Extended battery or cheap replacement battery

nka

Reaction score
When I saw the abysmal amount of battery time that I have been getting with my Droid (less than a day of use) I started looking for an extra battery on Ebay. I haven't found anything worthwhile thus far. Anyone have a link to a battery replacement of extended battery? I bought a car charger, but I think an extra battery is going to be essential.

Ted

Reaction score
Try fully charging (24 hours with the phone off). Then running it down to near empty and charging it again. I was amazed at how much better it was. Before, two hours playing with it it would be 80% or lower. Now, it is still close to 100%!!

OP
N

nka

Reaction score
memory conditioning good idea or bad?

Try fully charging (24 hours with the phone off). Then running it down to near empty and charging it again. I was amazed at how much better it was. Before, two hours playing with it it would be 80% or lower. Now, it is still close to 100%!!
I was under the impression that cell-phone batteries no longer require memory conditioning. What do you all think about this? Do we need to condition the Droid battery?

mcm180

Reaction score
Wait so I'm supposed to put the phone down for how long???? LOL

thatguychuck

Reaction score

I was under the impression that you could not turn the phone off. If it's plugged in, it's on.

Anyway, I think it still takes a few cycles to get things going, but that might be an old wives tale. I picked up a spare battery from verizon for like 40 bucks, and a wall charger for just the battery. This was the same setup I had on my storm and it works very well, no more worrying about it.

ksgreeley

Reaction score
let my phone drain and shut down

and charged overnight. Now today the battery life is so much better, full day of using and still plenty left to get through the night.

Zippster

Reaction score
Lithium ion batterys prefer not to be run dry and do not have a memory like ni cad that most are thinking of.

ksgreeley

Reaction score
Gotcha

Maybe mine is better now, just after a few days of use? Not sure why.

OP
N

nka

Reaction score

I was under the impression that you could not turn the phone off. If it's plugged in, it's on.

Anyway, I think it still takes a few cycles to get things going, but that might be an old wives tale. I picked up a spare battery from verizon for like 40 bucks, and a wall charger for just the battery. This was the same setup I had on my storm and it works very well, no more worrying about it.

$40 seems pretty steep to me for a battery. I usually get batteries on ebay and they seem to last just as long as the oem.

Kevin8se7en

Reaction score
It amazes me how poeple say every smartphone has bad battery life... compared to what? a regular phone.. well yeah, all regular phones do is make calls and text.

It's like saying a Corvette has bad gas mileage... compared to what? a Prius?... compare Oranges to Oranges, the Droid has average battery life for a smartphone.

That being said, your always suppose to drain your battery 100% on its 1st usage. So when you get the phone, kill the battery and then charge it up completely.. it will hold a charge longer, charge faster and have a longer life.

Sidewind

Reaction score
That being said, your always suppose to drain your battery 100% on its 1st usage. So when you get the phone, kill the battery and then charge it up completely.. it will hold a charge longer, charge faster and have a longer life.

So not True..your actually not suppose to drain Lion batteries.

Ive notice with the many Smartphones ive had that the batterie usage after a week or so actually increases

Fullenwider

Reaction score
I am not sure what to think. Mine came almost full charge. Ran down pretty quick. Charged overnight and ran it til it said turn off b/o low battery or else.
Still seems like pretty short life.
I think an extra battery & dedicated charger is a must, even with a car charger and extra wall charger handy.
There is just no way I am going to set it down and not touch it for 24 hours.
Appearently I am not the King of Droids domain!

premi

Reaction score
My battery was draining fast the first couple days. I went into settings and about phone. It shows all of your battery usage broken into percentages. I realized my display was using 80% of the battery life. I went into the display settings and the auto brightness was turned off. I turned it on and have had no issues since.

Ted

Reaction score
My battery was draining fast the first couple days. I went into settings and about phone. It shows all of your battery usage broken into percentages. I realized my display was using 80% of the battery life. I went into the display settings and the auto brightness was turned off. I turned it on and have had no issues since.

That's funny - two days ago, I noticed the same thing, did the same thing, and got the same results. I'd still like the life to be longer (generally not happy with "standard" batteries and tend towared "extended" versions), but this is much better!

eversonsc

Reaction score
I looked and looked and there aren't any non OEM batteries out there. I actually got an OEM battery from verizon for $39 with free overnight shipping. It's the best deal out there. Now if they could just come out with a charger to charge the battery so I don't have to charge them both in the phone.