External Antenna Adapter

bspill

Reaction score
Apparently, the Droid does have an external antenna jack (according to Viperboy). Now - where to get an adapter for the jack? If anyone has found one, please let me know.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
So, where exactly is this external antenna port? I see nothing on my phone that resembles anything like an antenna port... Unless you can plug it into the USB somehow?

I R Confused.

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So, where exactly is this external antenna port? I see nothing on my phone that resembles anything like an antenna port... Unless you can plug it into the USB somehow?

I R Confused.

circled in red
antenna.jpg

OP
B

bspill

Reaction score
Pandroid - The link refers to a velcro attachment, not a direct connect to the jack. The jack is located under the battery cover, just beside the battery. There should be an adapter available that plugs into that jack and connects to an external antenna via an FME connector.

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Pandroid - The link refers to a velcro attachment, not a direct connect to the jack. The jack is located under the battery cover, just beside the battery. There should be an adapter available that plugs into that jack and connects to an external antenna via an FME connector.

there is an optional upgrade for $14.95 to the antenna i linked to. the upgrade replaces the velcro attachment with a male FME connector for the RF port. click on the tiny image on the left of the page to see what im talking about.

this is the adapter i think they are referring to
Cell Phone Antenna Adapters/ Connectors Wilson Electronics/ Cellular/ Wire

but as i said, any antenna with a male FME connector should work just fine. but dont quote me on the male FME connector, its possible it could be something else.

tdawg5480

Reaction score
Not to be rude but I once was in phone sales and external antennas and such do almost nothing for signal. if your in your car and get 0 bars an antenna is the same as holding your phone out the window if you can get 1 bar with the antenna you can get it with the phone held outside.
Not that its feasible. HOWEVER an amplified antenna could get you slightly better reception but not much. I speak from personal experience and thought Id chime in our mileages may vary just a waste IMHO id rather save the money and buy another droid hehe

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
have you tried dialing *228 and rerouting to find the nearest cell tower?

It's a free fix and it worked for me. I got better signal after I did this.

AdamTr

Reaction score

Can you explain exactly what this does, and why would one do it?

cuskit

Reaction score

Easy. Just dial *228 on your phone (verizon service only) and follow the prompt for option #2. It will take only a moment or two, then your phone will restart automatically. Simple! It's a good idea actually to do this at monthly intervals, or anytime you have trouble connecting to a cell tower.

mike

Edit:
Oop! Reread your question - not the answer you were looking for. Not enough sleep... ;)

I'll have to let another give the tech reason on how it works, but I do know it does the job. Why do it? Any time you are having difficulty connecting to a tower, or getting lost calls. Which is rare for most VZW customers...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

It updates your Tower list...You do it to make sure you have the latest tower information....

sm1nts2escape

Reaction score
I would really like to find a way to use a external antenna.Tryed the 228 but I get us cellular your service is not allowed.Updates please.Thanks

orangepeel

Reaction score
Not to be rude but I once was in phone sales and external antennas and such do almost nothing for signal. if your in your car and get 0 bars an antenna is the same as holding your phone out the window if you can get 1 bar with the antenna you can get it with the phone held outside.
Not that its feasible. HOWEVER an amplified antenna could get you slightly better reception but not much. I speak from personal experience and thought Id chime in our mileages may vary just a waste IMHO id rather save the money and buy another droid hehe

I agree with just the antenna not being much help,but my cryfe amp with a small antenna that I bought from Maximum Signal keeps me at full bars,and will drop to 3 if I'm going down a very steep hill.The guy stands behind his stuff,so if you don't like it send it back within the time frame. I used it on my old phone,and my Sprint Data card....and plan on using it with my Droid when I get it.

Here is my set-up for my truck:

https://www.maximumsignal.net/store/product.php?productid=16200&cat=1&page=1

Whitefish

Reaction score
How on Earth are you supposed to connect a cord to the plug which is inside the phone and requires that the back is off?