Exclusive in the states only

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well eventually we will get it just not first.

[h=1]Verizon says 'exclusively' for the Galaxy Nexus ... But it's not exactly true[/h]
By Phil Nickinson 26 Oct 2011 11:46 pm
breaksclusive-verizon.jpg

So right about now everybody's freaking out over what so many feared -- and what many of us have been saying for quite a while. There's a distinct possibility that Verizon will have some sort of exclusivity on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
First off, it ain't entirely true. There are caveats involved here, folks. But you knew that, because you're smart and you listen to the Greatest Android Pocast in the World and have heard us say this numerous times now and don't freak out when the rest of the world does. Let's break down what a Verizon-exclusive Galaxy Nexus means, in handy list form.
Carriers, like far too many blogs these days, love to use the world "exclusive" as often as possible. It sure is a special sounding word, and it makes you feel special when you have something someone else doesn't. But here's the thing:

1. If Verizon indeed does have exclusivity on the Galaxy Nexus, it's only in the United States. The rest of the world (mostly) uses GSM-type phones, with different radio frequencies than Verizon. That goes for its 2G, 3G and 4G LTE radios. It's ridiciulous to think the Galaxy Nexus will only be released in the United States, and only on Verizon. It just ain't gonna happen.
  2. We know there are non-Verizon versions -- ie GSM -- of the Galaxy Nexus out there. It's what Google and Samsung demoed in Hong Kong last week. It's what's in every early hands-on you've seen. Those are not Verizon exclusives. And European carriers have announced they're carrying the Galaxy Nexus. So, yeah. We're not talking a global exclusivity here. Simmer down.
  3. Even if Verizon does have an initial U.S. exclusivity on the Galaxy Nexus, that doesn't mean you can't get one that will work on AT&T or T-Mobile. The radio bands listed in the official specs sheet include 850/900/1900/1700/2100 MHz for 3G data. That covers models that will work on AT&T or T-Mobile.
  4. Now does that mean we'll see "official" releases here in the States? Not necessarily. But it's easy enough to import them, though that does mean you won't get any carrier subsidies. Full price it is.
  5. If history repeats itself, we'll see specific versions for other U.S. carriers at some point. Probably not as soon as we'd like -- and a Sprint version gets a little more interesting when you consider its upcoming switch to LTE -- but at some point we'll likely see more. So maybe Verizon has an "exclusive" -- but for how long? We just don't know.
  6. It's entirely possible this is one big misunderstanding, and it's just Verizon being Verizon and saying that any phone on Verizon is exclusively on Verizon. We're not going to bet the farm on it, but stranger things have happened. Repeatedly.
The point is this: Yeah, Verizon might well have an initial exclusivity here in the United States. And that sucks. We've said before that it very much goes against what we believe (or believed, anyway) the Nexus philosophy to be. But perhaps that died along with the Google Phone Store and paved the way for the likes of the Nexus S 4G (and its own Google Wallet exclusivity).
Trade-offs, we suppose, though it does arguably turn the Nexus line into just another phone, albeit one with far less carrier meddling than anything else you'll find. Us? We're holding out hope, and saving our pennies for some possible likely import action.
Oh, and one more thing on "exclusivity."

ivan_411

Reaction score
Checked on Verizon's website and it seems they have removed the 'Exclusively From Verizon' part on their logo. Or maybe its just on my screen :p

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And its being released in EU Nov 17? Then every where else? And Nov 10th is pre-order?

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
I'm thinking Nov. 10th is the release date on Verizon, then Nov. 17th everywhere else, pinch me, I think I'm dreaming, we may get an awesome phone before everyone else...

Better yet, Verizon, send me one on my birthday on the November 3rd, and you can have two full weeks of exclusivity.:D

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
With the MAP showing the Razr's pre-order date of the 27th and it also showing the Galaxy Nexus' date of the 10th, with the 17th being revealed in the UK, I have a feeling we'll be seeing it on the 17th as well in the US.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
With the MAP showing the Razr's pre-order date of the 27th and it also showing the Galaxy Nexus' date of the 10th, with the 17th being revealed in the UK, I have a feeling we'll be seeing it on the 17th as well in the US.

here is hoping for the 17th.

Reaction score
Found on phandroid that sammy confirmed the 17th during their event for the Note. Do Google phones usually ship to other countries first? I wonder if US will have it before the other countries based on the Verizon exclusive that was on their website. I would think they release it to US first and shortly after Global. I did also see the screen shot that leaked suggesting the 10th for US.

Samsung Confirms November 17th Date for European Galaxy Nexus

Last edited: