Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
google-art.jpg

The European Parliament is preparing to call on regulators to consider splitting Internet search from other commercial services, according to a draft motion. European politicians have grown increasingly concerned about Google’s command of the Internet industry, and have sought ways to curb their power. A public call for a break-up would be the most far-reaching action proposed and a significant threat to Google’s business.

According to the Financial Times, the motion is being pushed by German representatives:

A vote to effectively single out a big US company for censure is extremely rare in the European parliament and is in part a reflection of how Germany's politicians have turned against Google this year.

German centre-right and centre-left politicians are the dominant force in the legislature and German corporate champions, from media groups to telecoms, are among the most vocal of Google's critics.

Since his nomination to be the EU's digital commissioner, Germany's Günther Oettinger has suggested hitting Google with a levy for displaying copyright-protected material; has raised the idea of forcing its search results to be neutral; and voiced concerns about its provision of software for cars.

Parliament lacks the authority to break up corporations, but a public motion would step up the pressure on the European Commission.

Financial Times

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I don't want to get too deep into politics here but...

It isn't Google's, Apple's, Microsoft's, Amazon's, etc's fault for being so successful and 'compartmentalizing' them would not be the best strategy to 'take down Google' if that is what the EU is seriously trying to consider. Heck, Google already owns several small companies (Waze anyone?). Disclaimer Opinion: I think this is just a deep hatred for what capitalism is and stands for (or just for Google in general) but go ahead. Go break up Google and watch as the world's biggest and successful search engine becomes the world's biggest and successful search engine company umbrella.

On the other side though: if you want to operate in our country, you got to follow our rules. I'm not sure of the laws in Germany (the biggest proponent of this change), but they must have a strong stance against market dominance to really want to push this.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It's pretty simple. USE A DIFFERENT SEARCH ENGINE.

No way this happens. The Euro's got their way with making Microsoft strip their own browser from Window's boxes, but now they are barking up the wrong tree.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Like Ollie said.. There are choices. No one is forcing you to use Google.

Consumer Watchdog, a consumer rights group and long-time Google critic, applauded the move. “This is exactly what needs to happen,” John Simpson, Consumer Watchdog’s Privacy Project director, said by email. “Search should be separated from Google’s other businesses. We called for this back in 2010 and the need to do this has become even clearer as Google’s power has increased.” Source

It irks me when a 3rd party group decides a company is just too big. Who's next? Facebook....

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So we want to punish Google for being where they are at but we are OK with the oil companies. You know what I like about capitalism, competition. Example, say you have 4 major us carriers who make hands over fist with contracts and fees. Well you can start a company and maybe name it metro pcs, boost, virgin, etc yeah you may end up being bought out later but you can have an influence in the market place by bringing down the cost. Competition is the why we have a large choice selection in smart phones from high end to low end. With middle end phones being the high end of yesteryear. Yeah we have the Comcasts of the world but the market is fair and sooner or later the company that provides the best product for the buck with the best customer service rises to the top. And when they slip up here come another company waiting to take their place.

Sent from my Nexus 6

xxwabbit

Reaction score
All I can say is..good luck with that! :rolleyes: HAHAHAHAHA!! (sorry for not contributing something worthwhile)

Beardface

Reaction score
Sure let's go after the Internet companies and not the monopolies we have to do business through to get the Internet.

Looking at you, TWC, Comcast, etc.

Last edited:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
The only country in Europe worth buying is Germany, every other nations in eu is in so much debt to Germans...they accomplished what they wanted to do in the 40s without firing a single shot. Bavaria is the most valuable piece of land in all of Europe.