Esn help!

Marybrigid

Reaction score
I realize this may be an odd question for this forum, but I have tried on other forums with no help.
I purchased a Droid Incredible on craigslist a few months ago. The original owner used the phone on Verizon. After purchasing, I put the phone on page plus. (Page plus allows only Verizon's phones, no flashing required, no messing with software at all.) anyway, I was recently approached by a girl with a Droid X who wanted to trade her X for my incredible ... Of course I said yes. She really had no knowledge of phones so she insisted on meeting at a Verizon store so the workers could do it all for her. Fine. I switched my ESN from the incredible to an old moto q that we have for this purpose, about an hour before. I get to the store, and the worker tells me my phone won't work on Verizon ... Which is far from true. It's a Verizon phone, and I have done this numerous times without issue. I finally convinced the guy to attempt the esn switch for her. He tried, and told me, "the phone is active under another account." which was all the info he could give me. I immediately thought maybe the previous owner sold me a phone with a bad ESN, but somehow I activated it before it was blacklisted.??? So, I nervously attempted to put my incredible back on my page plus account ... Thinking the esn was now bad, I wouldn't be able to ... Nope, it activated without issue back on to page plus. My question is, is it possible that my esn is bad, though it seems unlikely as I was able to reactivate, or is it possible that the network was slow and the esn had not been completely cleared from my account, and therefore showed up as being active?? I want to sell my incredible, but I don't want to sell it thinking the esn is fine, then subsequently, screwing someone over .... Any help would be much appreciated.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I think you ran into a dumb rep/ slow system. You can call verizon and have the esn verified.

sent from somewhere...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Forum.

I've never heard of "Page Plus" but there are a number of companies, small ones with limited capacities, that will take a phone with a bad ESN and activate it. If the rep said the account is still active there is a good chance that the person who sold you the phone probably didn't complete their contract and has not paid for the phone.

So technically speaking if it does not have a good ESN it's a phone obtained illegally. This is why I warn people never to buy from Craig's List. I hang out in this Forum a lot and I see this frequently.

And these companies that activate the phones, many times they don't provide data and you cannot get OTA updates. Bottom line if it's a phone made for use on Verizon it should stay on Verizon.

OP
M

Marybrigid

Reaction score
Page plus is actually not a small company. It is a pre paid phone provider which uses the Verizon network, therefore only Verizon phones. Before purchasing this phone, I did have an esn check ran, but still sometimes, bad esn's don't show up immediately. I guess the weird thing is, if the esn is bad on Verizon, it would be bad on page plus, as page p,us piggybacks Verizon. That is what makes this all very confusing.
Tried calling Verizon, they will not check the ESN, as I do not have an account with them.
Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Page plus is actually not a small company. It is a pre paid phone provider which uses the Verizon network, therefore only Verizon phones. Before purchasing this phone, I did have an esn check ran, but still sometimes, bad esn's don't show up immediately. I guess the weird thing is, if the esn is bad on Verizon, it would be bad on page plus, as page p,us piggybacks Verizon. That is what makes this all very confusing.
Tried calling Verizon, they will not check the ESN, as I do not have an account with them.
Thanks!

They won't check the ESN? No, tell them that you are looking at purchasing the phone and you want to make sure that the ESN is good. Whomever you got on the phone wasn't very helpful.