Ex-Google Employees Develop Surface-Like Knock-Off with Android OS

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Remixultratablet3_r1_c1.jpg

We have to give these ex-Googler's credit, if you are going to create a blatant copy of a device, there are worse devices out there to pick than the Microsoft Surface. Several former employees of Google evidently have a start-up with the intention of bringing a unique marriage of ideas together to create a new Android tablet called the Remix. [Editor's Note: We even covered the Remix tablet at CES 2015 ourselves. Here's a link to that video: http://www.droidforums.net/threads/macktion-at-ces-2015-video-5-remix-ultra-tablet.278113/]

The result obviously "apes" the Microsoft Surface, since the outer physical design and functionality are practically identical. Still, we can't fault them for what is actually a great idea. The Surface is a wonderful piece of tech, and it's intriguing to see it with Android instead of Windows. Here's the full breakdown of specs for this device:
  • 11.6-inch display with 1920x1080 pixels resolution
  • 1.8GHz Nvidia Tegra 4+1 A15 processor
  • 2GB RAM
  • 16GB/64GB flash storage options
  • 5-megapixel camera on both the front and back
  • Supports 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11 a/b/g/n
  • Proprietary magnetic charging port
  • Android 4.4.2 (customized)
  • 8,100mAh battery
That's not to shabby to say the least! Their Remix tablet even includes a keyboard cover which "clicks in" using a magnetic attachment. This severs as both a keyboard and a screen protector (just like the Surface).

The pricing for the device is $449 for the 64GB version and $349 for the 16GB unit. It retail in China first, but will eventually come to the US and UK. Be sure to check out the video above for a better look!

What do you guys think of this intriguing new Android tablet?

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
There are still some things that a laptop is just plain better at, but a device like this chips away a good chunk of that.

I owned the Asus Transformer Prime a while back. While it was kind of nice to have the trackpad and keyboard, it was still just an android tablet. Having seen this Macktion at CES 2015 Video 5 Remix Ultra Tablet Android Forum at DroidForums.net video from CES, I think this device would've lasted considerably longer in my collection of devices.

Giving it a sort of Window-based UX adds to the feeling of being more than just a laptop (at least it seems to me that it would) in a good way.

Looking forward to seeing if this device takes off and/or if they or others continue to make similar products that can substitute for a laptop with slightly more intensive jobs.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
They missed out on using a more current processor like the K1 or X1 and comparing it to the Surface is a little bit of stretch. General appearance of the form factor and maybe the snap on keyboard is about the extent of it. There are more difference than similarities.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
As long as you can open any app in a window, this has potential. If they have only a subset of applications one can open, of which were written by Jide, or Jide developers, this will flop.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I like it. I have a Surface 2 Pro at work and i like that device. Its a bit small for a few things but for the most part its very usable. I do find myself detatching the keyboard and using it as a tablet most the time since when I do use it I don't have a desk readily available.

My daughter has a Chromebook and if it works as well as the Chromebook does, then I think it will be a great product. It however is late to the game so who knows really.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't Google develop a full featured Android Chrome browser that supports extensions?
Answer: They would not be able to sell Chromebooks.

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Lol, Chromebooks.:D

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To highlight what you guys brought up about the chrome book, I actually would have liked to see this running chrome Os and use the window idea for running Android apps.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Lol, Chromebooks.:D
Schools are buying them like hotcakes. I work for a school district and we have bought hundreds so far and that surrounding districts have bought thousands too. The new common core standards that most states have adopted are taken on computer and frankly, full desktops are expensive and most schools don't have room for as many labs needed for testing. They (the standards people) have made secure browsers for desktops but also for chromebooks. When testing isn't being used the cards are used in classrooms. So far its been very successful. Google Apps for Education is great. Google Docs is much more powerful than one would think by simply looking at it (had a training on it and what it can do, was actually impressed). I've recommended Chromebooks to teachers to buy their kids as they go off to college. They have all said that it was a great choice. It fits the needs of new college students. Personally I'd like to see more work in the Chromebook area.

Last edited:

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Schools are buying them like hotcakes. I work for a school district and we have bought hundreds so far and that surrounding districts have bought thousands too. The new common core standards that most states have adopted are taken on computer and frankly, full desktops are expensive and most schools don't have room for as many labs needed for testing. They (the standards people) have made secure browsers for desktops but also for chromebooks. When testing isn't being used the cards are used in classrooms. So far its been very successful. Google Apps for Education is great. Google Docs is much more powerful than one would think by simply looking at it (had a training on it and what it can do, was actually impressed). I've recommended Chromebooks to teachers to buy their kids as they go off to college. They have all said that it was a great choice. It fits the needs of new college students. Personally I'd like to see more work in the Chromebook area.

I stick by my LOL.

I have yet to meet a single person that likes Chromebooks. And forcing mediocrity onto a large group of people does not make it good. Just last week I had to admonish an employee for using Google docs to submit paper work. We are a professional company, use a professional software, I.E. Excel.

Opening a spreadsheet in Google Sheets is a nightmare. Formatting is off. Words and graphs are missing. No thanks. I and my kids will stick to real/ full OS when it comes to laptops and desktops.

Reactions: cr6

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I like my chromebook for what it is. No it will not replace a standard laptop or macbook if you need a full os. I see it mainly as an on the go tool supplemented to a standard pc/or mac. It is simplistic, quick, reliable, battery efficient, and you do not have to spend money on IT for maintenance (software updates, virus protection, etc).

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I stick by my LOL.

I have yet to meet a single person that likes Chromebooks. And forcing mediocrity onto a large group of people does not make it good. Just last week I had to admonish an employee for using Google docs to submit paper work. We are a professional company, use a professional software, I.E. Excel.

Opening a spreadsheet in Google Sheets is a nightmare. Formatting is off. Words and graphs are missing. No thanks. I and my kids will stick to real/ full OS when it comes to laptops and desktops.

I agree for the most part but for what we are using them for, they are great. The teachers like them and so do the students. I bought my daughter one for Christmas 2013 and she loves the thing. I personally would go insane if it was the only computer I had but it has practical uses and definitely fulfills the needs of students.

Your employee should have at least exported the file to excel/word from Google Docs before submitting it.