Exchange Email Security Settings

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by creekside, Jan 2, 2011.

1. creekside

creekside New Member

Trying PE for the first time after using UD for the past 6 months and I really like how quick & smooth it is, but one feature I like is missing: when I setup my email connection to an exchange account it requires that I set a screen unlock security PIN or password. That's too darn annoying every time I unlock the screen and, unfortunately, is a deal breaker for me. Somehow Blackdroid has figured out how to avoid that security requirement - is there a workaround for this in PE? Right now the screen unlock settings has the "none" option grayed out (likely because of the exchange security requirements).

Droid 1
    PE 4
    Nextang
    stock kernal
  2. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

This was mentioned in the main thread, and I believe that actngrezy said that the email app from v3.5 would solve this issue. I'm attaching an update zip of the v3.5 email app, which you would install from recovery just like a theme, without wiping. Let us know if this works.
  3. creekside

creekside New Member

First of all, thank you very much for the quick and helpful response. Love Droid forums and appreciate the assistance with PE in particular.

I tried your suggestion and looked back at the main thread posts, but it didn't solve this issue. Just to be clear, when I set up the exchange account it gives me a message entitled "remote security administration" which states that I must "allow the exchange server to remotely control some security features". This apparently means the exchange server will require that I set up some PIN or password to unlock the screen and eliminates the choice to select "none". If I setup a screen unlock PIN, then I get my mail with no problem. I first noticed this new security requirement with the froyo release.

Normally I'd just figure it's something I need to live with, but as I say Blackdroid seems to have gotten around it somehow with the UD releases the past several months. I'm hopeful there is a specific tweak to get around it with PE.
  4. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Have you tried TouchDown? It bypasses the system security required by the exchange server (pass to unlock the phone) but keeps the integrity by just requiring the pin to open the app/emails (i.e. when you launch TouchDown). In addition to bypassing the annoying unlock it is FULLY functional with exchange (calendar, contacts, to-do lists, everything) and offers all the mail features (moving folders ect) that the crappy stock email app forgot (unless they've fixed it, think I saw they updated it).
  5. creekside

creekside New Member

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm downloading the trial version to see what features it adds. Thanks for the rec.
  6. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Earlier this morning, I posted a comment in the Rom Stable PE4 thread:

I have an Exchange edu account aslo. I've used the "corporate" eamil app (icon is white envelope with yellow/gold inside with the @) since day one without any problems. Last month, I installed a version (12.3.2) of MIUI and things were fine. On Christmas Day I installed 12.24 and I was unable to connect to my edu server. I restored 12.3.2 and it still worked. I copied the email.apk of 12.3.2 restored 12.24 and swapped the email.apk's but still could not connect.

Installed PE 4 hoping to connect to the edu server. Unfortunately, PE 4 has not corrected the issue.

I'm not sure what, if anything, has changed with the roms. I've spoken the the sys admin and nothing has changed at the back end.

Motiond referred me to this thread.

I will dl the file and install and report back.

Mike
  7. mwhartman

Installed the 3.5 email.apk and was still not able to connect. Instead of installing via update.zip I copied the email.apk to my SD card renamed the v 4 email.apk and moved the 3.5 to the system/apps folder rebooted and entered the edu account info.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mike
  8. keeseckb

keeseckb New Member

Same for me... Really liked to sounds of this rom but this is a deal breaker for me. Back to LFY it is...
  9. mwhartman

I've had the same problem with MIUI. It appears that Google has modified the email.apk

Yesterday, another mod and I spent the majority of the day trying to get Exchange working with the "corporate" email app but we were not successful. Finally, I downloaded Touchdown and it works flawlessly.

Mike
Search tags for this page

account requires security settings update

android exchange account requires security settings update
android phone needs security settings update exchange 2010
asus android exchange requires security settings update
cyanogen avoid android exchange email controls
droid account requires security settings update
exchange security bypass patch
exchange server droid security settings
motorola razor m exchange email remote security administrati
remote security administration android