Excited Noob

TFinleyosu

Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on my first smartphone EVAR which happens to be a DROID X. I get to unbox on Christmas so I'm doing my homework early to be ready to get up to speed fast. I love finding info on forums, so I'm very excited to see this forum so popular.

Here is my shortlist of ideas I need to come up with a gameplan for:

1. Screen Protector Only or Case + Screen Protector
  2. Utility Apps
  3. Entertainment Apps
  4. Default or Root?
  5. Game Apps

Any quick help/links would be great. Thanks.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Screen protectors are nice. When they get scratched up, replace it and you have a new screen. A good clip or pouch is good to have as well. I'm a huge fan of launcher pro plus. The plus version is a paid app but so worth it (scrollable Widgets are cool). Try stock for a while to get used to the phone. Then create a backup and root. DID YOU SEE THE PART ABOUT MAKING A BACKUP? Its your "safeplace" if something goes haywire after rooting. ROM manager is excellent once rooted. One touch ROM downloads. Titanium backup is also very good. Got to be rooted to use it. There are a couple of one touch root apps (easyroot and z4root) that make the rooting process pain free. Finally the most addicting game on the planet is angry birds. Its a must have for all android phones. Welcome to the forums, enjoy your phone. Hopefully you can wait until Christmas! LOL

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Screen protector and case is a must for me.

Rooting is awesome. I will root anything I can in the future...but research and read up on the risks before you do so...there are certain risks.

OP
T

TFinleyosu

Reaction score
Screen protector and case is a must for me.

Rooting is awesome. I will root anything I can in the future...but research and read up on the risks before you do so...there are certain risks.

I'm planning on paying for the insurance for the first year with it being my first smart phone so I might risk it without the case.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would at least get a screen protecter to reduce screen scratches.

lucey

Reaction score
What is rooting?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
T

TFinleyosu

Reaction score
What is rooting?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

LMGTFY

What is rooting?

Before we get started, I want to explain what “rooting” is. When you root your phone, you gain “superuser” privileges to the Android operating system. When you are using a stock device, you have the equivalent of “guest” privileges. If you are familiar with any Linux operating system, you know that the superuser privilege allows you to gain access to administrative rights. This level of access gets you down to the nitty gritty of the OS with no restrictions, lets you make changes to the system, and run scripts that would normally be blocked with a standard user account. As long as they are not encrypted, that is… such as the case of the Droid X, which has an encrypted bootloader. With superuser privileges on an Android phone, you can install programs that need complete access to the OS – such as ROM installers (like ROM Manager), theme modifiers (such as Metamorph), and simple apps like DroCap2, which takes screenshots from the device without having to plug it in to your computer.

While the act of rooting does not do much for an end user, it means the world to a coder or developer. Rooting your phone gives you access to run the applications that developers create that need elevated privileges. Always be careful what you install, though, because the wrong program could take over, or even brick your phone.

davidsdroid

Reaction score
You're a better man than me, my friend. There is no way in hell I would be able to restrain myself til Xmas if I had an X just sitting there teasing me....droid-eyeballing me. Power Amp is a great music player with an equalizer and presets. Some other great apps Dolphin Browser Hd, Juice Defender(Saves Battery), App Brain Market, and of course the Droid Forums App.