Expert help please.

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by robs1011, Aug 13, 2010.

1. robs1011

robs1011 New Member

I've searched and searched and have yet to find someone with my problem. I'm wondering if my phone just can't handle 2.2 ROMS. I've tried several ROMS not just BB and when I install them all my phone gets super hot and the battery drains in 3 to 4 hours. Right now i'm on 2.1 again and my battery stays around 84 to 88 degree's F. As soon as I load the 2.2 ROMS my phone goes to 110 to 115 degree's F. At first I thought maybe because the phone needs time to cool down so I left some ROMS on there for a few days to let it do it's thing. I had to carry a charger with me every where I went. Sucked! Nothing ever changed. There would even be times when I would plug the phone in to charge it and the battery percentage would drop. Also every time the phone was plugged in it got super hot. When i'm on 2.1 it rarely gets hot at all and never to the 110 to 115 degree F range.

Basically I'm asking, can my phone just not handle these ROMS? I'm so disappointed because the small amount of time I've had certain ROMS i've loved them. Am I just stuck with stock operating systems?

Anyone who has a lot of knowledge on this stuff I would appreciate any help or suggestions or even just a "your phone can't handle it" lol....

Thanks.
  2. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Did you wipe Data/Cache at least twice before installing 2.2?
  3. robs1011

robs1011 New Member

Yes and even tried 3 or 4 times. It's almost like something is constantly running but I can't figure out what. I have some friends running it fine but for some reason my phone is whack!
  4. mojo_droid

mojo_droid Premium Member Premium Member Developer

have you tried other kernels?

two things that can cause your phone to heat up faster are higher voltages and overclocking.

since something is going on with your phone I would try using a different kernels and see if that helps at all. start with a standard/medium voltage and dont overclock it. if your phone doesnt overheat, try a lower voltage. if that works try overclocking some. just tinker with it to try to find a set up that will work for your phone.
  5. Black_diamond

Black_diamond New Member

When im messing with my phone, downloading Roms or flashing stuff, mine gets really hot to but once i turn down the SETCPU and finish downloading everything it cools back off.

Are you haveing problems with the phone running hot all the time or just when you are in the moment od downloading the roms and flashing kurnels?
  6. trainstroker

trainstroker New Member

One thing you can do to troubleshoot is to get the phone to your problematic 2.2 really hot state and open up a prompt and find out if a process is heating your phone up. If you install busybox on your phone, you might be able to run top (looking for something with high proc usage). if not that then try the 'ps -aux' command (or similar switches, i dont really remember the arguments it takes, i just remember on the unix boxes i work with, aux lists what i need) and looking for something with long runtime

Alternatively, I would suggest using a 2.2 rom which has the setup wizard disabled. I can't remember if it was BB .2 or .3, but one of them disabled the stock (and recently re-enabled) feature of autodownloading all your data from the market. Try to wipe data and cache and install a rom with the auto-downloading thing disabled. i think it's referred to as the setup wizard im not sure
  7. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

Have you tried a different (slower)kernel?

Also have you tried a lower clocked rom? I think kangerade (when I tried it) was lower than bb...(felt like it too).

Also how good is your cell coverage? Did all your apps auto resotre properly? Did you restore apps with a backup afterwards or just let the market do it?
  8. trainstroker

trainstroker New Member

kernels are not SLOWER, they have different clock speed slots. Even so, a kernel with a minimum of 125 MHz vs. 250-400 MHz wouldn't cause these issues. Also, roms are not "clocked", you adjust a range the processor can stay in via a program like SetCPU.
  9. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

That's nice and all, but maximum frequency is maximum frequency, many people don't use setcpu....SOOOOOOOOOO a 800mhz kernel is faster than a 500.

Wtf?
  10. robs1011

robs1011 New Member

Wow, thanks for the responses. Really I do appreciate it.
    Here's what I've tried. All Chevy and P3 kernels. The thing with the kernels is it seems like my phone won't charge properly when it's plugged in and that's when it gets the hottest.

I've never run a command in busy box before. Do I just open up Android Terminal Emulator or how do I do this. Then do I type su enter and then type in top enter?

I like the idea of installing the ROM without the automatic sign in genie. After that I could then upgrade to v0.4 correct?

I have used setcpu but it didn't seem to help out at all. Maybe because a process is still running?

I feel like my signal is descent. Could be better but you are right maybe my apps didn't finish installing correcting. If that's the case then I could try installing a version that doesn't use the automatic sign in genie correct then upgrade to V0.4 after that?

What do you guys think? I think I will try this next.

I'll keep you updated on what results I get! Thanks for the ideas. Hopefully this works!
  11. trainstroker

trainstroker New Member

stupid message limit.
  12. robs1011

robs1011 New Member

Thought I'd share this. So I finally go the OTA 2.2 update. Had some issues because I was rooted and had to unroot using RSD Lite 4.6. Went back to 2.0.1 and it did the Froyo 2.2 update OTA after and worked flawlessly. Not really sure why but the OTA update is perfect. My phone doesn't get hot like the rooted updates and it runs much more smooth than 2.1 I had to end up using. Of course I can't theme now unless there is a root out there for 2.2 which i'm not sure as of yet. But I did want to share that no issues what-so-ever with OTA 2.2 Froyo update. Exchange works perfectly and so does everything else. NO HEAT = Happy user!!!!
  13. BuglessFan

BuglessFan New Member

Pete has a rooted FRG22 on his site. Several themes will work with the rooted FRG22 including 928Droid's Black Glass.
  14. trainstroker

trainstroker New Member

afaik there's no way to root a 2.2 device without downgrading, and if he does that and do as you suggest, then this whole thread loops back again and he has heat issues again.
  15. BuglessFan

BuglessFan New Member

Maybe I misread, but it seemed like he was saying he wasn't having problems with the uncustomized ROMs, including 2.2 OTA. Others have reported the "vanilla" rooted ROMs have been snappier/cooler for them. So the rooted FRG22 should be as close as possible to the OTA as you can get, but with root (which he said he was missing already).
  16. robs1011

robs1011 New Member

My issue was with rooted ROMS. Not sure why but they just get extremely hot even after a few days of use. After the OTA 2.2 update I'm not rooted but it runs perfect.

As for rooting I read some articles and there is a app out that cost $0.99 and you can root 2.2 froyo with it. Easy Root I believe is the name. So maybe I can theme after that? If not i'm sure someone will come up with a way soon enough.
  17. BuglessFan

BuglessFan New Member

There are some themes that work with Stock Rooted. If you use Easy Root, just check the build (FRG01B, FRG22 etc) and look for a theme that works with it. I know there's more than 1. I just happen to be using 928Droid's at the moment, and have seen the links for FRG01B and FRG22 for sure on it.

No telling absolutely what makes your phone hotter with the ROMs, but the most likely thing would be overclocking (and I bet all are overclocked), so you've got a better shot with those two builds with no overclocking. Also, if you ever get the itch to try again, you might try using SetCPU to dial it back to 500MHz and see if you get by with no heat/other issues. I'm lucky enough to have mine work with the 1.25GHz. Just like with stock it always gets warmer when charging, and it gets hotter than stock did when I'm using it a lot, but will usually stay in the 80s when I'm not, but every one of these phones seems to have its own personality and gremlins.