External Antenna

Crystal995

Reaction score
I use a Quad-Band Magnet Mount Antenna #304202 (has great gain 5.0 dBi) :) from Wilson Electronics.

Just having an antenna will not draw the single in. You either have to have it connected to your phone with an adapter or an amplifier. So how do you do it?

[email protected]

Reaction score
RE: Antenna only signal gain

Crystal995

Direct Connecting an antenna to the Motorola A855 is a hassle, and not for the faint of heart.

Wilson always recommends an amplifier with a "Universal connector". I think the dBi loss is too great to use the patch connector without an Amplifier.

I will attempt to do some tests, and/or ask Wilson if they have tested the Motorola A855 Droid yet.

I do not like lugging too much gear around so I always direct connect my cellular devices to the antenna with good results, 5 dBi gain is works pretty well out in the boonies.

P.S. I will update this when I get a chance.

Last edited:

Harrybub

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with being a ham radio freak :)

-.- -... .---- .-. -- .-

Dorks.... :p

KE6JDA

Glad to see so many "hams" with the Droid!!

_._ _.... -.-- . . :p

Dorks! lol

KD8IHC

Glad to be a Dork!!

K6FEE

Running DC to Daylight!! :icon_ banana:

If somebody figures out how to connect an external antenna, let me know.
I spend a lot of time in the boonies and need all the help I can get.

KF5DBR

If it does turn out to be an antenna jack, that's one more pro for this phone as my replacement for my failing Sony and AT&T...

Can't wait to see the outcome of this and the rooting effort.

e: and to join the crowd, KD8JQS. Funny there are so many hams interested in mobile phones, a lot of the greybeards around here seem to still be convinced 146.52 and the local repeater are all they need on the go.

KE6JDA

Indeed.

de N5NEQ

dancedroid

.-- .- ....- ..-. -..- .-

HB

G

gavron

There's nothing wrong with being a ham radio freak :)

-.- -... .---- .-. -- .-

KE6JDA

KE6JDA

Indeed.

de N5NEQ

dancedroid

.-- .- ....- ..-. -..- .-

HB

WA4FXA? It has been so long... and I did 13WPM... I don't think I could do 5 now.

(That's 20cps, 160bps, or less than 1/8 of 1Kbps...)

E
N5NEQ formerly KB5GYP

[email protected]

Reaction score
Maybe this is it: FME Antenna Adapter Cable for the Motorola A855
Our internal part number for this item is FMEA-MOT-A855-A85. **We will always send you the direct connection adapter for your Motorola A855 unless there is no antenna port,. Notice that you may have to disassemble your Motorola A855 and drill a hole to access the antenna port. In all cases where the antenna port is under the battery, under the housing, or otherwise not easily accessible, we will also include a velcro adapter at no extra charge, so that you may later decide which of the two adapters to use. By purchasing this product you agree to our Warranty and Terms and Conditions. Please visit these pages for details.

link >> bestcelldist.com/motorola_a855_fme_antenna_adapter.html

sm1nts2escape

Reaction score
So crystal955 you just use the adapter and a antenna? No amp?did you just drill a hole in the back case of the phone or take the cover off? Is it still working?

Crystal995

Reaction score
So crystal955 you just use the adapter and a antenna? No amp?did you just drill a hole in the back case of the phone or take the cover off? Is it still working?

Well I ended up using the subjected Signal boost from Wilson I found out the Droid has a hard time switching back to the internal antenna and I was afraid it would do more harm than good.

Here is my review I did on the Wilson Electronics 801247 SIGNALBOOST DT .
First off we live on top of a mountain and in our small town 4 miles below we have one cell tower which is not even my carrier's cell tower I had to extend my range to find a Verizon tower and with the help of this site http://map.sbasite.com/ I was able to pin point the exact area of were a Verizon tower was then I used a another app from my Droid phone to get the general area where I needed to point my antenna. Another thing is sense we live so far up we are above the towers so I have to place the outside antenna low instead of up high.
When I had a regular cell phone you could get maybe two bars but it would be in out. Once I got my Droid smart phone it was even more iffy sometimes no service at all.
I ordered the Wilson Electronics 801247 SIGNALBOOST DT
My first impression was there is no way this thing is going to help. The included outside antenna felt just like an empty plastic box it was nothing like most of Wilson's other antennas. Wilson has done away with the attached pop up inside antenna it is now a separated antenna that has to be placed 24 inches from the amplifier.
I hooked everything up as indicated in the manual very simple to figure out. The hardest thing is finding a place to put the outside antenna box with guessing where the nearest cell towers is and meeting Wilson distance requirements and trust me this will be your biggest hurdle.
Once all that is figure out and everything is power up it takes the Amplifier and your phone about 5 mins to adjust to the incoming single.
I went from bouncing one to two bars to solid 3G on my smart phone no bouncing back in forth just a steady 3G. On my PC Card it went straight to full single for Boardband.
Wilson is a solid company and has been making antennas for a long time and they have great tech support plus they even back up your purchase with a no questions ask 30 day returns. So in all Wilson knows there stuff and stands behind it. Another note the kit comes with 1-30ft cable and 1-20ft cable all white color cable and unless your house is white it will stick out so what I did was used some Krylon Fusion paint for Plastic and painted my cable brown sense my house is brown.

zcar.300

Reaction score
Maybe this is it: FME Antenna Adapter Cable for the Motorola A855
Our internal part number for this item is FMEA-MOT-A855-A85. **We will always send you the direct connection adapter for your Motorola A855 unless there is no antenna port,. Notice that you may have to disassemble your Motorola A855 and drill a hole to access the antenna port. In all cases where the antenna port is under the battery, under the housing, or otherwise not easily accessible, we will also include a velcro adapter at no extra charge, so that you may later decide which of the two adapters to use. By purchasing this product you agree to our Warranty and Terms and Conditions. Please visit these pages for details.

link >> bestcelldist.com/motorola_a855_fme_antenna_adapter.html

Is anyone still selling an adaptor cable for the Droid? I see the links in this post don't work any more.

andreah1

Reaction score
Has anyone here attempted to attach an external antenna to your S4? I've done a little research online and found this: External Antenna Kit - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate, Vibrant, Fascinate, Mesmerize, Continuum . I see there is a port inside the back cover. For a little backround, at home I use a mobile broadband usb for internet on my desktop (it's either that or dial up, boondock territory). It works great, I have an external antenna hooked up to it. BUT, when it gets towards the end of my monthly data allotment I like to tether my phone and use it's data so I don't run over. BUT, the S4 doesn't have very good reception at my house, good enough for calling, texting and internet if I am in the right area in the house.
So, kinda excited to see I probably could use my external antenna and just buy the right connector for it to connect to my s4.....has anyone tried it?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Most major computer sites have cell phone extenders. You basically do the same for the cell phone that you are doing for the modem (it's a wireless solution)., Some cell providers carry them though they are hard to find on the WEB sites.

You mount an antenna on the roof or a tree and run a wire to a window mounted uinit, (that's how the ones I've seen work) and it acts as a repeater.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Most major computer sites have cell phone extenders. You basically do the same for the cell phone that you are doing for the modem (it's a wireless solution)., Some cell providers carry them though they are hard to find on the WEB sites.

You mount an antenna on the roof or a tree and run a wire to a window mounted uinit, (that's how the ones I've seen work) and it acts as a repeater.

Yeah... A Yagi Antenna :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk