Extended Battery causing loss of 4G..Why?

mikeny

Reaction score
My wife's Rezound hasn't had 4G for weeks. She got another SIM card two times and it didn't make a difference. She's been on 3G. This afternoon her extended battery was low and she popped in the stock one. Lo and behold she got 4G and it stuck.

I have the same extended battery in my Rezound and this hasn't happened to me. We got them from Verizon Wireless.

Why would this happen?

Are the batteries under warranty? I wonder if they (Verizon) will help.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Is the Rezound back cover like the one with the TBOLT where the contacts are in the back cover?? have you tried putting your battery and cover on her to see if it still does it?

OP
M

mikeny

Reaction score
Is the Rezound back cover like the one with the TBOLT where the contacts are in the back cover?? have you tried putting your battery and cover on her to see if it still does it?
When she gets back, I'll try that out of curiosity. There are contacts but the battery contacts seem to be built into the phone itself. In other words you can power on the phone with the cover off but evidently you don't get any kind of service without the back because that's what happens when I removed mine and booted it up. Only after I placed the cover on did I get any kind..and it was 4G.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
The antenna are in the cover. Is it an OEM extended cover? Mine has great reception with the extended battery and cover but they are the actual HTC brand.

OP
M

mikeny

Reaction score
The antenna are in the cover. Is it an OEM extended cover? Mine has great reception with the extended battery and cover but they are the actual HTC brand.
It says HTC on the back. I tried both her back and her battery in mine and I do get 4G with it. She tried her combo again and it only gets 3G. Weird.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I would verify the contacts are clean on hers. Both the phone and the cover.... Doesn't take much to break contact on those things... I went through a bunch of covers on my TBOLT

OP
M

mikeny

Reaction score
I would verify the contacts are clean on hers. Both the phone and the cover.... Doesn't take much to break contact on those things... I went through a bunch of covers on my TBOLT
Her extended battery and cover on my phone get 4G.

My extended battery and my cover on her phone gets 4G.

Her extended battery and her cover on her phone gets only 3G as I said.

I could check the contacts.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Also check to make sure that LTE/CDMA is selected and not CDMA only. You can find that in "Settings"--->"Mobile Network"--->"Network Mode"

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Her extended battery and cover on my phone get 4G.

My extended battery and my cover on her phone gets 4G.

Her extended battery and her cover on her phone gets only 3G as I said.

I could check the contacts.

It sounds like her cover is not making good contact in her phone for some reason.... Maybe try to VERY carefully tweak the contacts so they make a better connection.

OP
M

mikeny

Reaction score
It sounds like her cover is not making good contact in her phone for some reason.... Maybe try to VERY carefully tweak the contacts so they make a better connection.

Maybe..she wants mine now ha.

.She gets 4g with her extended battery and MY cover..It's the cover!

Strange that my phone accepts her cover. I seem to be the 'universal recipient here' and her's is picky.

Uh oh, now she's getting the check SIM card glitch with her combo..Oy.. got to check it out..

OP
M

mikeny

Reaction score
Also check to make sure that LTE/CDMA is selected and not CDMA only. You can find that in "Settings"--->"Mobile Network"--->"Network Mode"

Sure, that's set right. Thanks.

OP
M

mikeny

Reaction score
She got her '3G' back. Then we swapped covers and we both have 4G. We'll see if it stays consistent.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Sure, that's set right. Thanks.

I mis-read the post where you said the her phone was getting 4g with your cover. What I said to check would not cause the problem based on what you wrote. My bad.

OP
M

mikeny

Reaction score
Update: By this afternoon the bad cover was evidently causing MY phone to get 3G. (not 4G)

We called Verizon and the agent vehemently denied any attribution to the cover as the source of the problem. Naturally, he made us go through a whole time wasting troubleshooting "song and dance". He asserted that the cover had nothing to with reception. He wound up calling HTC and came back surprisingly apologizing and he said we were right!

Verizon is apparently going to ship another battery/cover combo!

Last edited:

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Update: By this afternoon the bad cover was evidently causing MY phone to get 3G. (not 4G)

We called Verizon and the agent vehemently denied any attribution to the cover as the source of the problem. Naturally, he made us go through a whole time wasting troubleshooting "song and dance". He asserted that the cover had nothing to with reception. He wound up calling HTC and came back surprisingly apologizing and he said we were right!

Verizon is apparently going to ship another battery/cover combo!

I understand how the REPS at VZW can't know everything about every phone but they need to work on the system and train groups with various devices or have groups that deal with HTC groups that deal with Samsung and so on and so forth..... Calling and trying to trouble shoot an issue with a REP who has never touched the model you are referring to is next to impossible.... For him to be so certain that the cover had nothing to do with signal is not acceptable.. Again I fully understand not all reps can know about all phones but VZW could do a MUCH better job on directing calls to reps who are knowledgeable with that brand or model... Especially with the BIG selling phones like the Rezound.... That was a headlining phone for a while for them... From what I understand that when VZW started to carry the iPhone one of the big things VZW had to agree to was that they would set up a specific "department" for all things Apple related... That way when a customer called with an iPhone issue they spoke with someone who was properly trained in that line... Now whether that is accurate or not I am not sure but I think it is something more of the manufacturers should look into.... I am sure VZW has training for the phones to the employees but most of the people who work they do it as a job and don't take it serious enough to learn the products and educate themselves fully on all the devices....