exactly how much memory does the droid 2 have?

ashenfang

Reaction score
Bit confused. If I go to main system settings, and select memory. It states that the droid 2 has 6.12GB available on internal phone storage. But when I go to advance task killer, it shows only 52M available. Is that 52 megabytes?

-edit, I should add that this is specifically under phone memory, not SD card.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The D2 has 8Gb of internal memory, I don't know why you are getting a different reading, for the record Task Killers are not recommended for Android devices, Android has a task managment process built into the system and third party apps like this slow down performance and drain your battery

OP
A

ashenfang

Reaction score
Oh really? I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip, I will uninstall it then if there is already a "process" running. So would it also be true that other "task" killers are not able to read the available memory correctly?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
To get an accurate reading try going to settings/sdcard and phone storage and see what those numbers look like

OP
A

ashenfang

Reaction score
Yep. That is where I was going. Says 6.13GB of phone storage available. I was just trying to figure out why task killer was saying 52 megabytes :icon_eek:

What does the phone use all that storage for? Obviously media and other files cannot be stored on the phone. Is it just simply reserved for App installs and cache?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
App storage is a nice commodity, I have the D1 and we are limited to 256MB of internal storage, it can get constricting real quick

superglen99

Reaction score
Your 52 megabytes is ram which is what's used for all the processes and apps running on the phone. You have 6.13gb left cause you have installed apps and the system itself needs some space on the sd card. Hope this helps.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
The D2 has 8 gig of internal storage to store apps and other things.

It has 512 megs of internal ram for applications to run, system processes to process, etc..

It also has a Micro SD card for external storage (.mp3, pictures, Apps2SD move apps, etc..) which I believe is 8 gig as well.

stakeout

Reaction score

It has 512 megs of internal ram for applications to run, system processes to process, etc..

It also has a Micro SD card for external storage (.mp3, pictures, Apps2SD move apps, etc..) which I believe is 8 gig as well.

sorry I'm new to the Droid 2 also... where.. and how . do I check to see the INTERNAL memery not the RAM.. is there a way to access it and see what has been used and what is left.. I can access the SD card's memory/status but can';t seem to locate how to do the Internal Memory

everstar80

Reaction score

sorry I'm new to the Droid 2 also... where.. and how . do I check to see the INTERNAL memery not the RAM.. is there a way to access it and see what has been used and what is left.. I can access the SD card's memory/status but can';t seem to locate how to do the Internal Memory

Go to settings and click on sd card and phone storage, it will show both the sd card memory left and the internal phone memory left.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Simple way to think about it:

Droid 2 has 8GB of storage memory (think of it like a PC's hard drive, it's essentially an 8GB SSD)
Droid 2 has 512MB of system RAM (think of it like a PC's RAM memory, it's like a PC having a 512MB DIMM)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One of the things that make the Droid a great phone is you don't have to worry about memory, like you would with say a Blackberry Storm.

I never worry about it. I also don't have every app from the Market on my phone, as some people seem to. Those are the ones I think get the "low memory" message. I've never seen it.

stakeout

Reaction score
Go to settings and click on sd card and phone storage, it will show both the sd card memory left and the internal phone memory left.

geez... I must have looked at that a dozen times... and never read both SD Card and right below it Internal phone storage ... yikes.. I'm losing it... having fun with the new Droid 2 though...

many thanx... sorry to be a PITA :)

stakeout

Reaction score
Simple way to think about it:

Droid 2 has 8GB of storage memory (think of it like a PC's hard drive, it's essentially an 8GB SSD)
Droid 2 has 512MB of system RAM (think of it like a PC's RAM memory, it's like a PC having a 512MB DIMM)

thanx.. got it... appreciate the info :)