Every app being blocked by screen overlay since update that enabled wifi calling

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good luck, I hope you can get it running the way you want.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
That's my list that I had to change they all had draw over before the update and worked fine and I had to pair down to those screenshots and I am slowly adding back access one by one as needed

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Actually Sajo, it is a both; a change in marshmallow that is triggered for certain overlay apps. Several factors are present for this prompt to occur: marshmallow, an app that has an overlay on the screen while you are trying to do something in another app that needs to have it's permission settings enabled.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's my list that I had to change they all had draw over before the update and worked fine and I had to pair down to those screenshots and I am slowly adding back access one by one as needed

Quick question: Were you running Marshmallow 6.0 prior to this Marshmallow 6.0.1 update? If you have been on Lollipop all year until just now that would explain the sudden issues with App Overlay.

I can't find any posts related to App Overlay issues with any Moto user since the 6.0.1 update; only posts from early this year when we first received 6.0 Marshmallow.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually Sajo, it is a both; a change in marshmallow that is triggered for certain overlay apps. Several factors are present for this prompt to occur: marshmallow, an app that has an overlay on the screen while you are trying to do something in another app that needs to have it's permission settings enabled.

It's probably an app that has NOTHING to do with any of this that fragmentation and interactivity is causing the bugaboo. I've had issues in the past where a camera app caused my phone to keep going silent on its own because when I started the app it killed system volume, Tapatalk is now causing a Google Play Body Sensor error, Handcent used to wreak havoc from time to time with updates, an update to Swype once was causing every Samsung phone to start freezing up that took over a year to fix, Android Web Viewer caused severe battery drain and sluggishness overall when it first got embedded as bloatware with KK ( maybe JB, I forget which one), etc.
I'll get some app update to one that I don't use much and doesn't update often and mine will be fixed. This is just a thing where Android built a wall around its garden and some developer lost the key to the gate to get in.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Quick question: Were you running Marshmallow 6.0 prior to this Marshmallow 6.0.1 update? If you have been on Lollipop all year until just now that would explain the sudden issues with App Overlay.

I can't find any posts related to App Overlay issues with any Moto user since the 6.0.1 update; only posts from early this year when we first received 6.0 Marshmallow.

I have been updating when ever verizon sent updates so I would think I was on marshmallow but the app icons for ie messenger changed with this update so maybe I was on lollipop but I don't think so?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been updating when ever verizon sent updates so I would think I was on marshmallow but the app icons for ie messenger changed with this update so maybe I was on lollipop but I don't think so?

Go to main Settings, about device, scroll down.to version . It'll look similar to this
0702fa92efd1c64b5fc03bb44ae634bb.jpg

e0ab2bf25bc4dac3f3874fb73f9083a6.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Go to main Settings, about device, scroll down.to version . It'll look similar to this
0702fa92efd1c64b5fc03bb44ae634bb.jpg

e0ab2bf25bc4dac3f3874fb73f9083a6.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
It says 6.01 and I believe I was on 6.0 before I had the issues but these posts are making me question it. Is there any chance I got the phone this summer from verizon and it wasn't on 6.0 I know it has updated a few times since I got it. What version does it start at out of the Verizon box?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Our phones were originally shipped with Lollipop 5.? in October 2015. Phones built after the 6.0 Marshmallow update (sometime in early 2016) would have been shipped with 6.0. It depends on when your phone was manufactured.

cardinal82

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I get this issue constantly and I can pinpoint it to one app. Facebook Messenger, more specifically the chat heads feature. Any time I have chat heads on my screen and it wants to ask for extra permissions it will prevent me from okaying those permissions. If I swipe chat heads off my screen I won't have the problem. It is most definitely an issue with the OS, by this point Facebook has released 2-3 updates for that app, so if it was a case of an app not optimized then it would have been resolved, but its not. I still experience this issue to this day anytime chat heads are open on the screen. Does no one else on this forum use Facebook or Facebook Messenger?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, if there is any overlay on the screen then you will be prevented from accessing permissions for an app until that overlay is off the screen. It is a specific security feature of Android's OS.

cardinal82

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Right, I get that. It is annoying as all get out. Has it been addressed in 7.0? I'm tired of having to swipe away my messenger when I want to share a screenshot or a picture posted in a group chat. Also it's obnoxious but my Turbo 2 seems to forget that I've granted permissions over and over for certain apps. After power cycling the device I've been asked to approve the same permissions I've already approved at least 5 times since the update took place.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I agree! It is annoying. Drives me crazy. And I know I have also had to give the same permissions to the same apps repeatedly. Not sure if it is due to the app receiving an update, resets the permissions or if it's just random.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I recently found a solution for it doing it on my Note4 using Nova Launcher. Under Desktop I enabled widget overlay and it stopped doing it
5b2c21f936d55e22250c7bb618c61e60.jpg
. I saw in another thread about the situation that a user had done that to their launcher and it solved theirs.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><