Extended Battery issue

pizza3

Reaction score
I have recently bought 2 extended batteries. One is 3800 mah and the other 4200 mah. Despite numerous attempts neither will charge past 65% or so and duration is not that great. Have tried "Fast" charging and regular. Fast charging charges faster but not past 65%. Am in the process of "calibrating" it. Does N4 not recognize "extended" batteries? Or, does it just not measure it well?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
If the calibration does not change anything, you may have to do a factory reset in order for the phone to recognize the new battery properly.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
What method of calibration are you using?

OP
P

pizza3

Reaction score
What method of calibration are you using?
I ran a program called "Battery HD" I downloaded from somewhere. It purports to test music, video and Internet. It took 90 minutes to run. Everything came back normal. I am reluctant to do a factory reset even as a last resort.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm guessing these aren't Samsung OEM batteries? I'm wondering if the phone's software doesn't allow it to recognize extended batteries? Is that possible?

OP
P

pizza3

Reaction score
I'm guessing these aren't Samsung OEM batteries? I'm wondering if the phone's software doesn't allow it to recognize extended batteries? Is that possible?

I am beginning to suspect that.
I now own 4 different extended batteries for the N4 (Don't ask why). None of the first two batteries charged past 65 % no matter how long they were being charged and they acted like the stock, at best. So I thought I would order 2 more batteries and a stand alone battery charger ( Again, don't ask why) I am in the process of testing a "BaBo" 4500 mah battery that did appear to accept the fast charge. It has now run about 10 hours of light use and is down to 75%. This seems comparable to what I was getting with stock at 3220. Once this has run its course I will test it with the standalone charger to see if there is any difference. I will then run it down and test the other 3 batteries using the standalone charger. This may take several years but I will report back, I promise.
I sure would like to hear from somebody who really knows what they are talking about. I am not interested in monster sized batteries like the Zero Lemon. I am only interested in batteries that can fit into a case similar to the stock. Its big enough as it is.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Unfortunately there are lots of "compatible extended" batteries sold out there which are neither compatible nor extended. There are plenty of writeups about cheap Chinese imitations, re-labeling of lower mAh batteries as larger ones, etc. When you want to be sure of performance, you need to stick with name-brand manufacturers, bought from reputable retailers and shy away from the "bargain" batteries bought over the internet.

OP
P

pizza3

Reaction score
Unfortunately there are lots of "compatible extended" batteries sold out there which are neither compatible nor extended. There are plenty of writeups about cheap Chinese imitations, re-labeling of lower mAh batteries as larger ones, etc. When you want to be sure of performance, you need to stick with name-brand manufacturers, bought from reputable retailers and shy away from the "bargain" batteries bought over the internet.

You may well be ultimately correct. As of now I see no extended batteries that fit within the case by known manufacturers on Amazon. There are are 2 biggies, requiring their own larger back. These are the ZeroLemon (10000 mah) for $59.99 and the Hyperion (8000 mah) for $39.99. What keeps me going is that I did use a cheap extended battery on my N2 and my obsessive search for a bargain no matter how much it costs.
To update my previous posting. My "Babo" battery is at 33% remaining with a duration,so far, of 1 day 3 hours, 7 minutes, - all with light use.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You may well be ultimately correct. As of now I see no extended batteries that fit within the case by known manufacturers on Amazon. There are are 2 biggies, requiring their own larger back. These are the ZeroLemon (10000 mah) for $59.99 and the Hyperion (8000 mah) for $39.99. What keeps me going is that I did use a cheap extended battery on my N2 and my obsessive search for a bargain no matter how much it costs.
To update my previous posting. My "Babo" battery is at 33% remaining with a duration,so far, of 1 day 3 hours, 7 minutes, - all with light use.

Well, it stands to reason that size of the battery (all other things being equal), is directly proportional to the capacity. Only when there are significant advancements in the chemistry do we see smaller batteries with the same capacity or the same sized batteries with higher capacities, and those would be at a higher cost understandably.

OP
P

pizza3

Reaction score
I am beginning to suspect that the "Fast Charge" process ain't so great. I noticed that ZeroLemon specifically states that if you use the "Fast Charge" it will only charge up to a third of its 10,000 mah battery - roughly equivalent to the mah of the stock battery. Maybe the "Fast Charge" only works on batteries the size of the stock or maybe just on the stock battery itself. I am determined to turn off the "Fast Charge" and not use the "Fast Charge" adapter and see if I can get more juice out of my current extended batteries that still fit within the case.
I will report back just as soon as I feel like it.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I recall the days when you used to be able to wipe to battery stats in recovery if you had a custom recovery installed.

I know my experience with my Galaxy SIII and my ZeroLemon battery (which is being used still to this day) was awesome. I followed the charging instructions to a T and the battery is still performing, over two years later, flawlessly. I can't say your experience will be the same, but I have heard great things about ZeroLemon batteries in other phones.

Here the ZeroLemon page for the Note 4.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
^this^
We have quite a few members on our S3 forums that have had great success with ZeroLemon. Mugen Battery is another quality company that makes excellent extended batteries, but are a bit more expensive than ZL. Extremely well made product though and definitely one to consider.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
The part I love the most about the pricier extended batteries is the custom back for the phones they support.

Reactions: cr6
OP
P

pizza3

Reaction score
I am starting to get vibes that all batteries for the Note 4 are not the same. It seems that there may be different batteries for different carriers. The battery for the Verizon version I have is designated "N910V". Other batteries have different letters after the number. Some batteries offered do not list compatibility with all versions. Some even say don't order battery type if it is not listed on their site. I've never heard of that before but could that be the reason I am not able to get a charge that is even as good as the OEM which is rated at 3320 mah. I am expending much time and effort into this as I do not otherwise have a life. Remember folks, I am looking for an extended battery that fits within the case and is more than the stock 3220. I do believe it is possible and that it does exist.
There are a bunch of new batteries available in the 4500 mah range on Amazon and they go for about $30. or so. I am afraid to commit any more money on these risky ventures but I sure hope somebody does. None of these have any consumer reviews yet.