Explanation of FRF57 vs FRF83

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Ok, i wanted to post this because i've gotten many questions about it lately.

Since the drop of froyo source, there are a lot of ROMs flying around with build ids on them like FRF57 and FRF83. I'm going to clear up what these ids mean and how they are significant.

Basically, a build id is just that, it's an identifier that lets a developer know that for any given piece of software in the field, what build of the code it is. This helps them identify problems.

Although I have not found any definitive proof of how the first three letters of the build ids are generated, they tend to relate to what version of android is being ran as well as it's stability. I would guess something along the lines of:

ABCXX

Where

A = Android codename (C = cupcake, D = donut, E = eclair, F = froyo, etc)
B = Stability (R = release-candidate, S = stable)?
C = ?? no idea on this one, possibly just a letter increment
XX = build number

So for instance, FRF57 is the 57th build of a release candidate for froyo.

So back to the difference of FRF57 and FRF83. FRF57 is the build id for the latest leak from motorola. An FRF83 leak for the Droid DOES NOT EXIST. FRF83 is the build id for the nexus one release.

Now, the numeric build number is DEVICE SPECIFIC. Just because the nexus build is FRF83 and the motorola build is FRF57 DOES NOT mean that the nexus build is necessarily more stable or more advanced. All it means is that nexus has built their source 83 times, whereas motorola has built theirs 57 times.

Also, it is important to know that for source builds, the source itself is IN NO WAY RELATED TO THESE BUILD IDS. The only exception is for some tagged sources, which reference device-specific source, but that does not currently exist for froyo.

So what does this all mean?

Many source ROMs will be released in the following weeks that will label themselves FRF57. This means that they use the PROPRIETARY files from the FRF57 leak. The source is still the latest source.

Some ROMs will label themselves FRF83. Although I am not certain this only means that SOME proprietary apps, were taken from Nexus and placed on the Droid. The actual hardware drivers on these ROMs are STILL FRF57. Also it is important to remember what was stated above about the numeric portion of a build id being device-specific. Although the ROM may pull device-independent apps from nexus, that doesn't guarantee that they are any more advanced than the motorola ones. (They may be, but it's not a guarantee)

Since the source itself as well as the features implemented are not related to these proprietary files, as of Sapphire 0.6.1 I will be dropping the build ID labeling from the release page, and the reference to these proprietary files will be available in the changelog and build.prop, but not be used to identify the ROM.

I feel that this is the right thing to do, as personally I think it is somewhat of a lie to users to label a ROM FRF83 when the core hardware files are still FRF57, especially when most users don't fully understand what those build numbers mean, other than that one number is higher than the other. Also, pairing a source ROM with a leaked id, confuses users into whether a ROM is truly built from source or not.

I hope that this has cleared up some confusion about all of this. :)

crdnilfan

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this! I agree with you when you say that you disagree with people posting builds as FRF83, when they're still just basing it off the FRF57 files for the Droid.

Good post. +1

Fulle

Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation! Now for the moral dilemma....

Do I refer the Bugless Beast zealots to this post.... or just let them continue to go on, confused as heck?

PJnc284

Reaction score
Look for an FRF85B rom now since it's out for the N1. lol

nagmier

Reaction score
Just an FYI I think I remember seeing someone explain that the 3rd char is a repeat of the first char ESE, FRF... etc but if could be that its just something I keep telling myself so I'm not 100% but it seems to make sense over the last few releases we've seen

OP
cvpcs

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Just an FYI I think I remember seeing someone explain that the 3rd char is a repeat of the first char ESE, FRF... etc but if could be that its just something I keep telling myself so I'm not 100% but it seems to make sense over the last few releases we've seen

I used to think so as well but I believe the first eclair leak for droid was ERD56, or something along those lines. I may be mistaken though

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

I used to think so as well but I believe the first eclair leak for droid was ERD56, or something along those lines. I may be mistaken though

ESE53 is what I thought it was. I'll check Adamz's section because his 6.0.1 ROM is based off it.

Yeah, it's ESE53.

OP
cvpcs

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

ESE53 is what I thought it was. I'll check Adamz's section because his 6.0.1 ROM is based off it.

Yeah, it's ESE53.

Well it appears i stand corrected :)

J

Johnly

Seeing how I have a droid, the best build for me is the FRF57???

J

Johnly

Seeing how I have a droid, the best build for me is the FRF57???

Unless another leak comes out, that's the only option you have right now. All the other are for the Nexus 1.
That is what I figured, and I tried a FRF83 rom and everything seemed OK except major players like maps and Navigation? I head into Denver often, and that Nav app is my very good friend! What is the deal with people thinking FRF83 is better? Bigger number? lol! Thank you for confirming this sir.