Excited about iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by HowardZ, Sep 12, 2012.

1. HowardZ

HowardZ Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I noticed that the phone has a universal lte radio that will work on Verizon, sprint, and a dozen cell companies around the world which have lte networks.

I think this is a sign that universal world android phones might, in the future, support gsm, hspa+, and lte.

2. MJKneuro

MJKneuro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You'd hope. Now that Samsung and HTC are suing Apple for unlicensed use of lte technology......of course the cost of all these legal games get rolled over to the consumer.....

3. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +323
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Well, although many have made it sound that way, that's not entirely true - Apple iPhone 5 to be available in separate GSM and CDMA versions

With the iPhone 4S, every model sold had the same hardware radios inside. For instance, a 4S sold on AT&T has exactly the same hardware radios as a 4S sold on Verizon or in Asia. The software differences are what enabled various radios to be used for various networks and locations and blocked for others. With the iPhone 5, there will actually be different models that have different radios. So, unlike the 4S, there's not one version of the iPhone 5 that has the hardware radios for everything.

4. HowardZ

HowardZ Member

Ratings:
    +3
  5. bsweetness

Ratings:
    +323
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Straight from the source: Apple - iPhone 5 - View all the technical specifications

Cellular and Wireless
    • GSM model A1428*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17)
    • CDMA model A1429*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)
    • GSM model A1429*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5)
    Different models with different hardware radios. There's no iPhone 5 with universal support, but the CDMA version seems to come the closest. :)

6. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    It almost looks like that the cdma version will be able to globally roam lte, look at the lte bands.....?

Sent from My Droid RAZR MAXX with Tapatalk.

7. HowardZ

HowardZ Member

Ratings:
    +3
    There's supposed to be 5 new nexus devices announced this year. The nexus 7 tablet, and 4 more.

Maybe Google will jail break the iPhone 5, put jelly beans on it, and make it the next nexus.?

What if Google makes a deal with Sprint to ota jelly beans to all the iPhones ?

8. zero7404

zero7404 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you are excited about a phone that launched today ?

its got the same hardware specs as it predecessor except for dislay, radios, and processor .... and since 2007 the basic layout hasnt changed much.

so your excited about a piece of hardware thats advanced the least in the last 5 years when compared to the competition ... ? the iphone has nothing on a 10 month old device like the gnex .... and iOS changes its underwear once a year vs. android's 2-3 times a year.

pretty stupid if you ask me ....

edit:
    it doesnt even have a new display it's just longer in one direction with the same pixel density as its predecessor ....

posted via android ....

9. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +247
    Current Phone Model:
    GNote2
    Cant find anywhere what the chip is clocked at??

10. bsweetness

Ratings:
    +323
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Apple usually doesn't announce the clock speed, at least not up front. They like to toss out things like "two times faster" rather than give specifics (probably because they're trying to avoid the inevitable comparisons to other devices based purely on numbers, a comparison the iPhone is likely to appear as the loser in). Chances are we'll have to wait until someone can test it before we know the exact clock speed.

11. HowardZ

HowardZ Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I ordered my iPhone 5 look-alike from China last week.

For $23 and free shipping, I am getting a dual sim quad band gsm phone with some kind of java support for games.

I am thinking of using it as an emergency t-Mobile Phone. Maybe it will play mp3 files?

Originally I ordered red color, but apparently he ran out of red and offered me black or white. Rather than cancel the order I chose white. In a few weeks I will be the envy of the neighborhood sporting what appears to be the new iPhone.

It is not a smart phone, no iTunes, no android. Hopefully it will actually work - considered what I paid.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HowardZ

HowardZ Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I was excited that a general purpose radio can do cdma, gsm, and every flavor of lte.

This is a sign that future unlock android world phones may also support every kind and frequency bands of lte. I'd like a future nexus phone purchased directly from Google which can operate on every cell system in the USA and the world. Cdma, gsm, lte. The iPhone radio seems to be very close to this.

Only my wife is actually excited about the prospect of upgrading from her iPhone 4s to a 5.

Personally I have already ordered by iPhone 5 lookalike from china for $23 including free shipping. It is not a smart phone. It does quad band gsm voice & text and should work on t-Mobile. I'll be amazed if it actually works well. I'm getting it primarily for the joke value, and as an emergency phone.

Search tags for this page

gsm quad band chinese off brand iphone look alike

iphone 5 look alike free shipping