Everything force closes, can't call, can't text

liebherk

Reaction score
So I've had a friend's old Droid for a few months, and it's worked alright for the most part, but the other day it just decided to completely screw up.

As soon as I boot up these guys force close:
Amazon mp3 (multiple times)
google services framework
messaging
bluetooth share
gmail
google.process.
calendar storage

Other symptoms:
- I can make and receive calls, but neither I nor the other person can hear anything.
- I can't receive texts. Handscent lets me see the list of conversations, but if I try to view one it force closes. The stock messaging app instantly force closes.
- The phone won't recognize the SD card
- Trying to see the call log results in a force close for android.process.acore
- On the stock power management widget, the GPS button and the screen brightness button don't do anything. They highlight the borders like they're being pressed but the icon doesn't change... the rest of the buttons seem to work fine.
- I can change the screen brightness using the Quick Setting app, but as soon as I go to the home screen it goes back to full brightness.
- If I turn on wi-fi, it immediately turns back off again.

I've tried clearing the data and caches for Calendar, Calendar Storage, Contacts, Contacts storage, Gmail, and Google Services Framework multiple times, but it all seems to get reset upon rebooting, even if I turn off the auto-sync before I reboot, which also gets reset to on upon rebooting. Even if my number has been transferred to another phone, all the data for contact storage, calendar etc. re-appears after I reboot the phone.

Android version 2.2.3
Baseband version C_01.43.01P
Kernel version
2.6.32.9-g68eeef5
android-build@apa26 #1
Build number FRK76

Not rooted. I wouldn't mind starting over or maybe rooting, if only to get rid of the bloatware and get wireless tethering... I just want to save a bunch of texts I haven't backed up with Handscent. Oh, and that app will let me try to log in, but it says my login details are incorrect even though I can log in on their website.

Oh, and I might add, I didn't install any new apps or even change any settings before this started happening. Any thoughts?

I also listed which apps work or don't work, if that helps...

Doesn't work (Force closes):

AK notepad
Alarm clock xtreme free
Amazon mp3
browser
calendar
capital one
chargebar
digital clock widget
draw free (doesn't say force close, just closes)
dropbox
Facebook
Gmail
Goggles - took a while authenticating then force closed
Handscent - can see the message list but force closes on looking at one of them
messaging
play store - seems to force close after it accesses my credentials
Talk - doesn't ever sign in
Voice dialer - immediately says "please try again. You can also try restarting your phone."
Youtube - "There was a problem with the network response."

Works:

calculator
camera [[works but no sd card recognized]]
clock
car home
contacts
Easytether
Gallery
Gasbuddy
Gpad
Maps
Market
music [[works - doesn't seem to play anything though]]
news & weather [[works, but can't get any weather info]]
OI file manager
Quick settings
Stopwatch & Timer
Tweetdeck - I can tweet from it, force closes sometimes though. (Didn't before)
Voice recorder

OP
L

liebherk

Reaction score
Anybody?

I've tried most of the relevant things (I think) in this thread:

Google Groups

to no avail. I would just start over but I'd prefer to save my text messages.

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
First, install sms backup. Backs up all your texts to sd card. Follow directions there.

If you want to root, very easy on the original droid. Just remember you will lose all application data. If you do not want to root, move everything you can to sd card, then do a full reset. Wipes data/cache/everything not on sd card. Since you aren't rooted, all data will be lost (scores/settings in games...)

I personally rooted, and by using Titanium Backup, find that anytime phone acts weird, it is no big issue to reset phone...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

OP
L

liebherk

Reaction score
Well I couldn't get it through the market so I tried to side-load it with the sd card, but when I tried to open it with OI file manager it said that installing apps from unknown sources was not enabled and took me to the settings screen with that option. I checked the option there and hit back to return to the file manager but when I tried again it gave me the same error. It seems like every setting resets upon exiting settings, because I tried changing the usb debugging options but they reset too. So then I tried uninstalling most of my apps, and now the launcher force closes and I literally cannot do anything, not even open oi file manager back up.

Welp, guess it's time to root.

OP
L

liebherk

Reaction score
Ok, this is interesting. I rebooted the phone and everything was back to the way it was before I deleted the apps. It's like something created a backup and is keeping everything exactly the same no matter what I do...