Experienced a sudden sslow-down in response...

timmerz

Reaction score
Hi, Y'all....this afternoon I was surfing with my Droid X (Craigslist mostly) while bored at work, and all of a sudden rec'd 2 texts from 2 entities I did not know and after I had convinced them no further contact was desired I noticed the Droid was 'way slower than before, and occasionally not reacting to screen input for up to 20 seconds or so...since I have no virus protection I wonder if it's possible I might have a sick Droid now, and what could be done about it?
Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I highly doubt your Droid is infected.

Have you reset your phone?

Are you running a home replacement (ADW, Launcher Pro, Zeam, Go Launcher...)?

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Sick?
Virus?
No.

The phones do things and many times we want it to drop what it's doing to service our requests and that causes the system to re-prioritize.
I have learned when the phone slows, which it does...set it down and wait a few minutes. Haven't had to pull the battery since.

OP
T

timmerz

Reaction score
Ok, I'll give the re-power a shot...should I pull the batt also? is that what is referred to as a re-set?
Thanks a for the responses!
Tim

OP
T

timmerz

Reaction score

Sorry, but I have no idea what those are...it's just a Droid X and so far I've only downloaded I think 4 apps...is re-setting a battery pull?

hyperlite456

Reaction score

Ok, I'll give the re-power a shot...should I pull the batt also? is that what is referred to as a re-set?
Thanks a for the responses!
Tim

There is a soft reset and a hard reset.

Soft reset is done by rebooting the phone or just powering off then on. This can refresh your phone or even a battery pull can help with minor issues.

Hard Reset is going to give you a noticeable difference in speed. You can find the option to do so in your settings and privacy where it says FACTORY DATA RESET. I have droid1, but yours should say the same. This is going to wipe your phone back to scratch. It deletes all the data, cache, applications, etc. All applications that your purchased will still be listed after a hard reset in the market. You can just easily redownload. I'd recommend writing down the free ones you have just in case though cause those aren't always saved.

orrr

for apps, use astro file manager to save your apps for easy re-installation. I've never done it myself, so wont give the steps but know it's possible so do a search. It's not hard at all either way. Hard reset is good on occasion.

Launcher Pro and the apps listed above are home replacement apps. They give your phone a different look and feel with dozens of cool options. Some actually make your home screen snappier (launcherpro in my experience) but I guess could slow your phone over time if there's too much cache or you're using a LOT of widgets. I don't use as many widgets these days and my phones been pretty quick for even the moto1. Widgets are always reupdating and using data which is why they can slow your phone.

Last but not least, download History Eraser. It erases your call info, market history, google map history, gmail search history, etc.

Last edited:
OP
T

timmerz

Reaction score
You guys are TOO cool! Thanks for all the info and suggestions, you all were correct in suggesting a re-power, and I yanked the batt for a couple of minutes while it was off, just to be sure...fired back up at its old factory-fresh speed, with immediate touch-input response from the screen again...
Funny thing, it happened again yesterday....got a couple of texts from peeps I don't know (one of them was the same as it was the other day: my mom got a droid x lol) and once again I had to argue to get them to cease....and my phone was running slower again...
I don't know what's going on, but I have a feeling that by responding to them at all I might be opening up a window I don't want to allow....so if it happens again I will ignore with clenched teeth...
Thanks again!
Tim