Exchange Workaround for Eris

jameskuzman

Reaction score
My comany will not allow my personally-owned Verizon Eris to be added to the corporate Exchange server. They have an exclusive deal with another carrier, and won't support the device.

To make matters worse, they won't allow POP access either, and have blocked server-side automatic forwarding, so I couldn't even set up an Outlook rule to forward my company mail to my Gmail account.

Their solution was to use Webmail from within the browser, which works, but it's very cumbersome and unfriendly.

I searched and found and found shareware for $20 from SRS Software (www.srs1software.com) that gave me a work-around. When installed and running, it "reads" and manually forwards e-mails to another address. The only downside is that because it's a client-side application, it AND Outlook must be open and running at all times for the forward to work.

Not having access to corporate mail was a dealbreaker for me, but I found the Eris a desireable enough device to make it work.

Just thought I'd share, as it took a lot of research and some out-of-the-box thinking to get this done, and it might save someone else that headache!

Jim

GolfProRM

Reaction score
You might try downloading the trial of Touchdown. For the server settings, you can put in your OWA web address. It's worked for me and many others. I get email/calendar/global address book this way on my Droid.

OP
J

jameskuzman

Reaction score
Thank you, Golfpro.

I have tried to use Touchdown, but have not been able to make it work with our OWA. I think it may have to do with the double-authentication we use.

In other words, I first have to log onto one page - let's say it's "webmail.mycompany.com" - and enter one ID and password. That takes me to a page where I have to select a server based upon my ID and geographical area. Once I do that, it brings me to the Webmail log-on page where I enter my Outlook username and password.

I have no idea how to make Touchdown work with this scenario, but I'd be very, very interested in making it work if you or anyone else on the list would know!

Jim

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
No way to make a location a default?

Why are you using a personal deice for corp email? just wonder since I do the same....

OP
J

jameskuzman

Reaction score
My company will either provide a phone and/or Blackberry, or will reimburse me for my own device.

I had a corporate BB for awhile in addition to my personal phone, but preferred to carry a single device instead of two.

I didn't want to give up my personal account or phone number - should I ever leave the organization (or they leave me!) I didn't want my cell phone number going away, too. I've had it too long.

So I went the route of getting reimbursed for my personal device.

Trouble is, it's not supported in any way, shape or form from IT and in fact is actually excluded from many Exchange capabilities....

Thus the quest for Plan B, C, D, or E when it comes to getting e-mail :)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I'm surprised they are willing to reimburse you for a non-supported device....

Good Luck.