Ex boyfriend reading texts remotely. How do I make it stop?

Brightonbrad

Reaction score
It's on ics so why don't you just disable it. Wonder if that would stop the chance of using it

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Actually.. I found out how its done.. there is an app on the S3 called Kies Air.. all you have to do is enter the phone's IP address in a browser and you can see EVERYTHING on the S3.

The app is preinstalled on the S3 so unfortunately rooting and titanium backup is the only way to remove it. Btw, for certain people, I'm not the OP on this thread. I didn't start it. Just thought I would offer my 2 cents.

Kies Air can be disabled without root or Titanium Backup in the settings, just like most preinstalled apps on the S3. You can also control what is able to be seen and not seen in the settings of the app. Completely removing any stock or bloatware app is never a good idea unless you're installing a custom ROM, so freezing (which is the same as disabling) is all you'd do with root & Titanium Backup anyway. One of the many great stock ICS features.

But Kies Air doesn't run in the background. You have to actively start it, and it appears in the notification area of your device, so unless some serious hacking was done, I doubt it's what this person is using to view texts. But if by some chance it is, it can be easily locked or disabled.

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
So there's a backdoor on the s3 huh?? And I was just about to buy one...Thanx for the tip ;)

Still... that could probably be hacked... no Thanx... lol. The SIII.. a stalkers best friend lol... jk... but I won't take that chance.. :)

Now you're just looking for reasons not to get the S3 when you really want it. It's fine if you have a legit reason, but this is a sad excuse right here. :p

Kies Air is a well known app that allows for remote access to only certain things on the phone. Here's the app on the Play Store. It's not a backdoor into the S3, and it can be easily disabled in the settings if you don't feel comfortable with it. I must say, it's awesome if you're away from your phone or can't have your phone right in front of you while at a computer. You can also transfer files, which is pretty sweet as well.

Last edited:

debrad0307

Reaction score
debrad0307 said:
You can disable the access of remote devices. You can leave it on and also lock certain areas of your phone. I think it's more for transferring files and stuff.

I know you can disable it. I said that.. it doesn't bother me. I was just pointing out the app for the OP

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Now you're just looking for reasons not to get the S3 when you really want it. It's fine if you have a legit reason, but this is a sad excuse right here. :p

Kies Air is a well known app that allows for remote access to only certain things on the phone. Here's the app on the Play Store. It's not a backdoor into the S3, and it can be easily disabled in the settings if you don't feel comfortable with it (although, I must say, it's pretty awesome if you're away from your phone or can't have your phone right in front of you while at a computer).

You're right lmao... but I just don't like that "chance" that it could be exploited.. :p

Its a personal preference... like getting dated tech in a new phone(moto) which I seem to enjoy lmao

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
But then if its not this app... it could also be as I suggested... spyware...there's lots off apps like that on the market... idk how good they are..

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I know you can disable it. I said that.. it doesn't bother me. I was just pointing out the app for the OP

I was typing up my response to your earlier post about needing root and Titanium Backup to remove it before you posted about being able to disable it. :)

But, even if you went the root/TB route, you wouldn't want to completely remove it from the device anyway unless you're looking to install a custom rom. Doing so will cause future OTA updates to fail. So, even with root/TB, all you'd want to do is freeze it, which is the same disabling it in ICS.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
94lt1 said:
He put spyware on your phone... if its any good... it will not be visible and an fdr won't remove it. Look for a program fro finding spyware.. they're free on the play store..

And guys... let's not be talking about a persons member on here.. family friendly OK?

Yes what he's doing is low.. but we have standards here... let's not stoop to those levels.. k?:D

There is a thing called cloning and it goes undetected on your phone and can not be removed. A friend of mine went through that. In order for it to happen, he would have had to have access to your phone to load the cloning program. If your phone is cloned then he can get your texts, your phone calls, messages, etc. If I understand it correctly, he can even answer your calls and replay back to your texts as if it was coming from your phone. The only way to get rid of it, was to get a new phone. Not sure if rooting would also work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
You're right lmao... but I just don't like that "chance" that it could be exploited.. :p

Its a personal preference... like getting dated tech in a new phone(moto) which I seem to enjoy lmao

It can't be exploited if it's disabled. :) And any number of remote access apps could easily be installed on a Motorola device to allow the same sort of thing as well. Nothing but more poor excuses sir. :p

But then if its not this app... it could also be as I suggested... spyware...there's lots off apps like that on the market... idk how good they are..

Spyware of some sort is my guess too. There are also several apps on the Play store that allow you to access just your text messages via a web browser, like my favorite app out there at the moment - MightyText. But with all of those (all of the legitimate, non-spyware ones), the app can be easily uninstalled or have passwords changed.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
There is a thing called cloning and it goes undetected on your phone and can not be removed. A friend of mine went through that. In order for it to happen, he would have had to have access to your phone to load the cloning program. If your phone is cloned then he can get your texts, your phone calls, messages, etc. If I understand it correctly, he can even answer your calls and replay back to your texts as if it was coming from your phone. The only way to get rid of it, was to get a new phone. Not sure if rooting would also work.

He can even alter certain things... very invasive... that's what most spyware apps do.. I'm Googling it and I even see that you can use certain one via Bluetooth. Wow... psycho much??? :eek:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
A factory data reset should do it Like said. Since I could only see an app being able to do that. Unless he seriously modded your phone which I doubt.

And also another thing to do is just start sending messages to your closest friend (let them know what your doing in person) and just keep texting embarrassing things about him. That should make him stop! Lol:D

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

He put spyware on your phone... if its any good... it will not be visible and an fdr won't remove it. Look for a program fro finding spyware.. they're free on the play store..

And guys... let's not be talking about a persons member on here.. family friendly OK?

Yes what he's doing is low.. but we have standards here... let's not stoop to those levels.. k?:D

94lt1 is right. Got to keep things family friendly. :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
bsweetness said:
94lt1 is right. Got to keep things family friendly. :)

Yeah, but I like his original idea better... much more effective but yes, not very family friendly. So, in family friendly terms... have text discussions about things where it insults his ego the most. I think that is family friendly.

And back to cloning or spyware. When you google it, there are a zillion programs for it. It is illegal. The supposed original purpose of such programs was to allow someone with multiple phones (business, personal) to clone the phones so that the person only had to carry one phone and still receive all calls and messages from the other phone. The obvious most common use now is not for those legal purposes.

Depending how much info he is getting... just the phone #, time, that it was a text or call could help you determine if it is cloning or if it is by just logging into your Verizon account online. If he has your Verizon log in password or your Verizon account #, then he can get that information by logging into your account.

If he is getting some texts or calls that you are not, it is probably cloning. Apps, like mighty text and tablet talk have to be enabled on both devices in order for it to work and there is a notification icon showing it is enabled so you would know if it was that type of app. I am not familiar with the SG3 app, so I can't offer much insight into that.

Apparently cloning is fairly common because when my friend was going through it, she finally went to a Verizon store to ask how it was possible and how to make it stop. The rep immediately told her that her phone was cloned and immediately gave her another phone. I should add that this was years ago with a non-smart phone so things may have changed since then.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
If he is getting some texts or calls that you are not, it is probably cloning. Apps, like mighty text and tablet talk have to be enabled on both devices in order for it to work and there is a notification icon showing it is enabled so you would know if it was that type of app. I am not familiar with the SG3 app, so I can't offer much insight into that.

With MightyText, you just have to enable it once on the phone and it stays active unless you deactivate it. There's also no notification icon for it. So, an app like that could run without the OP knowing about it. That said, there should be an icon for it in the app drawer, or at the very least, it will be in the list of downloaded apps in the settings.

It's possible that it's been cloned, but that really takes quite a bit of work and know how. And it's far more difficult to clone a smartphone than a non-smartphone. Plus, it would need to be cloned onto another device. So, while it might be possible, I'd say it's very, very unlikely that it's what has happened in this case.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
We don't know this guy... and i can say this... let's not tell someone to do something that might put their life in danger...

You never know what the person is capable of .. just saying.

How do you know he can see your texts?? Is he still communicating with you??

Cyber law is different from state to state... and even city to city. I'd contact the police...

Last edited: