Extended Battery

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
How is this battery working?

Heavy use, GPS, bluetooth and so.

Curious, because I am looking for an extended battery.

Thank you

1:)

Currently running my exact signature setup... -50uv 1ghz kernel as I have no need for Overclock right now, Juice Defender default setup at night and heavy use during day with GPS always on and Nexus live wallpaper set I get around 32-34 hours between charges...maybe more at times....I calibrate the battery stats with the app Battery Calibration every couple days or so since I flash things constantly....

Hope that gives you a good idea....its literally a night and day difference in battery life...I love it

Mcbrocker

Reaction score
Thanks! Exactly what I needed to know.
Just ordered the battery from Amazon.

I just got my 3500 extended battery today so far its awesome. Fits better in my hand.

ED01 EVIL FASCINATION V 3.5.1
OTB-RELOADED v1.2 oc 1.3 ghz

Rsswga

Reaction score
finally ordered my Samsung ext. battery off eBay..39.95..
first time i haven't had to charge my battery all day... 16 hours medium to heavy use..games mostly, overclock 1200..display all way up..
love it

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

Rsswga

Reaction score
I haven't used my phone while it has been charging on this new ext. battery..I unplugged it yesterday around 5a.m...phone died at 10:15 last night ..that's dam whole lot better than standard battery

pinback

Reaction score
I recently just bought an extended battery for my D3. I factory reset my phone before I used it just to make sure I didn't have any apps that would drain my battery. I charged it fully, then used it until it was out of juice, then charged again.

This thing dies just as quick, if not quicker than the crap stock battery. Is this a normal thing? Does the life get better after breaking it in, or did I get a bad battery?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

cheryl44

Reaction score
I bought an extended battery from amazon and it lasts a long time

DanielT

Reaction score
I don't know why I have read "great reviews" about the D3's battery life, but in my experience so far (and this includes getting the phone replaced, AND the battery), the D3 battery life is abominable.
I am extremely disappointed and I find it downright despicable that a phone should lose half its power by making a few phone calls.

I'm seriously considering finding something that has much better life.
I'll be posting another thread with my experiences, asking for some advice, but so far, my response to you is that the D3 simply gets horrible battery life. Don't expect more than a few hours before you need to charge it. Long gone are the days of using your smartphone all the way until nighttime.
I used to be able to do that with my WinMo Samsung phones (i730, i760, Saga, Omnia), and those phones did everything I needed.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have no issues with the stock D3 battery. 13 hours with 2-3 hours of screen on time. Plenty for me and more than my D1 could muster.

Can you tell us what your top 4 apps or services are in the battery usage section?

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862

DanielT

Reaction score
Today I sent about 30 sms messages, spent about an hour on the phone, and did a few app installations. And this brought me from 100% to 40% in 5 hours.
I remind you, this is a replacement phone and new out of the box battery I obtained yesterday.
Apps? I use messaging, 2 Exchange accounts sync up every 15 minutes, and that's pretty much all I used today.

My normal usage habits are:
Get up in the morning, unplug - this around 7AM
Battery is at 100%

I probably spend about 2 hours of actual talk time on the phone, and lots of sms messages - like maybe 30 per day (my girlfriend is a txt junkie, what can I say).
I usually get and send around 20 emails
When I talk, about 1/2 the time is with my bluetooth, the other times the BT module is OFF.
Occasionally I'll be somewhere and need navigation for about 20 minutes, but that's maybe once a week at most, so it isn't in my daily routine.
Ordinarily, my BT, GPS, WIFI are all OFF. My screen is on minimal brightness. Animations are off.
The network is set to CDMA, and my sim card is actually removed from the phone.
Once in a while if I take the train to a client, I listen to music for about 1/2 hour. This is only every few days, definitely not a daily routine.
I will sometimes go into the web browser to look something up on wikipedia or such. Maximum about 20 minutes per day of actually browsing the web.
I don't have Facebook app, or anything else that would sit and occupy the CPU all the time.

On almost every day so far, my battery is down to about 15% by 5PM

If this is normal, then I'm ditching this for something maybe with an AMOLED screen.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its not normal.

You didn't answer my question however.

Just before you plug the phone in to charge, check the battery manager in settings. It will tell you what apps used the most battery.

For example, right now, mine is:

47% cell standby
34% phone idle
10% display
10% Android system

That's 9 hours in, with 53% left.

DanielT

Reaction score
Well, I just did a factory reset because I want to properly monitor and document every single thing so I have a very good set of evidence.
However, the biggest culprits by far have always been #1 Voice calls and #2 display. After that is usually Android OS. I even tried turning off voice call privacy mode.

Okay, so I reset to factory defaults about 30 minutes ago. Since then I have had it charging (connected to USB, Charge Only mode). I have sent and received about 5 texts, and made one phone call which lasted about 1 minute.
Currently the battery consumption says Display 40%, Android System 17%, com.motorola.service.main 10% the rest is all single digits.

DanielT

Reaction score
I intend to keep a notepad with me and log every phone call, email, text, etc. and for one day I will make sure I have a perfect audit trail of everything that occurs and how the battery status is at every hour.
I am really sick of being told to just live with shoddy, crappy product.
The guy in Verizon Wireless store yesterday had the audacity to tell me "well, you know how cars are rated for xx MPG, but you don't really get that..." wow, so to which I responded:
"With all due respect, sir, first of all, this is a cellphone, not an automobile. Secondly, those ratings DO state outright that the ratings are highway usage. In fact, most automobiles DO get that kind of mileage on highways. Thirdly, but perhaps most importantly, are you implying that if hypothetically automotive manufacturers are deceptive and liars, that it is then okay for you to be as well?"
He had absolutely nothing to say to that. I can only assume he realized at that point that I am much smarter than him.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One last question. Did you sign into your gmail right off the bat or did you bypass?