[Exclusive] New 'Tablet' Pricing Structure at Verizon May Be Coming

TheOldFart

Reaction score
The Verizon site and manual says that it will work that way, so I don't see a problem, unless a person prefers corded phones. In that case, he is stuck with one phone.

Now for knee to the groin....this is $19.99 a month for UNLIMITED calling on the same network I pay $39.99 for 450 minutes on my cell.

Yeah, that was my first thought too. Sort of felt screwed for what I pay for my cell phone service. Then the more I thought about it, I started to feel that I might get a bargain for my home service. The feeling depends on whether I am optomistic or pessimistic at the moment. :)

One article I read said that it was supposed to be for customers who already have cell service from Verizon, but I think that is wrong. The Verizon site says nothing about that.

Many modern cordless phone systems only require a single base hub to be plugged into a telephone outlet. The satelite handsets only require a power outlet for their charing bases. Such a system should work with Verizon's Home Phone Connect, where the cordless system's main base hub would plug into VZW's router-looking device.

Looks like you can plug two units into it, not sure.

Like I said, been years since I've had a land line, but what you said makes perfect sense. However, if for this to work someone has to go out and buy such a new cordless phone system it's going to take longer to break-even.

I guess you can. Here is what the manual says:

"The device provides two telephone ports. The ports use the same telephone number.

Plug one end of a telephone cable (RJ11) into a telephone port and the other end into the back of a home telephone or home telephone base unit.

Do not plug Home Phone Connect into your telephone wall jack. This configuration is not supported unless you have taken steps to disconnect the landline wires coming into your home."

I guess you can run it through the home phone wiring as long as you disconnect the incoming line and most likely the bell if you have one in the line.

Last edited by a moderator:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I guess you can run it through the home phone wiring as long as you disconnect the incoming line and most likely the bell if you have one in the line.

That'd be pretty slick, if one knows how to do it.

Also occurs to me this could be pretty handy if you had a second home, just carry your phone service with you! And combined with a GV number...

RemyL75

Reaction score
Basically, if someone has their home phone service through a cable internet service (Comcast for example), then the wiring is already severed (to an extent) from the outside phone line access box. You would just plug VZW's device in where the cable modem was plugged in to provide your service. It's about the same. for those that do not have this setup, then you will prob need a professional installation, unless you know what you are doing, then i say save the money and go at it.

Newton122189

Reaction score
Somehow I just know this is gonna screw me allllll up when I go to get a XOOM tomorrow

I can here them now, "We dont offer those plans anymore."

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Lol all this commotion over nothing.

Heres the breakdown in my mind's eye:

On contract, 3G data plan

And

Wifi only, full price

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

dman59

Reaction score
well, I see Verizon website has the xoom available now so let me go through and see what plans they are offering now. Also they are offering the Galaxy Tab for $299 with a 2 year contract.

nmos

Reaction score
I think I saw an article last year where one of the Verizon big wigs said that he thought they would eventually start selling "buckets of data" that you could share with all of your devices.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Dcon87

Reaction score
Its official, verizon offering Galaxy Tab on 2 year contract for $299.99 just checked the website.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Its official, verizon offering Galaxy Tab on 2 year contract for $299.99 just checked the website.

$499 full retail. Subsidies are really starting to get on my nerves. I'm not sure that subsidies are saving us nearly as much money as we think because they serve to keep prices artificially higher.

Lucas5

Reaction score
I don't really give a hoot about this since I'll be waiting for wifi only version. hell! i'm not even sure i'll be buying THIS tablet, but whichever one i choose will be a wifi only.

say, can a android phone by tethered to an android tablet?

edbdroid

Reaction score
Also, you might look into a new voice service I see VZW is offering. $20/month unlimited calling in the US and they give you a contraption that lets you plug in a landline and make calls over wireless.

This service looks interesting. I haven't had a landline in years, but if I did, I would want this. Port your existing number over to this VZW service, plug your existing phone into this device instead of the wall, and get unlimited calling for 20 bux a month? It's not VOIP, so you don't need an Internet connection, like Vonage.

Kinda makes me wonder, though. If I can get unlimited calling for $20 a month using VZW's existing wireless network with THIS device, why is it so much more with a cellphone? Because the home solution is stationary?

Reaction score
say, can a android phone by tethered to an android tablet?

I don't know about the Xoom, but to tether the Galaxy Tab it had to be rooted and you had to replace a system file.

As for the Home Phone Connect, its too bad it isn't going to be advertised because it really is a nice product.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy Tab