ETA for droid problems

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by arty2hottie, Jan 13, 2010.

1. arty2hottie

arty2hottie New Member

If you had a problem with your droid and had to exchange it, when did it occur? Was it right away, a few days into it or had you had the phone for close to a month before something went wrong? Just wondering when you knew if you had a lemon or not. I just got my droid 4 days ago and noticed on the box it was dated november 23 2009 which is close to the first launch bunch. Until I have had my phone for 30 days I am going to be noticing every little blurp to make sure its not one of the unlucky few that got a bad seed in the first generation. By the way this phone is amazing and has been great for me so far.:icon_ lala:
  2. iiimegamaniii

iiimegamaniii New Member

Release day here--no problems--two battery pulls after lockups--that's it. Use it & enjoy it.

- Mega
  3. Echo3

Echo3 New Member

Date on mine shows Nov 24th 2009. No problems with mine!
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Sounds like you haven't had the pleasure of owning a Blackberry. Specially the Storm. I think previous owners of the Storm tend not to dwell so much on little things, as we already realized that technology is not perfect and have come on board with an expectation of minor issues from time to time.

Not that I'm saying things are just fine, there are always room for improvements but if you are looking for something wrong you will find it. It's the nature of the beast. These are phones, not computers so you might want to drop your expectations down a notch.
  5. dro

dro New Member

My box says Oct 6, 2009 - bought the phone on Dec 6, 2009. Had to do one battery pull, think it was the second night I had the Droid. Went to turn the screen on to call the GF but it was just frozen on the black screen. Haven't had a single issue since. Could even have been a bad app, not to mention the unimaginable amount of processes that must have been running from the previous 24 hours of messing with the poor thing.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  6. 640k

640k Active Member

it's not the box that makes the phone, it's the build date on your phone itself. pull the batter and look for the 39/09 number. the first number is the week that your phone was manufactured, the second, the year.

you have 30 days to exchange your phone for a new one, with no questions asked (for the most part). after 30 days, you are subject to the manufacturer's 1 year warranty. vzw will still work with you during that time, but you are very likely to receive a refurbished (re-certified) phone if an exchange were to occur.

you can also buy additional warranty coverage through verizon.
  7. marcogiudice

marcogiudice New Member

u kno thats a qreat question, im on my 3 rd droid already and never kno that there was a date on the box to check, cuz i figured that the 1st gen could of been a bad bunch but dnt kno which one to look for to kno if that was a good gen lauch. but like the one guy said if u look for a problem ur going to find it cuz every phone seemed to have it own little problem and im starting to believe u cant find two of the same driods cuz im callin verzion and having them send me my 4th one til they get it right.. if anyone know from an inside tip which ones are from a good batch please let me kno
  8. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Amen Hookbill! I couldn't have said it any better. Can't believe I put up with mine for a year.
  9. marcogiudice

marcogiudice New Member

ok my 2nd droid date was sept 09 and the problem was my camera wouldnt take far pics at night and wont just turn off by its self the 3rd one was dated in nov 09 and the colors in the screen were way lighter the the 2 nd one and made all my pics look like crap even when i took pics. now i kno to most people eff the camera but i use it alot

im really pissed cuz i refuse to go back to any other phone then the droid but im going on my 4th one and can seem to get one with no issuses

ps i even noticed the batteries were slighty diiferent in both phones one came with bigger lettering and fonts on the battery and date 2nd oct 3rd nov. some please help with some good advice
  10. arty2hottie

arty2hottie New Member

This reminds me of when the xbox360 came out. Some people had problems and had to get 3 to 4 xbox exchanges while others like myself didn't. It's weird how that happens.

Hook, never had the pleasure of owning a storm. From what I have heard though, that was not a pleasurable experience. lol. I know you were being sarcastic, just being sarcastic to.

I know the Droid is not perfect, I'm just talking about the major problems that occur. I consider it a major problem if viperboy has told you to exchange the phone.

640k Ill take a look at the battery when I have to pull it. Don't want to do it before I need to otherwise my phone will think its ok to always act that way.:wink:
  11. JamesX

JamesX New Member

My first one had static in the built in "ear-speaker" Speaker mode or headjack have no problems. But it is enough to live with. But 4 days after I got it (3 days after use, charged 24 hours for the first day) the top slide became loose and started to rattle when I use the touch screen.

So I went back to Verizon Store to return it. The manager said it was normal wear and tear and refused. I returned the whole package (since it is within 30 days) and called Verizon Support to buy another one. The tech support agree that the loose slide is not normal wear and tear and refunded the restocking fee.

It arrived the day after - free overnight fedex shipping.
  12. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

You know this stuff really bugs me. What is with those VZW Store managers? Why won't they work with people, they act like it's coming out of their own pocket.

OK Rant over. Sorry for the interruption. I feel better now.:)
  13. Firegrl

Firegrl New Member

I was browsing Motorola's site one day and found that I could check and see if my Droid was still covered under warranty. Go here and look on the left side under "Contact Us" and you will see it. Pretty handy if something major goes wrong. Bought my Droid in November and it says I have warranty until the end of January 2011. Must pad it a little to make up for shelf time.

You can find the serial number to look it up under settings > about phone > status > MEID.
  14. arty2hottie

arty2hottie New Member

I think they get so many people in there with user error that when someone comes in with a valid problem like JamesX they over look it. Next time your in a store watch and listen to some of the people that come in, its pretty comical. The 45 min I had to wait for a salesman went by so quick just people watching in the verizon store. LOL Hook im with you though on those store managers. We should start a thread on peoples experience's with a verizon store employees.
    Oh ya back to the topic. Day 5 and droid still running strong. No major problems yet and hopefully none to come.
  15. arty2hottie

arty2hottie New Member

thanks for that good to know. I think they give you the extra to cover the 30 day warranty with verizon. I got mine jan 9th and its covered till feb 23 2011. If it covering the 30 days with verizon exchange is right, I dont know what the extra couple weeks are for.
  16. msblueline

msblueline New Member

Mine says 40/09. I can only assume that that is sometime in late Oct to early Nov.

There are approx 4.3 weeks in a month, 52 in a year. Using the 4 weks to a month will not work out evenly. There are 4 weeks missing.

Going Backwards would be like this:

52 - 47.7 = Dec

47.7 - 43.4 = Nov

43.4 - 39.1 = Oct

39.1 - 34.8 = Sep

34.8 - 30.5 = Aug

30.5 - 26.2 = Jul

26.2 - 21.9 = Jun

21.9 - 17.6 = May

17.6 - 13.3 = Apr

13.3 - 9 = Mar

9 - 4.7 = Feb

4.7 - .4 = Jan

Of course there is .4 missing somewhere... (That would be because some months start in the middle of the week.) But it is close enough for government work... LOL!!!

What ever your week number is should fall in there... Mine is 40, so that is Oct according to my graph chart above.

:greendroid: (Ok, so I was bored.) :greendroid:

msblueline
  17. 640k

640k Active Member

wait, what? what are you talking about? 40 represents the 40th week of the year 2009. the 40th week of the year was the last week of september and teh first week of october. your phone was manufactured between 9/27 and 10/3.
  18. msblueline

msblueline New Member

I put Oct - Nov as the time frame before I made the graph scale.

oops

I forgot to change that after I made the scale.

It shows to be real close to what you said: Late Sep to early Oct...

As I said, I was bored... LOL!!!

My bad

msblueline
  19. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

It's not the battery, it's the sticker under the battery...