Extended battery

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So ive been getting about 10 to 12 hours with stock battery only problem is I need about 2 more hours sense I will be going on vacation and won't have access to elec for quite some time durring the day. I was wondering if there were any good extended batteries that didn't add any extra bulk. If so what is the best one?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

[FONT=&quot]Battery Life[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here's my tips (Individual items may not apply your phone):[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. Go to settings/wireless & networks/mobile networks/Enable always-on data. Uncheck always on data. Your phone will still receive email, text, & phone calls as before as well as internet usage but your battery will last a lot longer.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2. Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts (From the inbox; Settings/Accounts & Import/ Check mail using POP3). Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3. If you are using Live Wall Papers, stop![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4. Use wifi any time it is available. It uses a lot less power than 3G and it is much faster.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5. If there are widgets that automatically update (facebook, weather, etc.) change their update frequency in their settings menu. Set them to 30mins or 1 hour.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]6. Oh, almost forgot, get the extended battery from Verizon.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]7. Turn off the GPS unless you are actually using it. There are some background apps that can burn a lot of power via a live gps.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]8. The Power Control Widget is a good tool for easily turning on and off some of these features (gps, wifi, screen brightness, etc.).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]9. From the home screen do the following: menu/settings/About Phone/Battery Use. This graph will show the 10 biggest power users on the phone. It should always be Screen as the top user and the android os, android system, phone standby and phone idle should be the other top users. If there is an app listed you should determine if it’s an app you actually use a lot or do you have a rogue app that needs to be uninstalled.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]10. Get Screebl. It will turn your phone off anytime you are not actively using it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]11. If you have either a task killer or an anti-virus app installed, you should uninstall.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]12. Go to data>system>and delete batterystats.bin after you've charged your phone to 100%. This will help with battery meter accuracy.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]13. D2G - go in to settings, wireless and networks, mobile network and change the network type from global to CDMA only. The d2g is locked out from using the local GSM networks in the US. You don't need global radio turned on in the US just overseas. Go into Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Mode > and turn off the default setting of Global and turn on CDMA. This assumes you are in the US.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]14. If you have ad blocker, turn it off.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15. If you are using Launcher Pro, try switching to ADW for a while.[/FONT]

chitala383

Reaction score
The only thing is the 50 dollar price tag (if you go with the motorola), but i went to a verizon store and there was free 2nd or 3rd day delivery. Was sweet.

If you order it online use the coupon code BAT30. you get 30% off so it comes to $35 instead of $50. thats what I did. and im another person who definitely loves the extended battery and the little bit of added thickness.

draexo

Reaction score
I executed many of the suggestions here. I was still having battery issues. Someone suggested I update roaming and it actually made a difference.

OP
ObieNobie

ObieNobie

Reaction score
Gah! Forgot to use the coupon lol! I have ordered the vzw battery ty all for the replys.

rcc0la

Reaction score
Hmmm. I just got an extra stock ~1400mAh battery and keep it in my backpack, jacket pocket, ect. I make sure to switch them out fairly regularly so they will wear out at approx the same time. Between the two of them I get maybe 14 hours of heavy use, days of standby/ light usage. Also undervolting is an option. Unlike overclocking there isn't much danger in it. Get rid of as much motoblur crap as u can. Admittedly there are a few good tools that come as part of the pack, but the fact that verizon and motorola took a beautiful, open platform and bogged it down with bloatware that you can't get rid of without rooting your phone, and therefor voiding your warranty, pisses me off to no end. The d2g is a good phone, but the stock software and available ROMs leave much to be desired. Oh well, I'm hoping that continued sales due to the fact that its the best choice if you want a physical keyboard, will spur developer interest.@

biknut1

Reaction score
Battery life, what else?

Been reading the posts on here about battery life. Like the rest of you, my stock battery wasn't making it through the day. And that is with not a great amount of usage.

My daily usage consists of: using car charger on the way, phone at 100%. Talking with the wife on the way in to work about 15-40 minutes, Facebook and web browsing during 2 fifteen minutes breaks, talking to wife again for 40 minutes at lunch (we work different shifts), maybe getting a chance to spend 10 minutes playing on phone in the bathroom once/night. I was leaving work with maybe 20% left.

The phone is D2G, rooted, Fission 2.4.3, wifi/gps always turned off, bluetooth on when talking with wife then immediately turned off. Wifi is not available at my work (factory), and the phone (I think) spends a lot of time searching for 3G. Charging at work is not an option. I keep brightness set to lowest setting while inside, timeout of 1 minute. I tried a battery manager, a cpu manager, nothing helped. I would check my phone at work, and when I went for 2 hours between breaks with no usage, it would loose 10%.

Then I read a post on these forums "My Battery-Life Writeup." I decided to change all my settings as closely as I could to this article. I downloaded paid versions of SetCPU, and Battery Indicator Pro. I used the article's settings for SetCPU and BIP. BIP does not save battery, rather it is simply an indicator.

Since I have done that, I am now leaving work with 50%! Still stock battery, still same usage pattern. I listen to MP3's on the 45 minute drive home, use Wireless Tether for an hour or so when I get home, and I am going to bed with 20-30%!!

I am still debating an extended battery of some sort, just to make sure I can get through a long day without a car charger. But I think I can live with this phone now!

So I would recommend looking up that article, written by NiceGuysFinishLast. It sure made me start liking this phone, maybe it will help you do the same!

EOK1335

Reaction score
underlock to 720mhz&undervolt to 36vsel, now I'm losing 1% battery juice about every 3-4 min of web browsing & IM chatting.
in another word, my phone will last at least 5 hours for constantly using internet.

biknut1

Reaction score
underlock to 720mhz&undervolt to 36vsel, now I'm losing 1% battery juice about every 3-4 min of web browsing & IM chatting.
in another word, my phone will last at least 5 hours for constantly using internet.

OUCH- that ain't good! I didn't even underclock or change the voltage on mine because I wasn't sure how to do it. Before the changes I was loosing 10% every 2 hours of non-use.

I'm sure you are using a battery monitor program that tells you where your juice is going? Other than that I wouldn't know what to try- I'm still new at this too.

Good luck with it though, let us know if you make progress.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I was already getting near 3 to 4 hours of constant use, full stock with normal battery. Thats harsh are you sure???

The ext. batt plus optimizations and fission granted me roughly 6.5 hours of constant use, no undervolting, the only difference being i have setcpu underclock to 1000 at 81% and 800 at 61% (since the system only reports in 10% increments), phone at 300/600 with screen off. Nearly 50%+ more life without undervolting! I'll take the added stability.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

kptphalkon

Reaction score
On a side note i can play about 14 hours of music with the screen off, no skipping or lag in songs noticed, before hitting 10% left.

Edit: Im sure with aggressive powersave settings and undervolting, not to mention using airplane mode at work, would easily push my music playing in the 18+ range, and other usage into the 8 hour or more range, but whats the fun in less functionality? :dancedroid::dancedroid::dancedroid:

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

Mrs EB

Reaction score

[FONT=&quot]1. Go to settings/wireless & networks/mobile networks/Enable always-on data. Uncheck always on data. Your phone will still receive email, text, & phone calls as before as well as internet usage but your battery will last a lot longer.[/FONT]
I don't understand. If I can still receive email, texts and phone calls, what other data is there that warrants "always on data"? Is there any negative to unchecking "always on data"?

[FONT=&quot]4. Use wifi any time it is available. It uses a lot less power than 3G and it is much faster.[/FONT]
How do you make the change? Is wifi unlimited? Also I assume that means if I'm not in a wifi area, I won't get calls, emails and texts. When I do get to a wifi area or I change to 3G, will I receive all of those emails and texts that I wasn't able to get?

Will get one this week.

Also, when I'm not using D2G, I turn off the screen but clicking the button on top. Does that help at all?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I don't understand. If I can still receive email, texts and phone calls, what other data is there that warrants "always on data"? Is there any negative to unchecking "always on data"?

How do you make the change? Is wifi unlimited? Also I assume that means if I'm not in a wifi area, I won't get calls, emails and texts. When I do get to a wifi area or I change to 3G, will I receive all of those emails and texts that I wasn't able to get?

Will get one this week.

Also, when I'm not using D2G, I turn off the screen but clicking the button on top. Does that help at all?

No. 1 - as I understand it this simply means that data will be turned on automatically when it is needed as opposed to being "on" all the time.

No. 4 - From the home screen/menu/settings/wireless&networks/ turn on wifi and the select wifi settings to setup connection to your network (or any network you can connect to). Then turn on wifi (I have toggle on my home screen, Power Control widget, to turn on/off wifi, gps, etc.).

No. 6 - I use the Verizon extended battery for the Droid2/Droid2G on my Droid 1 and it is awesome.

good luck.:)

Mrs EB

Reaction score
No. 4 - From the home screen/menu/settings/wireless&networks/ turn on wifi and the select wifi settings to setup connection to your network (or any network you can connect to). Then turn on wifi (I have toggle on my home screen, Power Control widget, to turn on/off wifi, gps, etc.).
How do you create that toggle on your home screen to turn the wifi on/off? I like that idea as it makes turning it on/off so easy. Thanks. :)

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How do you create that toggle on your home screen to turn the wifi on/off? I like that idea as it makes turning it on/off so easy. Thanks. :)

I use the 4X1 sized toggle. So you long press on a part of one of the home screens that has a clear space that big and then select the appropriate option (add item/add widget not totally sure what it'll say on your phone).

mikehal38

Reaction score

Download widgetsoid in the market and you can have the toggles in your pull down notification menu. I love it and it clears space on your home screen.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App