Experienced Rooters Needed! please read

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by nateccnn, Apr 23, 2010.

1. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    If you have not rooted a stock 2.1 ESE81 Update 1 using the SBF to place SPRecovery on the phone using RSD Lite...PLEASE read the sticky thread before offering noobs advice. We are creating a heck of a lot of confusion with all the bad advice peppered into some good advice and the noobs have no idea which to follow.

It is my opine that RSD Lite is not as evil as some want us to believe. It probably scares some of the devs cuz if you learn how easy it is you may not want to use the easy install apps they create. 2.1 has a nice foundation and makes custom ROMs a little less appealing.

Not saying there is no reason to chose your favorite rom, but a lot of the glamor is now available in a stock ROM. I could care less if you decide to flash the SPRecovery with RSD Lite. I just ask that you read the thread so we stop confusing the noobs.

Fair enough?

Nate

2. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    If you agree please do a thumbs up to bump this thing till it gets full exposure.

Nate

3. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    If you agree please do a thumbs up to bump this thing till it gets full exposure.

Nate

4. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    RSDLite is NOT a program to be taken lightly. It has nothing to do with devs being scared of some secret getting out. Any program that literally goes down to a hardware level and accesses the radio, as well as the bootloader, and is flaky on top of that...

Its a program to be respected, not trivialized.

5. nphil

nphil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    C'mon man, you can't really believe that. RSD Lite is proprietary motorola software, consider yourself lucky to even find it for download here freely. Like adrynalyne said, RSD Lite can mess with your bootloader which means you can get what's pretty much a real brick, i.e no more "M" symbol.

When you mess around with sprecovery/cw, you can't really screw up your phone because you aren't touching the bootloader. Only firmware and sometimes baseband.

6. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    But what causes more potential for damage? A guy using RSD Lite properly or a guy trying to learn it and being given wrong advice from people who think they know what they do no know about it?

I spent the last few days helping people in private messages to unwind some of the garbage they did to their phones because people told them if they have 2.1 they are not rooted...or after you use RSD Lite you have to install DMUpdater. They are not familiar with the RSD Lite method of flashing SPRecovery and using terminal and SDK Tools to put superuser on the phone. If they would just read the thread maybe we could stop some of the frustration for the noobs.

I'm not asking anyone to use RSD Lite. But if you do use it, follow the advice of those who know what they are doing. How does a noob pick out the ones who know what they are doing? We all sound like we know when we post in an authoritative tone. I can do it too and I have no clue what I am doing. Yet I did help several people unwind their mess. You know how? I refered them to threads that work.

Just sayin.

Nate

7. adrynalyne

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with this post. Its nothing like your first post. Your first post sent an entirely different message. Alas, here is the thing. There will always be folks who think they know what they are doing and don't on the internet. I deal with it daily. Nothing you can do about it, except to try and find the right people to trust through your own research.

Good post. I was taken back by the whole devs worried a secret would get out nonsense.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  8. 928Droid

928Droid Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    RSD Lite and SPRecovery sbf has been very good to me!!

After all this time I finally rooted my stock Droid yesterday..easy as pie and no drama. RSD, then a little ADB for SU and Superuser.apk and I was good to go with a Stock Stable Rooted 2.1 ROM!!

So now I have Stock 2.1 ROM, Rooted with a 1GHZ OC Kernal, WiFi Tether.... it's completely stable, not a single FC or other negative issue, simply a fast and perfect setup for a stocker dude like me. :)

I am with you Nate, other than fancy Themes etc I personally don't see the attraction for Custom ROMs now that we can have stock rooted 2.1 so easily.....but I do understand the attraction for some people and the things those guys do is absolutely amazing. I am sure there is some cool stuff in some of those I may want down the road.....but for me 100% Stable is first priority with my Droid, function is next and what it looks like or the colors is the least important thing to me.

I am just glad and thankful to all the smart guys that made it possible to have a "Stable Stock Rooted 2.1 Droid" and to be able to do it so easily with NO drama !! This is exactly what I have been waiting for to take the "plunge"! THANKS GUYS!!!:)

:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

9. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,666
    I agree sligtly and this is why; people do not seem to have grasp what rsdlite can do. Personally I rather not use rsdlite unless it is the final choice. I prefer installing 2.1 through recovery.
    When helping someone wanting to go to 2.1 rooted I will give them choices and allow them to choose the method they want to do. I honestly scratch my head with rsdlite, because it can brick your phone, which is why I do not prefer to use it. But I try to keep my opinions on methods to myself and help the user achieve his or her goal.
    So I honestly will not shoot your method down, but I will not say that it will be my first choice.

10. adrynalyne

Ratings:
    +4
    I've recovered from multiple code corrupt messages from the boot loader due to rsdlite. I myself do not consider myself a noob, and the point is, I recovered from that, but how many folks who are less experienced want that on their plate?

I guess thats my warning that rsdlite is not to be taken lightly.

11. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    out of anyone in this forum, I've follows you more than anyone else; your advice works and you know what you talking about. So thanks for being a trusted reference.

That being said, rsd is not the devil, the nature of the problem is. Dealing with people is always going to give many problems, this forum is here to help ALL questions, no matter how many times they are asked.

If you don't want too help someone, you don't have to, but you are spitting into a rain storm with this post.

12. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,666
    I agree with that, which is why it will not be my first choice. I am not saying it does not work or is not a method. I just get weary when someone says "My phone is stuck in boot loop"
    And the first method that people suggest is rsdlite. I am like hold up before you start flashing rsdlite. Lets see why your phone is in a boot loop. And why I am trying to troubleshoot some other guy keep typing rsdlite is the best thing forget all that other stuff.
    Then come to find out the reason why it is boot looping is because the battery is dead, so the guys would have used rsdlite for a dead battery, or for something that could be fixed by reflashing the rom and wiping data and cache this time.
    I just wish people stop rushing to it as the first method to troubleshooting. So that is why I scratch my head and is slow to suggest it.

13. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    This is exactly the point of my post. I should not have added the black helicopter stuff. My point is that people throw advice around too quickly without reading everything or understanding everything first. I am not advising anyone on which method to use to root...nor am I advising people to root at all. I just want experienced rooters to read up on this new method before they advise someone who used it that their phone is not rooted and they need a tool that could totally screw up what they already have.

I would have to say I have a lot of respect for Adrynalyne and Pilotcharles. I have never seen either of you give bad advice.

Nate

14. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0

I totally dig where you are coming from, and we've seen a million posts like this, in fact I think I started one myself... The point is: It won't change, that's why we are one of the most extensive help forums for the droid.

Regardless of how many times a question is asked, we answer it. Not everyone has all the right answers, but people are trying and in trying more are learning.

If I had no idea who were trusted helpers, I would probably compare their answer to other answers to see what comes out, too bad not everyone thinks like that.

We have a rescue square and we have the custom titles to help give credence to an answer and that helps some, but that doesn't work in all case.

All in all, the result you are suggesting we obtain is impossible. If the mods policed this forum like that, we wouldn't have a forum to go to.

15. 928Droid

928Droid Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about that... their last advice to me concerning the stock market didn't work out so well.....IIRC..something about not buying Apple stock last quarter! :icon_eek:

But, I have to agree I have never seen bad advice from them concerning anything "Droid" either. Just like many others here, we are all thankful they share their knowledge so FREELY!! THANKS! :)