1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Ext3

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by HonKudasai, Mar 31, 2011.

1. HonKudasai

HonKudasai New Member

I'm currently running v4.2 on my OG Droid and would like to get the rom to recognize the ext3 partition on my sdcard. I'm currently running Chevy's new uLV kernel which is supposed to have the ext3 driver in it, but I'm at a loss on how to install it, and I didn't get anything particularly helpful through a Google or forum search. I'm hoping someone on the forum may have some pointers on what to do, or if it'd be something I need to ask on Chevy's end.

Anywho, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! dancedroid
  2. jonny6pak

jonny6pak New Member

I can try to help you. Are you trying to access the partition in Windows, or on the devise itself? And just to be clear, you installed the new kernel via recovery already, or you need help installing the new kernel?
  3. Rocinante

Rocinante New Member

Have you partitioned the SDcard in Rom Manager yet? It will delete all the stuff on the card, but you can back it up on your computer first. I use the largest sizes for the partitions in the options.
  4. blkhwk

blkhwk New Member

I see that the OP abandoned but I've been searching forums last night and today looking for help. I have an OG Droid running CM7.0.3 I have partitioned the SD using minitool about 14gb in FAT32 and 1gb in ext3. I'm trying to use link2sd but i keeps saying device not found but using supermanager i've added the link2sd folder in the sdext2 and sdext3 folder (i have both)...i've also tried to runn the insmod command for jbd.ko and ext3.ko and neither worked.
  5. wonderrx2

wonderrx2 New Member

I'll see if I can bring this thread to life as I am having more or less the same issue.

From my other posting in a new thread:

Hello all, long time lurker here.

I am trying to bring new life to my old OG Motorola Droid for my Son to use.

Basically we run out of the usable space every 3 to 6 months even with very app that can be moved to the SD moved to the SD.

I came across info about how app2sd or S2E S2E (simple2ext) | Krikun.Ru or link2SD could help me virtually move my apps to an ext3 partition on my SD card thus giving us more space.

I am running the latest CyanogenMod 7 nightly on OG Moto Droid
    I am running Peter Alfonso's LV_V0.1 kernel (says it has ext3 support)
    I have formatted my SD card to have a primary Fat32 partition (15gb) and a Ext3 primary partition (1gb) that is listed second, did that in easus paritioner and did apply the partitions, I can see a second partition in Win7 Computer Management.
    I have installe S2E, App2SD and Link2SD
    I see the ext3.ko in the system/lib on the device

I can get the apps to open but they won't see the ext3 partition and I am out of my league on trying to figure out how to make them see it. I have spent about 10 hours testing things, trying different kernels, formatting and reformatting the card without any real success.

HELP WANTED! Ha!

Thanks in advance for your help and reading,
    wonderrx
  6. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs New Member

A froyo/gingerbread chevy kernel doesnt seem to support ext 2,3,4 drivers with froyo roms even though it has the modules built in. I've already tested it and using Link2SD with a cehvy kernel gave me an error. And when i switched to an RZ or Slayher kernel which is JUST for froyo, the ext drivers seem to be supported and Link2SD suceeded on making the mounting script.
  7. wonderrx2

wonderrx2 New Member

Interesting, since I am running a gingerbread rom any ideas of a kernel that would work with that and allow for ext3 support?

Does the user have to enter any commands to enable ext3 or is that all done pretty much automatically or by the apps I have mentioned?
  8. rkpeterson

rkpeterson New Member

I have been running PE6.5 with Prime's deprimed kernel and DarkTremors A2SD successfully for months. I use Prime's "preLink2sd script" which mounts the ext3/4 partition.
    I also have the 05mountsd script in init.d which can be found here 05mountsd (1.3 KB) - cyanogenmod - CyanogenMod Android ROM - Google Project Hosting. I have been able to make the combination of these scripts and Prime's deprimed kernel work on everything except Pete's GPA/Bugless as Pete does not use init.d
  9. wonderrx2

wonderrx2 New Member

Awesome, thanks for the tip/direction.

While I have been rooted/rom'ed for several years I haven't ever run/called any outside scripts.

I have run PE rom versions in the past, although I am CM7 currently.

How do you call/launch Prime's "preLink2sd script"?

I have never messed with init.d and don't fully understand it, but would like to learn more. What do you need to do with that the code/script and again how to call/launch it?

Thanks a TON for giving me some tips on the road to getting this running! Any further direction and help would be appreciated!
  10. rkpeterson

rkpeterson New Member

Prime script i.s a zip file that you flash just like you flash a kernel the script can be found in the kernels forum

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  11. rkpeterson

rkpeterson New Member

If you can wait until 2 morrow I will post a step by step what I did to get it working.

12. rkpeterson

rkpeterson New Member

13. wonderrx2

wonderrx2 New Member

Awesome thanks so much for your help!

Questions:
    1. Do you think the script and kernel even if I stick with the CM7 install I have?
    2. If you don't think so where can I get PE6.5 (I believe is last version) none of the links I found on here still worked

Thanks again, hopefully time will allow me to try it tonight.
  14. rkpeterson

rkpeterson New Member

I currently have Cyanogen 7.2 and Prime's kernel on my phone. I am using DTa2sd instead of Link2sd and did not need the script. Cyan and Prime's kernel have builtin support for ext partitions.

As far as PE6.5 the server is down, I am sure it will be up soon. DM me with your e-mail and I will try to send it to you.
  15. wonderrx2

wonderrx2 New Member

Awesome, I will try to make it work with CM7 first before I ask you for any links. I am going to reflash that and then flash the deprimed kernel.

Do you have a best link to get DTa2sd?
  16. rkpeterson

rkpeterson New Member

17. wonderrx2

wonderrx2 New Member

Thanks again for all of your help. I finally got it working.

The droid runs OK, at least I got all of the games and apps on it.

For whatever reason the wifi seems to die after about 10 minutes and I have to turn it on and back off, by my son isn't really doing much interactive stuff with the internet.

Using gparted created ext3 1gb partition

Flashed CM7's last nightly, flashed gapps
    Flashed the deprimed kernel
    Flashed dta2sd zip
    Once rebooted opened terminal
    typed su then typed
    a2sd cachesd (move dalvik to sd card)

Thanks again for your help, lost my religion over this but glad I got it working.
  18. rkpeterson

rkpeterson New Member

I am glad you got it working.
    I have not had any wifi issues using this combo. Another example of how these phones are all a little different.

Search tags for this page
android 4.2:permissions ext3
android 4.2.2 mount ext3
android ext3 support galaxy s4
android phone won't recognize ext 3 partition
android razr partition sd card ext3
droid razr partition sd card ext3 or ext4
droid x ext3 partition
ext3 on andriod jelly bean
ext3 sd card android
hexllybean ext3