Every ROM I try seems to crash and freeze up - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by mwolfson, May 14, 2012.

1. mwolfson

mwolfson New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have an Original Motorola Droid 1. I just want it to function for another 2-3 months until the Galaxy S3, HTC-One or Droid Fighter (whatever it ends up being called) are released. I have installed the following ROMs:

Cyanogen 7.1
    Bugless Beast
    MetiCliOne
    and now PeterAlfonso Sholes 2.6.32.9

Everyone has the same problem. Randomly when the phone is not in use, I can't get it to wake-up (meaning the display shuts off on automatic time-out, when I go to the lockscreen to unlock the phone, nothing will respond. I can't even to get it to reboot - have to resort to taking out the battery). This seems to be random. Tried to disable the lock screen but it still continued to happen.

Any suggestions on what may be going wrong? I realize that there are many factors (applications etc.) but if this is a problem for anyone else I would love to hear solutions.

Thanks

2. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +603
  3. Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +55
    I would try a different kernel. Roms should be fine. Kernel might be the issue.

4. mwolfson

mwolfson New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any suggestions on kernels?

The first time I installed CM7 - I used Chevy's Kernel
    All the other ROM's I tried I didn't install anything besides the ROM.

5. Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +55
    No idea. I've been out if the OG Droid loop for a bit. I used to use Chevy's kernels and prime kernels though. Try what cjm said though.

6. CJM

Ratings:
    +603
  7. mwolfson

mwolfson New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  8. CJM

Ratings:
    +603
    A factory reset won't dig deep enough to thoroughly clean the phone. Neither will wiping in recovery, according to that thread. And I never questioned why unroot then root so I don't really know.

I don't know if that thread has a link for sbf's but here Pete's page: http://download.peteralfonso.com/sholes
    Use the FRG83G file in the SBF section. Once that's done I wouldn't spend time setting up the phone. You can press the 4 corners of the screen clockwise, starting at the top left, to bypass activation.
    Then the easiest way I've found to get back on a rooted rom is to flash this recovery with rsd lite: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ra...-based-update-zips-battery-charging-more.html
    Then flash whatever rooted rom you like.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

9. mwolfson

mwolfson New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, why do i want to by-pass activation ?

thanks for all the help!

10. CJM

Ratings:
    +603
    I only say that because it's the same steps you'd take after you flash a rom when setting up you phone again. Just saying no need to do it twice if you plan on rooting again.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

11. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

Ratings:
    +17
    Before going as far as unrooting the phone i would suggest to try a Froyo based Rom. There is a good chance that these Gingerbread based Roms just don't agree with your phone.
    Try Sourcery Rom for the OG.

Here is a Link

12. mwolfson

mwolfson New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    End of my Rope

Well guys ... I am at the end of my rope.
    I completely wiped and unrooted my phone according to instructions -
    I didn't follow the instruction on re-rooting - I used superoneclick, thinking that the problem was solved I tried CM7.1 and the screenlocking was worse than ever, at once point I thought I wouldn't even be able to get back to Recovery mode, the phone was so unresponsive.

I then took the advice to go to a froyo based ROM - couldn't find a version of Sorcery (the downloads through ROM manager won't work and I had trouble finding one on the web). So I installed Snkbitten 2.2.6, which seems to be working well enough (at least I was able to get my exchange email to set up), but I still have the problem of freezing up on the lockscreen.

To summarize, the phone will randomly lockup when not actively in use. When I go to slide to enter my password, it is like the touch screen is completely turned off. Sometimes by using the D-pad I can get it to shut down or reboot, but sometimes it just crashes at this point and reboots on its own. Sometimes I just have to remove the battery. The phone does not freeze up when actively in use. It is as if the phone is getting hung up waking up. At this point I have wasted hours and if there was a really good option from Verizon I would buy a new phone. I just need to make this phone last a month or so until the Galaxy S3 or similar is released. Really tired spending time on this.

A friend asked me why don't I just unroot it again and stay with the stock froyo 2.2 unfortunately, with that I won't be able to use my exchange based email (unless someone has a patch for that). Anyone have a cheap Droid X I could use for the next month or so ...?

13. pistacio

pistacio Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Flash a stock .sbf file with RSD lite. It's the only way to completely reset your Droid.

Then, reroot and flash away...

Yes, it's more work, but it's the best way to cure problems from multiple flashes and built up/ leftover files on your phone.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  14. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

Ratings:
    +17
    Here is a working link for Sourcery 2.2, sorry i didn't see this sooner.

15. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +22
    It sounds like you might just be having hardware issues. I still have an old Droid laying around that I am running my SnkBitten 2.2.6 ROM on and use it to compare against my Droid 3 and Droid 4....I never have any lockscreen lockup issues or inactivity freezes. I've left the phone on and sitting for days and a simple swipe to unlock, turn WiFi on and it's running smoothly (as smooth as an overclocked OG Droid can). I'll use it during the week to download different apps to test before installing on my current "use" phone (Droid 4) and leave WiFi enabled, GPS on, etc.. all week....charging every other day.

Other than a hardware issue.....try not restoring your apps. Install them one at a time and see how the phone operates.....it very well could be an app that is causing the issues, especially since it is happening on all ROMs you have tried.

Have you thought about just replacing it with another....say from swappa.com or such? They are going for around $50.00. Buy one to hold you over until you can get the new phone you are waiting on...

Search tags for this page
android crash on every rom
android freezing any rom

android rom crashing

droid razr every rom crashes
razr maxx rom freeze