one of the ultra-worthless batteries for $25 with free shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-Verizon-Thunderbolt-Battery-Charger-Pack-NEW-USA-/280633966879?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item415716811f

Comicsnut

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was taking a look at some battery chargers on the market, I like to carry two batteries with me for my Galaxy SIII.

But I was just looking for some feedback or recommendations for any of these that someone might have used.

It would be nice to be able to swap in my fully loaded battery and then charge the drained 1 without having to use the phone itself.

Thanks all and have a great week!

wcjeep

Reaction score
Samsung might still sell an S3 external battery charger on their site. I used to have Samsung external chargers for my Galaxy Nexus. It was slower to charge externally than inside the phone.

I turn off Mobile Data to extend the battery. I also use external Anker batteries when necessary.

biglilome

Reaction score
not sure if this will help but usually i carry a external portable charger. it really helps when you're not around any outlets and what not.

I love the universal power pack that i got from boxwave. if you want to save i think Amazon is the way to go! :)

Raikkonen

Reaction score
I am also looking for an external battery for my HTC One M8. I'm torn between the Anker Astro Slim3 and the Tylt Energi 5K (Tylt is having a 50% sale until July 9th so the price is comparable). Does anyone have any experience with either of them?