Expand the Droid Family?

JayMonster

Reaction score
So the rumors are coming with both a new HTC Phone (probably some redition of the much ballyhooed Passion/Nexus/Dragon... now apparently "Incredible" and the Motorola Devour (formerly the Calgary).

So (obviously we are talking opinions since nobody knows for sure... sans VZW)... do they continue to add to the "Droid Family" of phones with the Incredible and the Devour?

And more importanly... should they? Should all of Verizon's Android devices be part of the "family"? Should other OS based devices be part as well? (ie a Droid Pre+)

If you were in charge of VZW, how would you layout the plan?

OP
JayMonster

JayMonster

Reaction score
Nobody has an opinion? I find that hard to believe on this board. :greendroid:

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ok first. Yes IMHO if they are running the Android platform then they are part of the Droid family. The Passion is coming very soon. I know for a fact the VZW is or has gotten training on the device already. It won't be much longer now.

If I were in charge of it. They would all be part of the Android like. Eris, Passion, Droid, Calgary etc.etc. and I would contine to blast at AT&T's network with it. That's how I would do it for sure. VZW has been very creative recently in thier ads! With the droid family they have something that people want and like. I would push that as much as I could

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think Verizon should incorporate another OS into the Droid line (ie Palm).... it would cause way too much confusion and obviously it's not an Android device so fitting it with the 'Droid' title would be misleading and confusing to some (myself included :blink:)

As far as adding to the 'droid family'.... go for it... choices are always nice. It'll push more and more people toward Android devices.... which will push improvement/upgrades to satisfy a larger customer base.... which should draw more attention to the Market.... which should draw developers.... which should create more options for apps.... which should draw more people to the devices... and repeat :)

MadDroidTX

Reaction score
Im with Martin. I think that expanding the Android family is great, more to choose from for us who like Android. However, laying the name Droid on something that does not run Android seems like it would be riding coat tails.

OP
JayMonster

JayMonster

Reaction score
I don't think Verizon should incorporate another OS into the Droid line (ie Palm).... it would cause way too much confusion and obviously it's not an Android device so fitting it with the 'Droid' title would be misleading and confusing to some (myself included :blink:)

As far as adding to the 'droid family'.... go for it... choices are always nice. It'll push more and more people toward Android devices.... which will push improvement/upgrades to satisfy a larger customer base.... which should draw more attention to the Market.... which should draw developers.... which should create more options for apps.... which should draw more people to the devices... and repeat :)

First I agree that I don't think that another line (like Palm) should go in to the Droid line, but was curious is anybody else did.

But does throwing "any and all" Android devices into the Android line (specifically low end one's like the Calgary is reported to be) dilute the "super powerful robot phone" mantra? And what about the UIs? I realize Sense is already on the Eris, but does a cutesy thing like Motoblur now suddenly turn the Droid line into "princess phones"?

LordKastle

Reaction score
We'll have to see what type of device the "Incredible" turns in to. It will not be like the Passion/Nexus/Google Phone. As we have stated...HTC was contracted by Google to produce a phone in their vision that was to be sold unlocked to all carriers. Fortunately their plan failed due to Verizon's rejection and its capabilities with AT&T only using EDGE so right now T-Mobile is its destination.

The "Incredible" is a phone produced by HTC on their own accord. It is not going to be the same thing as the "Nexus" as that was Google's vision and phone. They were the ones who sent the instructions on how to build it. The "Incredible" is an HTC phone with "Sense UI" and completely separate than the Nexus, not that its a bad thing.

OP
JayMonster

JayMonster

Reaction score
Interesting points all LordKastle, and clearly you have better info in the Incredible than I do, since it is not known from any of the sites I read, what exactly the Incredible is (other than the name).

But regardless of whether it is or isn't a Nexus/Google/Passion. When it comes to Verizon should it go under the Droid umbrella? Should the Calgary? Is there a point where there are too many "Droid phones"?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Droid will be it's own entity.

I believe we are seeing the birth of a brand with the Moto Droid per se.

VZW will have the Moto Droid (flagship model) followed by the rest of the Android based devices.

I wouldn't spent 100 million on marketing and pay Lucas who knows how much for licensing only to let the device drop down the food chain.

Thats my opinion.......

LordKastle

Reaction score
JayMonster most of my post is of common sense...I revealed nothing of the "Incredible".

Google is private entity separate from HTC. When they contacted to HTC to develop the Google Phone aka The Nexus do you think they said "Hey by the way..you might as well steal the same design and format of our phone so you can profit from it and harm our own sales."

And on the other note..the way Android OS seems to be expanding, I don't think any harm will be done by adding to the army. It reminds me of the Windows Mobile OS...Google's goal seems to be to make the Android OS the default OS of all mobile devices, different than Apple's vision of a select phone or two.

I understand with the amount of hardware variety some phones may not be functional with some apps or games but that is why the "flagship" phones of each carrier are important so that the core group of Droid phones can compete with the iPhone in marketplace terms. (From a developer's standpoint.)

Last edited:
OP
JayMonster

JayMonster

Reaction score
Droid will be it's own entity.

I believe we are seeing the birth of a brand with the Moto Droid per se.

VZW will have the Moto Droid (flagship model) followed by the rest of the Android based devices.

I wouldn't spent 100 million on marketing and pay Lucas who knows how much for licensing only to let the device drop down the food chain.

Thats my opinion.......

Well, I agree with what you are saying about the brand and the marketing campaign... I am just wondering if it is about the Moto Droid... or the Verizonwireless Droid "line of phones" (Know what I mean?)