ESE53 vs ESE81

Discussion in 'Adamz' started by jRaskell, Apr 1, 2010.

1. jRaskell

jRaskell New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I'm currently running Adamz's Smoked Glass 6.0.1 with Android 2.1 ESE 53. Been running that for over a week now and loving it.

I've recently been reading some threads on updating to ESE81, but I haven't seen anything on what that'll give me that I don't already have. I have multi-touch, live wallpapers, increased home screens, 3D photo gallery. What does ESE81 offer that I don't have or can't get with my current ESE53 setup? Are there further optimizations available to make it run faster. (I'm also currently running at 1.1ghz with no issues, so everything's running super smooth for me)

2. alm0614

alm0614 Active Member

Ratings:
    +5
    :bump:

interested in this as well..

3. ldimick

ldimick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I read that there are some optimizations for the radio that extend battery life. But I am with you on this one. I have Ultimate Droid 9 running VERY smoothly. It is exciting to get a new release but I am in no hurry to be a lemming on this one.

4. gatewayad

gatewayad Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree i have had SG 6.0 for a couple weeks now and running very smooth with improved battery life, I think untill one of these guys like Adamz updates his rom just may stay where I am. I am very thankful to all the devs here that help us stay ahead of the majority of Droid owners.
    Off topic the music app 3 rocks!!!!!

5. Myth

Myth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also interested in this. I'd like to stay just as I am with SG 6.01, but I just want to be sure I'll be able to install any future revs of SG (or any other ROM based on the official update) if I *don't* have the OTA update.

6. serveitup911

serveitup911 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think ESE81 will really have new features over ESE53, maybe just some slight optimizations and stability tweaks.

Although, his ESE53 build is already very stable!

The baseband upgrade is completely separate from the ROM.

7. justauser

justauser New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I find no difference

I find little difference in actual use. The standard browser does use pinch/zoom, but I had switched to Dolphin long ago and so this doesn't add anything. And I don't use LiveWallpaper. We didn't get 5 home screens, sigh. Perhaps radio and battery will be better, as suggested by some above.

8. dave4100

dave4100 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder how long it will take to root ESE 81 without having to go back to 2.0.1 first.

9. bigben

bigben New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All ready done. Check around there are at least 3 versions out.

10. serveitup911

serveitup911 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not exactly... A root exploit has not been found yet for ESE81.
    A non-rooted ESE 81 phone cannot gain root access through the update.zip method yet. You need to have a modified version of recovery (sprecovery or clockwork) for the ones posted to work. People who received ESE81 OTA do not have this, and therefore cannot root YET.

11. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    So...I was asking myself the same thing yesterday. But rather than post the question and wait for a bunch of silly responses I went ahead and updated manually. Here is the result:

I am searching for the best way to get back to smoked glass 6.01.

OK...seriously. I had the 5 screens on my home. I had 900 mhz ( I kept it conservative...could have gone faster but did not feel a need). I had pinch to zoom. I had this Droid doing everything I wanted. I was happy.

But I was also bored and wanted an answer to the OP's original question. So I ran the OTA update manually.

My launcher is now more laggy. I am stuck at 550 Mhz. I have a new baseband that supposedly makes my radio work better, but I can't for the life of me tell the difference. Some are reporting better 3G coverage. I'm calling BS...but what do I know? I very rarely got the dreaded 1x service so those who did get it a lot may have a different opine than I have.

My personal opion is, keep your root and learn to be satisfied with what you have. Going back is a PITA! We live in a society of "I want more and I want it now!" But you guys that are rooted and running SG6 already have more and need to learn to be satisfied and learn to be patient (yeah...me too). You think Adamz going to ignore this update? I'm betting the whole root comunity will have a whole new playground to play in now. In a few days or weeks we will see ROMs and rooting for 2.1. Give it some time. Once the developers figure out how to exploit it, then play with it. For now...sit back and enjoy your overclocked supercharged phone. In the meantime...I am off to figure out RSDLite. Hope to be back to root by noon today.

See ya.

Nate

12. GodfatherIP

GodfatherIP Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) ESE53 was basically a beta version of of android 2.1 that they didn't release so it should have all of the features seen in the actual 2.1 release, ESE81, but may have some bugs that were worked out before the final release. One of the biggest things included with the update is the new baseband but you can get that as an update.zip or through rom manager and install it regardless of what rom you are using so there is no need to take the OTA to get the new baseband. If you really want to try out ESE81 there are some rooted versions that have already been posted but if you take the OTA you will not be able to root it until they find a new exploit. Also I know ChevyNo1 is already working on an ESE81 Simply Stunning rom that might be released today. Basically there is no reason to take the official release because you will lose root access and can't do fun stuff like overclocking, metamorph theming, or wifi-tethering. Once you hack you never go back!

If you did mess up and install the OTA apparently you can use sbf to get back to stock 2.0.1 and then root it again. Check out the posts on unbricking your phone with sbf to find out how.

Search tags for this page

ese81updateezip