Extended vs. Another battery

born2golf

Reaction score
I have a spare standard battery and battery only wall charger. It's a sweet setup, I hadn't realized how nice it was to never have to be plugged in. I don't regret it. In fact, I actually have three standard batteries now (Had one spare for my D1, and picked up another when I got the D2.)

I do the same. I bought a spare stock battery on amazon for $6 and the charging brick for $4. the battery is small enough to carry around on days I know I'll need extra battery. Alternatively, I bought the seidio 2800 battery too, which I use on days I know I'll be nowhere near a cradle and anticipate heavy usage. That battery is obvious much bigger and doesn't fit in cradles or holsters, but I actually like the heft it gives the phone and don't mind it at all. And it lasts forever.

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
i have the ex batt running squids ROM and it will last all day been off the chager since 9am and its 1215am right now and im at 40% love it

K20turbo

Reaction score
i have the ex batt running squids ROM and it will last all day been off the chager since 9am and its 1215am right now and im at 40% love it
I am a heavy user and an extended battery is not an option to me due to the fact that the phones form factor is very important to me. I don't want a bump to be sticking out the back like it has herpes. My only option would be the high capacity battery, but do you know if this is heavier than the original battery? It has higher ratings so I am automatically assuming it has a heavier belly.
Also, rooting and running different roms for me is unacceptable at the moment becuase those roms are inefficient as far as the phone functioning from what I've read. I need all the features on the phone, even the blurr. I don't want to underclock the phone and/or freeze some features just to save battery life. How much battery life were you exactly able to save from this as I could use these off work, but it would be time consuming to enable/renable the features.

Reaction score
I am a heavy user and an extended battery is not an option to me due to the fact that the phones form factor is very important to me. I don't want a bump to be sticking out the back like it has herpes. My only option would be the high capacity battery, but do you know if this is heavier than the original battery? It has higher ratings so I am automatically assuming it has a heavier belly.
Also, rooting and running different roms for me is unacceptable at the moment becuase those roms are inefficient as far as the phone functioning from what I've read. I need all the features on the phone, even the blurr. I don't want to underclock the phone and/or freeze some features just to save battery life. How much battery life were you exactly able to save from this as I could use these off work, but it would be time consuming to enable/renable the features.

Read more about squidlys full blur rom.

Also thanks for the lawl@ the herpes comment.

"Bootloader begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern Time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug. Bootloader fights back."

Taegost

Reaction score
I have a spare standard battery and battery only wall charger. It's a sweet setup, I hadn't realized how nice it was to never have to be plugged in. I don't regret it. In fact, I actually have three standard batteries now (Had one spare for my D1, and picked up another when I got the D2.)

I do the same. I bought a spare stock battery on amazon for $6 and the charging brick for $4. the battery is small enough to carry around on days I know I'll need extra battery. Alternatively, I bought the seidio 2800 battery too, which I use on days I know I'll be nowhere near a cradle and anticipate heavy usage. That battery is obvious much bigger and doesn't fit in cradles or holsters, but I actually like the heft it gives the phone and don't mind it at all. And it lasts forever.

I have the Seidio 2800mah battery too, from my D1... On my old Droid, it worked great, 2-3 days without having to think about a charge... On my D2, I'm lucky to get a full day out of it :(

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
For those worried about the size of the extended battery on the D2, the one from verizon is such a small difference in size, if you didnt look at it and just held the phone, you would never notice it. It seriously adds only 1mm, or about the thickness of a dime to your phone, there is no "hump" on the back. And yeah if you use a case, just leave the batt door off, and its the same thickness as the stock batt w/door. Having an extra battery is nice, having an extra capacity and never having to take the back door off is nicer still. If you were swapping batteries on the daily, i'd imagine eventually you would wear something out back there, either the tabs on the door, or worse, the internals that grab the tabs.

K20turbo

Reaction score

Read more about squidlys full blur rom.

Also thanks for the lawl@ the herpes comment.

"Bootloader begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern Time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug. Bootloader fights back."
I have been on this site for a total of 3 days now (on and off). I just decided to register yesterday. I have been reading about roots and difference roms. The major concern to me is working on a fix on features that are missing during the creation of these custom roms. I noticed several issues with problems functioning the phone which makes me believe the roms are not 100% reliable. Until I know forsure there is a 100% functioning rom root whatever I honestly don't feel the need for it. I am very capable of rooting and flashing the rom as I have done many experiments with my gadgets and am an advanced user of technology however the battery life improvement isnt infact proven, and the 3g hotspot doesn appeal to me very much due to the fact that I am never using the laptop on the go. There are other slight advantages for me to want to use root and room however at this point it does not interest me enough to pursue it. More power to you though if you have the root done as well as the rom you desire.

For those worried about the size of the extended battery on the D2, the one from verizon is such a small difference in size, if you didnt look at it and just held the phone, you would never notice it. It seriously adds only 1mm, or about the thickness of a dime to your phone, there is no "hump" on the back. And yeah if you use a case, just leave the batt door off, and its the same thickness as the stock batt w/door. Having an extra battery is nice, having an extra capacity and never having to take the back door off is nicer still. If you were swapping batteries on the daily, i'd imagine eventually you would wear something out back there, either the tabs on the door, or worse, the internals that grab the tabs.
I totally understand what your trying to say. Even though the hump is minor it's still there and any user will notice it until they get used to it. I on the other hand already feel as if the phone is bulky enough(thanks to the keyboard). I dont want to add more weight and/or bulk to the phone. I have already have the seidio innocase and loved the case for a week but felt that having a bare naked phone in my pocket felt much nicer. The case is nice, the slightly added bulk isnt. Don't get me wrong, the case is a wonderful case other than its wiggly movement on the back(due to it being designed for the thicker regular d2). and the added bulk/weight.
I also use the car mount and soon about to purchase the multimedia dock. Believe it or not, these accessories costed me more in long run than the actual phone itself.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You're right, its not proven, but I can tell on my phone the battery life has improved by romming, and I love squids notification bar and the option to add or remove all the pieces of blur. Also my major benefit of rooting is lcd density, im running it @ 190 now and the resolution is amazing, its kinda like setting your desktop resolution all the way up, you get more viewing space in everything you do (except the apps that donts support it). I also love to oc just to show off my quad score (2974 is the record for me on squids last blur rom), and all the extra quirks you can get by tweaking your ui and all the modifications you can do through root tools.

OP
thebird36

thebird36

Reaction score
well i went on ebay and purchased 2 new batteries and a charger their gonna suck because idt they were oem but irdc cause it cost me $10 when i go to caring more i'll actually get the good ones. I couldnt find oem ones so i just went with w/e i could find lol

K20turbo

Reaction score
You're right, its not proven, but I can tell on my phone the battery life has improved by romming, and I love squids notification bar and the option to add or remove all the pieces of blur. Also my major benefit of rooting is lcd density, im running it @ 190 now and the resolution is amazing, its kinda like setting your desktop resolution all the way up, you get more viewing space in everything you do (except the apps that donts support it). I also love to oc just to show off my quad score (2974 is the record for me on squids last blur rom), and all the extra quirks you can get by tweaking your ui and all the modifications you can do through root tools.

I didn't know those features maybe I need to research a tad bit more on the Roms. I always felt that my LCD even at lowest settings can be a bit too bright at times

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

michellescruisin

Reaction score
the extended battery comes with an extended cover for it, or if you use a case you can just leave off the battery cover and put the case on. thats what Im doing, been doin it like this for 3 months now and not one problem. the extended battery is amazing, IMO
Anyone have a link for the extended battery and cover I am looking but no luck Also my wife and Iwere out today and she had a full charge on her D2 and we got seperated at the mall and she called me 1 time and a 2 minute conversation and found eachother and she said she hates her phone cause it was almost dead after that one call.Maybe take it back to Verizion and ask if the battery can be swapped out for a new one to see what happenes. It is only 2 weeks old. Also how do you get rid of the advanced task killer if everyone says it is not worth it? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reaction score
That 2min call shoudlnt have touched the battery, somethings wrong.

And the Android OS kills tasks as it sees fit, therefore a downloaded task killer is wasting battery life.

Reaction score

I didn't know those features maybe I need to research a tad bit more on the Roms. I always felt that my LCD even at lowest settings can be a bit too bright at times

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

@ k20turbo... lcd density is a size setting, the lower the number the smaller the icons text and larger the viewing space, its not a measure of brightness, sorry to confuse you.