ES File Explorer Receives Update Including Adware!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I dumped ES last time we talking about this and went back to Astro.
Just like Jonny I used it daily in the 'old' days...not so much anymore.

I have like 130 apps on my phone.I'm not dealing with that manually. If someone puts out an update I don't like, I just move on to something else. Pretty easy nowadays with the robust ecosystem we have today.
I can certainly understand your pov, but it doesn't bother me. I currently have 110 apps on my device, 65 of which are waiting to be updated. Almost half of those are system apps like Gmail, Hangouts, YouTube etc.

The way I see it is: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I'll go into the Play Store if I'm bored or watching tv and scroll through a few apps at a time. If an update looks like it's worth my time I'll take it. Otherwise I'll leave it alone. It's saved me from losing, or having to switch out many a decent app.

S5 tap'n

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I can certainly understand your pov, but it doesn't bother me. I currently have 110 apps on my device, 65 of which are waiting to be updated. Almost half of those are system apps like Gmail, Hangouts, YouTube etc.

The way I see it is: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I'll go into the Play Store if I'm bored or watching tv and scroll through a few apps at a time. If an update looks like it's worth my time I'll take it. Otherwise I'll leave it alone. It's saved me from losing, or having to switch out many a decent app.

S5 tap'n
I am the same way. Maybe not 110 (never counted). But I still scroll through once a week or so and see if an update is something I might like and very selectively update apps. Even though the version of ES File Explorer I had was older and did not include the new adware, I uninstalled it anyway.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: cr6

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I just counted, not including Google apps or Amazon's own apps (Music, Shopping) I have 67. Not as many as I thought.
Actually, that was the old PereDroid.
I have sort of changed my ways since I had an update on my old T2 crash my phone (I later learned it was NOT an apps fault). So just this past month or so, I have turned off auto update. Anytime my backlog of updates reaches double figures, I take the time to see if any of my favored apps have any new features, and then just install anything pending. I used to do this with every app back in the day. LOVED updates.
So i read whats changed and install all waiting apps.
So I guess I'm a bit more cognizant of what apps are doing what, but they are all always up-to-date.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just counted, not including Google apps or Amazon's own apps (Music, Shopping) I have 67. Not as many as I thought.
Actually, that was the old PereDroid.
I have sort of changed my ways since I had an update on my old T2 crash my phone (I later learned it was NOT an apps fault). So just this past month or so, I have turned off auto update. Anytime my backlog of updates reaches double figures, I take the time to see if any of my favored apps have any new features, and then just install anything pending. I used to do this with every app back in the day. LOVED updates.
So i read whats changed and install all waiting apps.
So I guess I'm a bit more cognizant of what apps are doing what, but they are all always up-to-date.
I get notified when I get updates but keep it on manual update. I look at them individually for recent reviews (if something isn't good there'll be PLENTY of complaints) if I see nothing to be concerned about I update it. I get no more than 3-5 a day so it's pretty manageable and most that introduce bugs get a quick fix follow up update. I'm still looking for another gallery app to replace Quikpic because of their introduction of junk. Clean Sweep is setup so it's easy to disable their bloat as well so I'm not in a big hurry to replace either yet. When ES introduced that file scanner thing for every new app install or update it had to go.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I dumped ES a while back because of the Spyware, and was lead to Mixplorer by a peep on another forum.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

tommyg562000

Reaction score
I removed ES File Explorer over a year ago and installed Solid Explorer. No complaints and it has the same functionality that ESFE has.

Thanks for the suggestion of Solid Explorer; I installed it and its very nice. I got rid of ES as soon as I saw that charge boost pop-up!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Dumped ES as soon as I got my Note 5. Sticking with the stock file manager works well enough

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
I have uninstalled ES and at first I was going to go back to Astro but decided to give File Manager from ZenUI/ASUS a go. So far seems pretty good. It has the same rating as Solid Explorer. Had Solid been higher in the search results I might have went with that one instead of the one from ASUS.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I'm actually in the hunt for a new file explorer. The thing about ES that helped me is that I work on a Mac at work with files 2GB-5GB in size and I use my phone as a USB drive to bring work home.

ES file seamlessly connects my N6 file system to my mac at work, but without it my N6 only connects as a camera allowing only access to the DCIM folder. If I put my files in the DCIM folder all of the images get treated like my personal pictures and the phone begins to catalog them... hundreds of them. Annoying. Why can't companies just be cool?

pchain

Reaction score
As a replacement, my first impressions of Solid Explorer are positive...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
File Manager by Cheetah Mobile. Has everything ES has. I like that I can see the # of files in a folder when looking at a folder list. That way I know nothing is in it without having to open it up. Give access to Cloud, Network, etc.

File Manager (File transfer) - Android Apps on Google Play

Rich
I don't trust Cheetah Mobile any farther than I can throw them after the QuickPic (or whatever) saga. I wouldn't recommend anything by them ever.

Just my opinion of course, but they're shady.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk