Experimenting with optional scripts

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by searayman, May 3, 2010.

1. searayman

searayman New Member

So i have decided to try soem of the optional scripts and want to know if i need to use su first?

Also with these ones:

-free50mb (adjust native system task manager to keep 50mb of RAM free)
    -free75mb (adjust native system task manager to keep 75mb of RAM free)
    -free100mb (adjust native system task manager to keep 100mb of RAM free)

what is the default number and I am assuming going to 100 will speed up the phone? any downside to going to 100?
  2. gszeman

gszeman New Member

Yes, you need to use su first...then you should get the # symbol...type in the script you want to apply after that and hit enter. You should get a confirmation that it was applied.

As far as the "freexmb" scripts, I am not sure...I was actually wondering the same thing...hopefully someone can shed some light on the benefits and what the default is.
  3. searayman

searayman New Member

anybody got any ideas on this?
  4. Coots

Coots New Member

What program are you guys using on BB for your terminal?
  5. searayman

searayman New Member

terminal emulator
  6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Yes, you will for most of them.

Those scripts alter how much memory the task manager will keep free. There are pros and cons to this. On the one hand, keeping more memory free means that the phone is doing less stuff - it should be faster to respond to opening a new app, and the battery life should be longer, as it will be doing less in the background. On the OTHER hand, it will start to kill off things you might still be using, and it will take you longer to keep starting them up again, so it will actually be SLOWER at opening apps you used recently.

Think of memory as the top of a desk. A big desk = lots of memory, small desk = limited memory. The "desk" is where you put all the things you're working on - if you want to use something, you need to find room on the desk to put it, and that might mean taking something else OFF the desk to make room. If you decide that you want to always keep half the desk empty, you're effectively wasting half the desk. Sure, you'll always have a nice big open space to put a new item, but as soon as you put it there, some other things will have to be put away to make sure half the desk is still empty. If you need to switch back and forth between two things and can't keep them both on the desk, it's going to be much slower.

Android is generally really good about memory management. Each app is responsible for being able to save state and be killed gracefully, so that if another app needs memory, it can be pushed aside and later resumed without anything being lost.

Feel free to tinker with those memory settings, but keep in mind that the android system is designed to operate with limited memory, and it's designed to keep things in memory in case you still need them. Because of the smart automated task-killing of the android OS, you will never see an "Out of Memory" error - Android will simply kill off the things you haven't used in awhile to make room. "Kill off" is too strong a word - it's really just putting them away for a bit, since it is able to recall them to exactly the same place you left off.
  7. dwz07

dwz07 New Member

thanks! this helped me out as i was wondering about this same thing for a few days but haven't had any time to research/ask
  8. jville95

jville95 New Member

^^ AGREED!! I definitely needed to know the usage of 50/75/100. THX again!!