eWeek's top 10 reasons Android can't touch iOS

mtavenger55

Reaction score
I can't stand Apple fanboys. Don't they no that Android is now the #1 OS in the U.S? I guess not lol.

Asperity

Reaction score
Because IOS4 multitasks, Android has a long way to go to match what Apple is currently offering? It's clearly implied IOS4 multitasks better, if not implying Android doesn't do it at all.[\B]

It is not implied at all as no assessment of the quality of iOS's multitasking is made nor is it stated that it is a platform defining feature which would suggest what you're claiming.

Multitasking closed the one glaring deficiency in iOS that Android did not. We all know the history of the Droid v. iPhone was centered hugely around the ability to multitask. Droid did and iPhone didn't. With the inclusion of the feature, the author implies Android will be hard pressed to provide a better mobile operating system as it no longer as that advantage of multitasking.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
the first four things make you think the article is a joke, and it pretty much is until that point. but the last 6 are true...ios is more responsiveness than android, and easier to use. and itunes integration is a big deal for some people. the first half of the article is a good practical joke, the next makes good points.

but seriously, you gotta wonder what moron wrote that article and didnt know android has multitasking and folders hahaa..

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Wow...I didnt get that from reading #3....

So what you are saying is Android had it first. Now Apple has it. Now Android will be hard pressed to provide a better mobile OS.....

And thats one of the 10 reasons Android cant touch iOS.....according to the author....cuz iOS finally has multi tasking....that Android already had....

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
the author clearly meant that android didn't have it, or that ios somehow does it better...android does have it, and ios doesn't do it better (and on the flip side, android doesn't do it better either)...in short, the author was a moron for stating that haha

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It is not implied at all as no assessment of the quality of iOS's multitasking is made nor is it stated that it is a platform defining feature which would suggest what you're claiming.

Sure it is. Look at the title of the article: Top-10 reasons Android can't touch iOS. It's misleading at best - normally you expect such a list to be based on differentiating features.

Read the statement again: "Because of [multitasking], Android has a long way to go to match anything iOS offers".

That statement simply doesn't belong in the list. Something Android was already doing is not a reason "Android can't touch iOS". The only logical implication is that Android doesn't multi-task. Note the writer didn't say "because Android no longer has an advantage with multi-tasking..."

The writer goes further talking about how "users" wanted mult-tasking for years. It's a somewhat vague reference and the writer can only be referring to IPhone users. But, again, as written the vague statement could be interpreted as multi-tasking not being available in the market. And that's consistent with the later statement implying Android doesn't multi-task. And, what, "multitasking is a KEY reason Apple has enjoyed success as of late"? The choice of words - in three different statements - certainly makes it appear that the writer believes iOS is the only phone doing multitasking.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
the first four things make you think the article is a joke, and it pretty much is until that point. but the last 6 are true...ios is more responsiveness than android, and easier to use. and itunes integration is a big deal for some people. the first half of the article is a good practical joke, the next makes good points.

but seriously, you gotta wonder what moron wrote that article and didnt know android has multitasking and folders hahaa..

Well thanks to you I went back and read the rest of the article...lol

Yea, it did get better after 1-4.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think people are getting too fired up about what one dude wrote in an article. He is entitled to his opinion as right or wrong as it may be. I don't understand why we get so defensive about these articles that are pro apple. There are just as many biased android articles as well.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think people are getting too fired up about what one dude wrote in an article. He is entitled to his opinion as right or wrong as it may be. I don't understand why we get so defensive about these articles that are pro apple. There are just as many biased android articles as well.

yeah android fanboys are just as bad, if not worse, then apple fanboys

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I can understand those points, but the multitasking? Droids have had multitasking far longer than iOS and this is hinting that the droids don't have it at all..

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I will admit that the iphone's screen is much more responsive. Never seen lag on an iphone before. And I've never seen an android device that hasn't had lag at least on occasion XD.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I will admit that the iphone's screen is much more responsive. Never seen lag on an iphone before. And I've never seen an android device that hasn't had lag at least on occasion XD.

yeah every android device has lag, that just comes with being android. google i don't see anyway they're going to catch up to iOS in that respect. same ease of use.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Now this article seems like its not even serious, but just in case it is here are my thoughts.

1. Google isn't so big on software
What? Google has software of its own, that integrates VERY well with Android!

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHW4bn6NVMYYvL5dVGtUME5Zv73Ig

2. Apple understands consumers
Sure it does, it understands that it can tell consumers exactly what it can or can't do with its devices, and that's that.

3. Multitasking
Now this is just bizarre, to claim that Android has never been able to multitask is just ignorant. As if iOS 4 completely invented mobile multitasking and no one has EVER thought of it before!

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGWhaStBCNVrL5opRffyhFdf-TU0A

4. Folders make it all OK
Once again, I don't think the author has even used Android. I've been making folders on my Motorola Droid for my homescreen ever since I bought my phone.

5. Ease of use must come into play
This is only one of two points I think the author has at least a smidgeon of a point. Someone who has never had a smartphone before will find it very easy to use, as its OS is very similar to a standard feature phone in that all it is is a platform to run apps (feature phones are just platforms to run a set of fixed apps, really). So all they have to do is start it up, and press on an app to start using it and that's it. Android runs like a mini computer, in that it has a desktop with widgets as well as app icons.

6. Responsiveness
This is the other point I think the author has a smidgeon of a point.
I have played with an iPhone in a Mac store and I wll say it is a very responsive OS. However: Froyo has made it very responsive, and the hardware in the latest Android devices have made it to the point that its smooth as hell (My buddy has the Tmobile G2 and I must say its VERY smooth)

7. Too many variations
I see this as a BENIFIT for Android. If you can't afford the top of the line smartphone, you can still get a mid-range or slightly lower range smartphone. My gf likes her mid-range LG Ally just fine. If you can't afford the initial cost of the iPhone, good luck finding a cheaper version (outside of China!).

8. Apple's App Store
Yep, Apple's app store isn't full of thousands of apps that do the very same thing, nor is it full of crap apps like fart apps. Tongue in cheek aside, I would say a higher percentage of the Google Market apps are free, and it probably has about the same percentage of crap apps or productive apps as the Apple App store. However, Android Phones support app stores OTHER than the official Google one, and that allows for more flexibility for developers as well as consumers. Suppose you live in a country where its tough to get an iPhone or the Google Market can't quite support your payments?

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNE4mpXuCNiA7CNYpOfEm--8mxT0MA

9. iTunes integration
This one only works if you actually like or have iTunes. Besides, many apps on the Android phone work extremely well syncing with desktop programs. In fact, Winamp Beta for Android syncs very well with Winamp for your computer. I say supposedly because I've never used it myself.

10. The tablet issue
Lol. So what if "Android 2.2" wasn't meant for a tablet. I highly doubt that iOS was designed for a tablet. You won't see Steve Jobs admitted anything bad about it because they want sales sales sales. People who have used Android 2.2 on tablets say it still functions very well, and what is a tablet but an extremely large smartphone, possibly without the ability to call anyone? All the iPad is is a larger iPod Touch.

Bilgediver

Reaction score

Having actually taken a course in logic, I can say that he is not trying to state opinions he is trying to come up with a list of 10 reasons why his final conclusion of iOS > Android. You can logically attack his argument by attacking his "reasons" (I honestly forget the correct terminology).

If his article just said "I personally think iOS 4 is just better and that's that", then that would be stating an opinion, and he is entitled to that. However he was stating reasons as if they were facts and you CAN attack those reasons/facts if they are false.