1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

EvilBoot1G overclock droid to 1Ghz

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jared1337, Jan 27, 2010.

1. jared1337

jared1337 New Member

How the hell do I do this? I have it rooted, but i dont understand how to do the rest, like install the image or step 2. Can someone explain in simpler terms how to do this? Thanks.

The overclocker ran various tests to check the system stability at various clock speeds: 800Mhz, 900Mhz, 1Ghz, 1.1Ghz. 800Mhz proved to be most stable and safe for ideal usage.

Benchmarks:

800Mhz
    6.76 Mflops/s linpack.
    3395 on BenchmarkPi

900MHz
    7.646 Mflops/s on linpack
    3054 on BenchmarkPi

990MHz
    8.367 Mflops/s on linpack
    2695 on BenchmarkPi

1GHz
    8.498 Mflops/s on linpack
    2661 on BenchmarkPi

1.1GHz
    9.254 Mflops/s on linpack
    2435 BenchmarkPi

Warning: Overclocking can damage your hardware. Overclocking increases the CPU clock, and hence heat dissipation an can even cause irreversible changes

Alright, now you can go ahead:

Step 1: Root your Motorola Droid [Instant Root] or Root Motorola Droid [Traditional way]

Step 2: Make sure that you have flash_image on your system, in /system/xbin/ or /system/bin.

Step 3: Switch on USB debugging on the phone.

Step 4: Download evilboot8.img for 800Mhz, evilboot9.img for 900Mhz and evilboot1g.img for 1Ghz.

Step 5: Reboot into SPrecovery mode and mount:

mount /system
    moust /sdcard
    Run the adb command (form PC):

adb shell /system/xbin/flash_image boot /sdcard/evilboot8.img

(where xbin is xbin or bin depending on location of flash_image file on phone)

Step 6: Next, unmount in the following order and Reboot

unmount /system
    unmount /sdcard
    That’s all. Enjoy the faster Droid.
  2. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Jaded,

Unfortunately I don't think anyone is going to willingly assist you with Linux commands when the possible end would be a bricked phone. Especially when you are rooting and want to overclock it.

That said the parts you do not understand are Linux commands that have to be entered to load the imaged software to the phone.

That's all I'm going to say here. If you decide to pursue oc'ing, good luck.
  3. ydnandy

ydnandy New Member

do you at least have sprecovery installed? Installing that and taking a nandroid backup should be done before anything else.
  4. jared1337

jared1337 New Member

where do I get sprecovery? and I found this for nandroid.

To save taz a bit of time and/or appease those of you who need/prefer a nandroid restore (instead of boot.img), here ya go. I've had to clean up FAR too much noise here tonight because people aren't reading this post. People need to stop being so lazy and start reading or taking the time to learn instead of expecting everyone to hold their hand through what amounts to neuro-surgery for them because they can't even figure out where to find the skull.

Attachment:
    File comment: Nandroid backup of BOOT with evilboot8
    evilboot8-nand.zip [2.69 MiB]
    Downloaded 502 times

Attachment:
    File comment: Nandroid backup of BOOT with evilboot9
    evilboot9-nand.zip [2.69 MiB]
    Downloaded 380 times

Attachment:
    File comment: Nandroid backup of BOOT with evilboot1g
    evilboot1g-nand.zip [2.69 MiB]
    Downloaded 343 times

To install the nandroid boot backups above:
    Reboot phone into recovery console (this CANNOT be done using a terminal emulator while running)
    If you don't have a recovery .992b or newer, there is lots of good info on AllDroid starting here: AllDroid - View topic - Important Droid Threads.
    Use the 'backup/restore' menu and then 'Advanced Nandroid restore'
    Select 'Choose backup'
    Choose the nandroid backup you want to restore.
    Clear the selections from all backup sections EXCEPT BOOT (only 'restore BOOT' should have a * by it)
    Select 'Perform restore'
    Reboot and enjoy. If your WiFi isn't working, look for more directions below on how to correct that.
  5. tats_06

tats_06 New Member

6. ydnandy

ydnandy New Member

what about adb, do you have that installed? You'll need that to be able to connect to your phone via a pc command line and issue commands. that actually needs to be installed and working before the sprecovery stuff. There are some good links on these forums for help setting up adb.

so it sounds like you dont have sprecovery installed yet... the nandroid backups that you listed wont be any help until you get sprecovery/nandroid installed. You can find the sprecovery files here:

SPRecovery 0.99.2b | Sholes

Here are the commands and notes i kept from when i installed the recovery image:

YOU CAN BRICK YOUR PHONE WITH THIS.
    PLEASE USE CAUTION WHEN UPLOADING THIS IMAGE

** PUT PHONE IN AIRPLANE MODE **

1 - place the required files (flash_image binary and recovery.img - naming shouldn't matter i kept the version number on it) on your sdcard - you can do this with a microsdcard reader, adb push, or just by connecting your *working* droid to your computer and mounting the SD card.

2 - Connect your phone to your computer in debugging mode and use ADB shell to start a root session on your phone by typing su

3 - mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system - this mounts /system as a writable partition

4 - mkdir /system/xbin - if it already exists you will simply get an error (skip if just installing recovery image update)

5 - cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/xbin/flash_image

6 - chmod 755 /system/xbin/flash_image - validate permissions on /system/xbin/flash_image - you are the root user after all, don't need world and group executable or even read =)

7 - sync - flush changes to block device

8 - mount -o remount,r -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system - remount in read-only - you shouldn't need to make any more changes

9 - /system/xbin/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.2b.img - (set correct image file name!!) will reflash your recovery partion with the custom loader.

10 - mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system - remount in read-only - you shouldn't need to make any more changes

11 - mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.old - This will ensure that the custom image will not be overwritten on reboot.

12 - sync - flush changes to block device

13 - mount -o remount,r -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system - remount in read-only - you shouldn't need to make any more changes

14 - hit power button, select power off

15 - hold x, hit power button

16 - you should be greated by the custom recovery firmware

17 - test full reboot and functionality, then perform full nandroid backup
  7. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

Can this be done by booting into recovery with droid root helper? Or do you need sprecovery which appears to be only obtainable by using a sholes rom (which I am not currently using)
  8. tats_06

tats_06 New Member

SP recovery is what will let you get into the necessary recovery mode. ;)
  9. vpshockwave

vpshockwave New Member

These threads where someone is trying to achieve point X from point A without knowing anything about what's in between need to be stopped. If you don't have sprecovery installed, you need to pursue that first. Search threads and find the answers.
  10. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

sprecovery is definitely not only obtainable by running a sholes rom

DO THISSSSSS

Installation | Sholes

edit: and since i have come to the conclusion that NOBODY reads on this planet, this does not install a sholes rom
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  11. tats_06

tats_06 New Member

Exactly...

In simple language...
    You need root to access special permissions...once you have a root, you need the special mode to be able to do nandroid back ups and install custom roms, which is the sp recovery. Nandroid itself is what allows you to back up/restore, but you will need to be in that special mode, the sp recovery. ;)
  12. jared1337

jared1337 New Member

Ya, I have had my phone rooted for 2 weeks now and have SETCPU installed, but now I want to use the Evilboot image to overclock my processor to 1Ghz, but i dont know how to install it on my phone or anything. So I use sprecovery to put the image on my phone? is nandroid a seperate program that will put the image on my phone? because I have a nandroid backed up codpy of the image that i downloaded. And I can install SPRECOVERY without installing a sholes ROM? The steps it tells me to take have me installing a sholes rom.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  13. Techenigma

Techenigma New Member

Jared, at no point does the Sholes.info installation guide mention installing a ROM. You are installing the recovery image, and the initial step is to make sure you have root on the system by installing the update.zip. As everyone else has said, people will not help you take the steps to potentially kill your phone. The guide's are posted everywhere, use the search function here, or search Google. The information is out there, you are just making all of us repost what has already been said hundreds of times. Find the information, and read it.
  14. tats_06

tats_06 New Member

Jared,

this is the steps you need to take to install evilboot overclock...

1. Root Obtaining Root - Root Your Droid (you did that)
    2. Custom Recovery Image Custom Recovery Image - Root Your Droid (this is process to set up sp recovery)
    3. Set up Nandroid Full System Backup Using Nandroid - Root Your Droid
    4. Once you have Nandroid, do a full back up just in case
    5. Download the preferred Nandroid evilboot from AllDroid - View topic - Droid is stable at 800MHz. Nuff said
    6. Do an advanced Nandroid restore for only Boot image, which will load evilboot.

:)
  15. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

You sir are my hero. I'm going to install that tomorrow on my day off
  16. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

lol yeah when someone showed me that link (about a month ago) i was like omg it makes a lot more sense, once you have done the steps on that page and made a nandroid backup you are for the most part set
  17. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

this should be my last dumb question on this topic. I physically move the evilboot8.img to my sd card on my droid before booting into recovery and running the adb shell commands, correct?
  18. ydnandy

ydnandy New Member

Yes - I usually plug my phone into my laptop and mount the sdcard when prompted.

Good luck!
  19. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

well I did it all and it seemed to go through. What a learning experience haha, thanks to everybody that helped. Is there a way to check my phone to make sure it went through?
  20. vpshockwave

vpshockwave New Member

If you're talking about seeing if the CPU speed is actually overclocked, open up SetCPU (make sure you have it fully updated), go to device selection, scroll to the bottom and choose the auto-detect option. Then see if the maximum speed you can choose corresponds to the image you flashed (like evilboot8.img = 800mhz, etc).