Exchanging Defective Rooted Droid X to Verizon

azndan2

Reaction score
I searched around a little bit and I have a good idea on what to do, but I wanted to double check with you guys.

I just received my Droid X three days ago. After playing with it for a few days I noticed that there a screen problem. I was able to replicate the problem in Stock 2.340, GummyJar2.5, and Rubix 1.9.5.

After replicating the problem on all these roms I concluded that the phone's screen is defective. I flashed back to stock 2.3.340, wiped data/cache, did factory reset in the stock 2.3.340, and called Verizon and worked with their tech support but we couldn't fix the problem. Then they said that they would send me a replacement phone because I am still within the return window.

I want to make sure that when I return my defective phone to them it is stock and they won't give me any hassle.

My plan is to run Maderstock's OTA 2.3.340 update.zip. After Maderstock's zip removes root and clockworkmod and returns me back to stock, will that be enough so that VZW doesn't know that I rooted and accepts my phone exchange?

Thanks guys.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
No need to run both SBF and Maderschramm's zip. I say use Maderschramm's update zip to get you to 2.3.340 clean.

OP
A

azndan2

Reaction score
thanks Droid X-er. After browsing around the maderstcok thread it looks like running that update.zip is all I need to do. There are an awful lot of people in that thread that have returned their phones!

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya, its a more convienent way than SBFing. Post here if you have anything issues and I'll help ya out.

OP
A

azndan2

Reaction score
bottom quarter of the screen would become pixellated when scrolling up and down.. it was really weird. thanks all.

Rocko

Reaction score
bottom quarter of the screen would become pixellated when scrolling up and down.. it was really weird. thanks all.

Wow. You just described my problem 100%. I just got my replacement which is working perfect.(knocks on wood).

Do you know what your phones date code was?

Rocko

Reaction score
how do i find that out?

Pull the battery. On the label next to the serial number should be a code that looks like XX/10. Mine old phone was 46/10 which stand for 46th week in 2010.

OP
A

azndan2

Reaction score
mine says 51/10. i hope my next droid x doesn't have this problem!!! Did your problem happen right away or did it show up later?

Rocko

Reaction score
Wow, that's newer than my replacement.

I noticed it at about a week but didn't know if it was just a android problem or what. I then realized I could reproduce it and that it wasn't normal. It really shows up when scrolling in Settings. I hope my new one doesn't do this. I have never seen any other posts besides yours for this problem.