ETF or CPO Droid

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by fussion101, Jan 21, 2011.

1. fussion101

fussion101 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My A855 droid was stolen. I have a choice of either terminating my contract for $210 or buy a replacement from verizon for $289.

I'm having alot of trouble figuring out what the best move would be. I loved the old droid and its google maps navigation feature and unlimited data for pandora. I had the old plan 450min/unlimited data for $80 after tax. New plans are now $20 more :(. I have been a t-mobile pay as you go customer for many years. I finally decide to splurge and now its biting me in the ass. I was ok with paying 80 but if its any higher then I'm a little hesitant. Device upgrade is due in July '11 and contract ends in Nov '11

From a forum search it seems that the replacements never work right. $289 is alot to spend on something broken. Should I just start a new contract? Any suggestions?

#1 fussion101, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. Beka27

Beka27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Did you talk to a rep about this? Can you even do that? I thought I read another thread where a member (possibly a rep) said you have to wait 90 days between canceling a contract and signing a new one (because everyone would just cancel their contracts every time a new device came out.)

Also, remember, depending on what phone you get, in addition to the ETF, you'll have to put out money for the new phone, activation, etc... Either way you're looking at spending at least $500 whether you cancel now or buy a Droid and upgrade in July.

You don't happen to have a spare cell laying around the house you can use til July?

3. Dan_08

Dan_08 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Just buy a used Droid 1

4. Droid Firefighter

Droid Firefighter Senior Member

Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
    Ratings:
    +17
    Current Phone Model:
    S6
    +1 ^^ Get onto eBay or Craigslist and find you a used Droid to get you to your upgrade. Then sell the Droid.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

5. fussion101

fussion101 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    once I upgrade to say a droid x in july...does my $80/month plan carry over or do they charge me the new $60talk+$30 data plan?

6. dylanthecat

dylanthecat Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Find yourself a cheapy phone from ebay or such and drop the data from your line until July. Then upgrade to a new cool next gen android phone and put data back on.

7. dasanman69

dasanman69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Get a used one. I got lucky and found one in great condition for $80 on Craigslist but the going rate seems to $150.

8. garrett

garrett Silver Member
    Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    if your contract ends in nov 11 you should be able to do an upgrade now as long as your line is the primary line. The primary line can upgrade at the two year price every 13 months.

this has just changed for all new contracts signed after jan 16 2011 so this will be the last time you can do this.

9. fussion101

fussion101 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is this more of a ymmv kinda thing where you get lucky with a rep or is there actual literature stating an upgrade for month 13? My online wireless account shows I'm eligible for an upgrade in July 2011 - month 20.

#9 fussion101, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  10. garrett

garrett Silver Member

Ratings:
    +5

its an option thats available for everyone as far as i know just call customer service they will be able to help you.

11. fussion101

fussion101 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I found out that the 13 month upgrade is only for those with a $50 or more base plan. I have the $40 plan.

Another question, I bought a droid with a clean esn on ebay. Is there a possibility it can get blacklisted months later after I activated it to my account?

12. garrett

garrett Silver Member

Ratings:
    +5

no....................