Explanation regarding ROMS?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by xxnonamexx, Mar 25, 2010.

1. xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello-

I have noticed alot of different ROMS. They seem very interesting. I would like to know more about them:
    1. How to decide which one to install?
    2. Does it work only for a rooted phone?
    3. Will it ruin my phone?
    4. Can I revert back to factory default?

Thanks

2. calicocal

calicocal Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1) Just look at the forums and read about the different features of each. Find the one that best suits you and go with it. Once you get rooted it is fairly easy to switch between them so try a few and see which you like best.

2) yes

3) You are modifying system files so there is a chance that you could mess up your phone. As long as you follow the directions though that chance is very small. Also there are ways to reflash your phone even if it doesn't boot.

4) Yes, there is more information on this in the hacking help section.

3. xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting but I am afraid of bricking it and then unable to get it back to normal.

4. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if you root and have recovery installed you wont brick your phone. There were so many times in the early days of my rooting experimentation I would get stuck with a horrible setup, or in a constant boot loop. You just pull the battery, go into recovery mode, and restore your phone...

My advice, read a lot about it here, check out some youtube videos, and take some notes for yourself. You'll become familiar with how it all works. You will encounter some issues, but it's all good. Help is here... don't be afraid.

5. krazyskott

krazyskott Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have yet to hear of someone truly bricking there phone. If you can get to the Motorola start screen it can be fixed. I personally really recomend following a user guide written by Matth3w who is a user on this forum. There is easier ways to root then his way but you actually learn what your doing in the process. Good luck.
    Oh and there's about 50,000 users on this site so that means tons of help and proof of how hard it is to brick your phone.

The only thing you should be afraid of is becoming a Droidaholic

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  6. xfireguru

xfireguru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look at this thread by Matth3w. I used to be a computer guy, but never messed around with phones. I found his write-up to be extremely well detailed and easy to follow.

And as was mentioned before, there is more than enough help on this site available if you need it.

Search tags for this page
all rom explanation

explanation about rom

rom easy explanation