Explain Ringtone apps to me...

nitsuj

Reaction score
I didn't know if this should go in the general discussion section, or the app section. I'm sticking it here because it pertain to ringtone apps, if it's in the wrong place, I humbly apologize. Anyhow...

Whats the deal with ring tone apps? When you download a ringtone, where does it go? I can see it on the sd card when I mount the phone to my computer, but it doesn't appear in my list of choices when I go to setting and try to change my tone. I've tried several ringtone apps, and none of them have worked for me. I know I'm doing something wrong. Yesterday, I was using Mabilo. Found a tone I wanted, downloaded it and set it as my tone. Not only did it not work, but it also prevented me from choosing one of the default tones on the phone. No matter what I selected, it stayed on the tone it was using when I got the one from Mabilo. Then I uninstalled Mabilo, and all is normal. WTH?

TIA.

jeebuss1

Reaction score
I'm using Zedge app and when I want to change ringtone, a complete action using prompt pops up and it asks me if I want to use Android system or Zedge. Settings/sounds and display/ringtone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
nitsuj,

you can customize your own ringtones and notifications by creating folders for each on your SD card.
1) "ringtones" (all lower case) for your ringtones
2) "notifications" (all lower case) for your notifications.

When you open an app setting or contact setting, and go to select a ringtone/notification, they will appear in the system list for tones you can choose! It's very simple to manage, and there's no 3rd party app to download!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How do you create folders on the SD card?
You need a file manager, such as Astro File Manager or EStrongs File Explorer (both available in Market)

Then the app works like file explorer for Windows. Open the app and create the two folders on your SD card!

OP
nitsuj

nitsuj

Reaction score
Can you do the same thing without an app by just hooking the phone to the computer and mounting it then creating the folders?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can you do the same thing without an app by just hooking the phone to the computer and mounting it then creating the folders?

Yes you can. The app just allows for you to have a file manager on your phone, just like Windows has file explorer.

bllarkin

Reaction score
Mabilo puts all of it's ringtones on the SD card under com > Mabilo or something like that. You have to do all the setting of the tones through the Mabilo program. I have just gotten in the habit of getting the tone, then moving it to my ringtones folder from the default folder, then it just shows in the menu in Android.