ES File Explorer

Trever1t

Reaction score
Can someone give me an easy way to "add server". I assume this is how I can file share with my home network? Laptop?

Right?

Step by step is you don't mind :)

angryunibrow

Reaction score
I'd like to know this too using windows 7.
I think I understand the phone part...just not the computer part with the networking.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm using XP so I don't know about Windows 7 but I would assume it would be the same or similar.

1. First get your computer's IP address...

Windows XP, without using the command prompt

1. From the Start menu, right-click My Network Places, and then click Properties.
  2. To view the IP address of a wired connection, double-click Local Area Connection. To view the IP address of a wireless adapter, double-click Wireless Network Connection.
  3. Click the Support tab, and then click Details... . The window that appears will display the IP address.
Windows 7, Vista, XP, and 2000, using the command prompt

1. Click Start, and then select All Programs (Windows 7, Vista, and XP) or Programs (2000). Note: If this doesn't match what you see, refer to About navigation settings in Windows.
  2. Click Accessories, and then Command Prompt.
  3. At the command prompt, enter: ipconfig The IP address (or IPv4 address, if you are using Windows 7 or Vista) will be a series of numbers following the pattern xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (i.e., 156.56.27.32).
2. Open EStrongs on your Droid > click on Remote > press Menu button > New > Server > add you IP address....

You must have a username and password login for you PC set. (when you load windows it asks you to enter password.... you have to have a password set in order for this to work.)

3. Enter you username and password in the provided fields. This will give you complete access to your PC.
**If you don't wish to be able to view all folders on your PC, and you only want to be able to view certain 'shared' folders... when you add the IP address, at the end, add "/My Documents" (My Documents is an example... add what ever folder name you wish to have access to.)

4. Select to remember your username and password. Now you should be all set!

angryunibrow

Reaction score
I'm using XP so I don't know about Windows 7 but I would assume it would be the same or similar.

1. First get your computer's IP address...

Windows XP, without using the command prompt

1. From the Start menu, right-click My Network Places, and then click Properties.
  2. To view the IP address of a wired connection, double-click Local Area Connection. To view the IP address of a wireless adapter, double-click Wireless Network Connection.
  3. Click the Support tab, and then click Details... . The window that appears will display the IP address.
Windows 7, Vista, XP, and 2000, using the command prompt

1. Click Start, and then select All Programs (Windows 7, Vista, and XP) or Programs (2000). Note: If this doesn't match what you see, refer to About navigation settings in Windows.
  2. Click Accessories, and then Command Prompt.
  3. At the command prompt, enter: ipconfig The IP address (or IPv4 address, if you are using Windows 7 or Vista) will be a series of numbers following the pattern xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (i.e., 156.56.27.32).
2. Open EStrongs on your Droid > click on Remote > press Menu button > New > Server > add you IP address....

You must have a username and password login for you PC set. (when you load windows it asks you to enter password.... you have to have a password set in order for this to work.)

3. Enter you username and password in the provided fields. This will give you complete access to your PC.
**If you don't wish to be able to view all folders on your PC, and you only want to be able to view certain 'shared' folders... when you add the IP address, at the end, add "/My Documents" (My Documents is an example... add what ever folder name you wish to have access to.)

4. Select to remember your username and password. Now you should be all set!

You need a password :(
Damn...

I know its not a big deal, but I was hoping you didn't have to do that to get this to work

OP
Trever1t

Trever1t

Reaction score
I'm working with my laptop...I have the IPv4 address. What name and password, one isnt required for me to start W7 on this laptop. I'm a bit thickheaded sometimes ;) Appreciate the help!

angryunibrow

Reaction score
OK got it to work with windows 7

Go to Control Panel and select user accounts on your Win 7 PC.
I only have 1 account on there and its mine and is set as Administrator.
The account is called Home
I set a password for this account. (so now when you turn on your PC you will have to enter that password everytime) (I know a PITA)

Open EStrongs on your Droid > click on Remote > press Menu button > New > Server > add you IP address....

Mine was 192.168.1.101

I entered my user name Home
I entered my Password xxxx

Click OK and it connected!

Of course for all this to work you MUST be connected to your WIFI connection not 3G

Reaction score
this is for what? to share files between the droid and the computer through your network? what do I need es file explorer thats it?

thanks

angryunibrow

Reaction score
this is for what? to share files between the droid and the computer through your network? what do I need es file explorer thats it?

thanks

Correct.

Now I can turn on my WIFI on my phone when I am home and transfer files to my phone from any place on my PC.

Since I have gotten this to work, I have tried all sorts of files and so far its worked perfectly!

Now i do not have to grab my USB cable and mount my phone to the PC to add files.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification with Windows 7.... as I said I'm using XP so I wasn't certain of any differences between the set up.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm working with my laptop...I have the IPv4 address. What name and password, one isnt required for me to start W7 on this laptop. I'm a bit thickheaded sometimes ;) Appreciate the help!

you need to go to control panel > user accounts and create a user name and password.

jnev

Reaction score
I've been trying to get this to work on my droid for a while now, and have been unable to. I have wifi turned on, but my droid will not, for whatever reason, connect to either of my computers that I have file-sharing enabled for (one mac (with smb enabled), one W7). I've tried setting it up with username/password and anonymously, and neither will connect. Both computers are running static IPs.

I've setup plenty of networks in the past, so I'm baffled as to why I'm unable to connect with my droid.

Reaction score
Do you know why music that I transfered through my network using estrong over to the Droid shows up on the SD card when looking using Estrong but in the actual stock music player the files arent there?

I now re-transfered using the usb cable and the stock media player now sees the files.

angryunibrow

Reaction score
Do you know why music that I transfered through my network using estrong over to the Droid shows up on the SD card when looking using Estrong but in the actual stock music player the files arent there?

I now re-transfered using the usb cable and the stock media player now sees the files.

This has to do with mounting and remounting the sd card I believe
This process takes place when you connect USB, but not when you transfer through WIFI.

I just restarted my phone and all was good again