Extended Battery=Awesome

garath

Reaction score
I've been travelling a lot the last 3 weeks and I found that signal strength had the biggest impact on battery life. I play with the phone often enough to call it "moderate" use. When I was on the 44th floor of a building in chicago with 3G going in and out and no signal in the elevators I was barely getting 12 hours before it was in the red. However, when I'm at home or my normal office where I have a constant signal (and access to consistent wi-fi) I go the full day (8am until 11pm) and the phone is usually around 50%. This is standard battery btw. I bought the extended (backordered, hopefully it will ship soon) just to take any concern about battery life on travels out of the equation.

wmscottmc

Reaction score
I've been travelling a lot the last 3 weeks and I found that signal strength had the biggest impact on battery life. I play with the phone often enough to call it "moderate" use. When I was on the 44th floor of a building in chicago with 3G going in and out and no signal in the elevators I was barely getting 12 hours before it was in the red. However, when I'm at home or my normal office where I have a constant signal (and access to consistent wi-fi) I go the full day (8am until 11pm) and the phone is usually around 50%. This is standard battery btw. I bought the extended (backordered, hopefully it will ship soon) just to take any concern about battery life on travels out of the equation.

I have found the same thing. During the work week I have terrible reception in my office, and my battery is usaually down to 30% by the time I get home, giving me 10-12 hours max.

On the weekends I never go below 50%, and my reception is very good.

Not sure if anything can be done other than a charger in my office, or an extended battery, but I think that having poor reception is a much bigger battery drain than all of the other things discussed on these threads (such as apps, gps, wifi, email polling, task managers.....etc).

garath

Reaction score
I have to wonder when this thing is shipping. I got my order in but got an email the next day saying it was backordered. I'm not hurting for it but I'd like it sooner rather than later :)

MrMorganUSC

Reaction score
Mine is sitting on my front porch right now.

My phone has been unplugged for about 7 hours. I have had about 20 minutes worth of phone calls and maybe 10 texts, thats it. GPS, wifi, bluetooth are off. My battery is sitting at 60%

When I go to my battery left app, click battery history, it says "running 100%, screen on 5.6%, phone on 3.3%"

Does this sound right?

kpiskin

Reaction score
I ordered mine on the 18th, but I guess it was too late. I still haven't received it and the Verizon rep I spoke with has no idea when I will get my battery. Sigh.

garath

Reaction score

My phone has been unplugged for about 7 hours. I have had about 20 minutes worth of phone calls and maybe 10 texts, thats it. GPS, wifi, bluetooth are off. My battery is sitting at 60%

When I go to my battery left app, click battery history, it says "running 100%, screen on 5.6%, phone on 3.3%"

Does this sound right?

The "running 100%" is an issue. There's a bug regarding GPS that doesn't allow the phone to sleep. There's a thread floating around that addresses that. Essentially toggling off the GPS after you use it will allow the phone to sleep normally.

MrMorganUSC

Reaction score

Does this sound right?

The "running 100%" is an issue. There's a bug regarding GPS that doesn't allow the phone to sleep. There's a thread floating around that addresses that. Essentially toggling off the GPS after you use it will allow the phone to sleep normally.
GPS is toggled off.....always is after use

Rishi P

Reaction score
Paid 34 bucks for mine in store because online is out of stock.they honored the bat30 code.i love it best investment ever made

what exactly is that code if you don't mind sharing....i was about to pick one up at the store for $50 but would'nt mind saving some bucks

Sasquatched

Reaction score
Just got back from a local Verizon store, they happened to have 2 of the extended batteries in stock. I picked one up and the manager honored the BAT30 code so it was only 37 bucks with tax, NICE!! I'm considering going back to grab the second one for when I travel, hmmmm. Time to go charge!

Oh ya, I have the carbon fiber look snap on case from verizon and it JUST fits with the extended battery and door on. I also just test fitted the clear snap on case and the high gloss silicone cover and they fit perfectly as well. So I would assume the majority of cases that were designed for the phone would fit with it, but i'm sure there are probably a couple that happen not to for some reason.

GThree

Reaction score
I don't have a battery problem at all. Which is kind of weird cuz everyone complains that their battery sucks mad D. I'm scared my phone is going to explode. I start work at 8am and I run pandora all day, youtube, text all day, google talk, and run flash at breaks and lunch, and I seriously have no issues at all until about 6pm. So, I stick my phone in my car charger if I'm not home. I don't get whats the huge deal about this battery ****. The only thing that rocks my batter is some gay chat app. Roastin is good fun. lolol I'm now running 2.2 and my batter lasts longer. It's amazing. Even though I don't have a battery issue, I'm getting the extended. :)

S

scrub175

Had a great day from the battery today... 40% left at bed time. Had gps and wifi on all day.

-Wifi running (100%) today was 16h 38m
-Actual wifi usage 6h so its fair to say wifi usage is back in line.
-13 minutes of calls
-2h 47m screen on
-4h 14m phone running
-surfed the web a little bit
-tapatalk all day
-twitter and fb widgets
-one nav search with directions

Unplugged at 6:00 am edt.

I think one thing that helped was over the weekend after a charging cycle I powered down the phone and let charge another hour. Did that saturday and sunday. I see a major turnaround.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Lightninrod

Reaction score
My extended VZW battery came this afternoon(btw, Fedex tried to deliver it at 1 PM but both my wife and I were away from home. When I got home at 2:30 PM, I noticed the tag/note on my front door saying they would deliver it the next day and would leave it without a sig. if I signed the Fedex note and left it on the door. I did that. He showed up at 4 PM that same day with my battery!) and I installed it and used it until the X shut off due to low voltage. Plugged it into the VZW charger and into the wall socket for an all night charge(with it turned off). This should calibrate the battery app after this 'one time' running it flat.

Looking forward to extended, daily usage of my X.

EDIT: Forgot to say I used the new battery cover(both of the covers are examples of industrial art IMO) and put my Bodyglove case on. Tight fir but it clamped together.

I don't notice the added weight.

Last edited:

Aohus

Reaction score
how much heavier is the extended battery? noticeably heavier? its the only thing from preventing me from getting one.

using stock battery, i was able to get over a day

- 1 hour 12 min of continuous talk time
- stock battery
- display set to auto brightness
- 3G on all day, GPS on most of the day, bluetooth off
- running leaked froyo 2.2
- mild browsing throughout the day, with some fits of heavy flash/multimedia
- running NO task killers. task management apps are fine though (like autokiller). if you're running task killer, you're doing it wrong.

SJMHP.jpg

Last edited:

cwiams

Reaction score
Just got back from a local Verizon store, they happened to have 2 of the extended batteries in stock. I picked one up and the manager honored the BAT30 code so it was only 37 bucks with tax, NICE!! I'm considering going back to grab the second one for when I travel, hmmmm. Time to go charge!

How did you get them to honor it? I called my local store and they didnt think they could honor it.

Thanks!